Gophers picked for Outback Bowl vs Auburn

Even without that loss, we'd have two losses to Ohio State, while Michigan would have one.

The Rose would find a way to take Michigan.
They don't need to, "find a way." Michigan would be the easy (and correct) choice. Minnesota lost to Bowling Green. All else equal, they should be below any other three loss team.

They don't need to, "find a way." Michigan would be the easy (and correct) choice. Minnesota lost to Bowling Green.
Even without that loss ...

Regardless, it would come down to CFP committee ranking. Even without that loss, I doubt we would get ranked higher than 11-1 Michigan.

It's win the Big Ten, or bust, if we want a NY6 bowl. I frankly hope in that case that we land outside the top 4, and go to the Rose.

They don't need to, "find a way." Michigan would be the easy (and correct) choice. Minnesota lost to Bowling Green. All else equal, they should be below any other three loss team.

False. These things are as objective as early season rankings. A trashy game early in the year doesn't determine what a team looks like at the end. If the Gophers swept their way to the BTCG and lost a close game to OSU.....there would be plenty of three loss teams below them in the pecking order. Especially if OSU ends up making the playoffs.

Seems pretty disconnected from the teams / fams and just like some jingoistic thing a committee would come up with.
Wisconsin/Nebraska is widely known for being a hard fought battle to see who can respect the troops more.

Even without that loss ...

Regardless, it would come down to CFP committee ranking. Even without that loss, I doubt we would get ranked higher than 11-1 Michigan.

It's win the Big Ten, or bust, if we want a NY6 bowl. I frankly hope in that case that we land outside the top 4, and go to the Rose.
A 2 loss team has not yet made the college football playoff. 12-1 Ohio State was left out in the 2018 season likely due to their bad loss to Purdue, so the playoff is almost certainly not happening for the Gophers. Short of winning the Big Ten, it's probably Las Vegas, Music City, Outback, or Citrus, assuming the Gophers go somewhere between 3-2 and 5-0 to end the regular season.

Thanks for this info, but fan accommodations is far down on my list of reasons for saying what I did.

At the very least, if we have to go right back to the Outback Bowl ... I mean damn, pick a different opponent! Would just be lame to immediately repeat the bowl game from 2019.
Right. Outback is fine. Just give us someone else in SEC.

False. These things are as objective as early season rankings. A trashy game early in the year doesn't determine what a team looks like at the end. If the Gophers swept their way to the BTCG and lost a close game to OSU.....there would be plenty of three loss teams below them in the pecking order. Especially if OSU ends up making the playoffs.
Lets say that Minnesota makes it to the championship game as a three loss team over Iowa, who loses two down the stretch (including one to the Gophers). Iowa would still deserve a better bowl game, because they didn't lose to one of (if not the single) worst FBS team in the country.

The B1G and the bowls aren't going to look kindly at that loss.

Lets say that Minnesota makes it to the championship game as a three loss team over Iowa, who loses two down the stretch (including one to the Gophers). Iowa would still deserve a better bowl game, because they didn't lose to one of (if not the single) worst FBS team in the country.

So if Minnesota wins head-to-head with Iowa, bowl committees would put more weight on BG loss than win over Iowa? Good thinking.

Nonsense. Teams drop games early in the year that they have no business losing. Having the head to head win.....and the common opponent victory over Purdue.....along with winning the West. Nope. The Gophers would deserve the better bowl.....and they'd get it because the people who decide these things aren't stupider than a rock. Plus the Gophers would likely end with the higher ranking.

In my lifetime I wanted to see a New Years Day bowl game. Well check that off. Now it’s a Rose Bowl. Aim high I say and I hope the Gophers can pull it off.

So if Minnesota wins head-to-head with Iowa, bowl committees would put more weight on BG loss than win over Iowa? Good thinking.
Yes, because it was bowling green. I don't think people appreciate exactly how bad that loss was.

That wasn't just a bad performance. They lost to the worst team in the MAC. Bowling Green has two wins this year. One of them is against Murray State.

That's enough to give Iowa / Nebraska / Wisconsin / Purdue an argument for a better bowl, even if the Gophers end up winning the West (which is still improbable).

Nonsense. Teams drop games early in the year that they have no business losing. Having the head to head win.....and the common opponent victory over Purdue.....along with winning the West. Nope. The Gophers would deserve the better bowl.....and they'd get it because the people who decide these things aren't stupider than a rock. Plus the Gophers would likely end with the higher ranking.
I'd have to do some research but it's not hard to have a 9-4 team ranked lower than a 10-2 team even with a head to head. In '19 the AP put PSU ahead of us and Wisconsin behind regardless of our H-2-H

Yes, because it was bowling green. I don't think people appreciate exactly how bad that loss was.

That wasn't just a bad performance. They lost to the worst team in the MAC. Bowling Green has two wins this year. One of them is against Murray State.

That's enough to give Iowa / Nebraska / Wisconsin / Purdue an argument for a better bowl, even if the Gophers end up winning the West (which is still improbable).
If we win the West, Wisconsin or Iowa getting a better bowl than us certainly seems possible, as there are scenarios where they finish with an equal or better overall record than Minnesota, but there's absolutely no way that a 6-6 or 7-5 Purdue or Nebraska gets placed in a bowl ahead of a 9-4 or 10-3 Minnesota. 2018 Northwestern had a 9-4 record with a loss to a 4-8 Akron team and still went to the Holiday Bowl. They didn't get passed up for a 7-5 Wisconsin or 6-6 Minnesota just because of an ugly non-conference loss.

I'd have to do some research but it's not hard to have a 9-4 team ranked lower than a 10-2 team even with a head to head. In '19 the AP put PSU ahead of us and Wisconsin behind regardless of our H-2-H

That's true.....but PSU and Minnesota were both 11-2. Wisconsin was 10-4. And we all finished 9th, 10th, and 11th. Part of it definitely has to do with the fact that we had risen to #7 before dropping two of our last three. Strong finishes help.....as it's always easier to drop than rise. That's why I'd think that in the situation that the Gophers win out and Iowa loses at least one more.....that we'd be higher ranked. But again....you're correct. Never know what the AP is going to do.

And the only ones talking about it are us. You keep harping on it but no one will care come the end of the season if the Gophers end up in the BTTG.

Hell I would say nationally speaking Illinois beating Penn State was talked about more...

A 2 loss team has not yet made the college football playoff.
True, and this was already brought up in a different thread. Like I said there, this is only to do with not yet having a reasonable scenario where it would be legit to do that. Not because they'll never do that with a 4-team bracket.

I think best chance for the Rose Bowl is winning the West and beating OSU or MSU in Indy. Pretty sure we wouldn't make the playoffs but the Rose Bowl would take the BIG champions.

A 2 loss team has not yet made the college football playoff. 12-1 Ohio State was left out in the 2018 season likely due to their bad loss to Purdue, so the playoff is almost certainly not happening for the Gophers. Short of winning the Big Ten, it's probably Las Vegas, Music City, Outback, or Citrus, assuming the Gophers go somewhere between 3-2 and 5-0 to end the regular season.
You are comparing this season to 2018
In 2018 the gophers would be eliminated. In 2021 they are not.

They are probably a 50/50 shot to make the playoff if they finish 11-2 and would be largely at the mercy of Oregon, the second place big ten east team having 2 losses, cinci having one loss, Georgia and Alabama combing for 3 losses instead of 2 etc

In 2018 at this point there were 12 P5 teams left unbeaten or one loss. This year is 8 and 3 are in the conference the gophers could still win.

Last edited:

I think best chance for the Rose Bowl is winning the West and beating OSU or MSU in Indy. Pretty sure we wouldn't make the playoffs but the Rose Bowl would take the BIG champions.
I would agree with this
The 100% lock way for the rose bowl would be to lose to Illinois, THEN win out

And the only ones talking about it are us. You keep harping on it but no one will care come the end of the season if the Gophers end up in the BTTG.

Hell I would say nationally speaking Illinois beating Penn State was talked about more...
Most national platforms that I have seen have brought up the Bowling Green loss when they mention that Minnesota is now leading the B1G West. Perhaps that will not be the case in a couple weeks.

If Minnesota, Iowa, and Purdue finish in a 3-way tie for second at 5-3 in conference play (which is very possible), the Bowling Green loss will absolutely be on the minds of the bowl committees.

True, and this was already brought up in a different thread. Like I said there, this is only to do with not yet having a reasonable scenario where it would be legit to do that. Not because they'll never do that with a 4-team bracket.
Oh yeah a 2 loss team could theoretically get in, I’m just saying that the fact we have 2 losses is likely just as damaging as the fact that one was to Bowling Green. Mostly I’m just tired of the “season is ruined because of Bowling Green” Eeyore takes. We’d still be in a tough spot if we beat Bowling Green but lost to Purdue or Colorado or something, just by virtue of having 2 losses.

It's pretty much the only way to make the Rose Bowl. I suppose there would be a fraction of a chance if MN hammers both Iowa and Wisc and loses a squeaker in the B1G title game, but even then I can already hear the chorus of screams about the "weak" West division and how 1 conference loss MSU/OSU should be chosen above MN.

That would definitely be the best chance. Winning nine straight including a huge upset over OSU. But if the Gophers win out and lose in the championship in a close game....there is still a shot. OSU is bound to hand Michigan a second loss. OSU should take down MSU as well. I think that both Purdue AND PSU have a shot to hand MSU a second loss on the year. If that happens.....I would think the Gophers would have a shot to go to the Rose Bowl if OSU goes to the CFP and the the Gophers third loss came in the championship.

Got to hope that OSU wins out and MSU drops one more game other than against OSU.

Oh yeah a 2 loss team could theoretically get in, I’m just saying that the fact we have 2 losses is likely just as damaging as the fact that one was to Bowling Green. Mostly I’m just tired of the “season is ruined because of Bowling Green” Eeyore takes. We’d still be in a tough spot if we beat Bowling Green but lost to Purdue or Colorado or something, just by virtue of having 2 losses.
Yep, agree.

Top Bottom