Gophers Path to the NIT? 18 Wins Should Do It

last year's team had no depth.

this year's team, on paper, is deeper and more athletic. But, due to the injuries, they will be relying on true Freshmen to provide that depth during the grueling B1G season. That is asking a lot.

last year's team finished 13-17 overall, 4-16 in the B1G.

so, if they go 8-12 in the B1G this season, that puts them at 17-13 overall. that would be a step forward. I don't know if that gets them into the NIT.

with Fox and Ihnen, this is a 20-win team. without them, I just don't know.

This team don't have Fox & Ihnen.
They have 2 all Big Ten players( according to most on this forum) Garcia & Battle, why is that not enough ?

The free throws are what is really bugging me. Some of these guys make Stephens, Loewe, Sutherlin, Willis look a lot better.

How has Cooper's effort looked as of late?

They have 2 all Big Ten players( according to most on this forum) Garcia & Battle, why is that not enough ?
We have played uninspiring defense.

Cooper is very erratic....he is very good, he is horrible. I think he can defend but often doesn't. He can pass but gets us in trouble with his decisions. Oh, he is the only possible Big Ten guard we have in 2022. Carrington and Henley hopefully become Big Ten guards but they are not there yet.

We get out rebounded often....you need four shots to score? we'll give em to ya.

You might as well foul us because we can't make free throws.

Garcia and Battle have played what? 2 games in their life together? Garcia is not yet confident on what his role on the team is or how he can best help this team. He's thinking too much.

The four freshmen can be good if they get consistent playing time...but that good is probably next year or much later in the season....not today.

Ben is in his second season as a head coach. He has a brand new team in year two. He seems to be doing and emphasizing different things than last year. There is uncertainty there.

Throw in Battle just returned from surgery and needs to find his game again.

So, those reasons and 39 other reasons suggest those two might not be enough in 22/23.

With the loss to Va Tech, the Gophers are 0-1 in Hodger’s “Likely Underdogs (go 4-9)” bucket.

Go Gophers!!

After the loss at Purdue, Gophers are 0-2 in Hodger’s “Likely Underdogs (go 4-9; currently 0-2)” bucket.

Go Gophers!!

After tonight's nonsense vs Michigan, the Gophers are now 0-3 in Hodger's "Likely Underdogs (go 4-9; currently 0-2)" bucket.

Go Gophers!!

How do the Gophers count to 10? 0 and 1, 0 and 2, 0 and 3, 0 and 4.........

Joking of course. Full support, just frustrated.

They will be winless in the Big Ten. (sigh)

Shit, I don't see a path to 8 wins at this point. Gonna require an upset in big 10 play. I doubt we'll be favored against anyone in the big 10.
Considering we play Nebraska at home very early, you're probably right. And if we don't win that one, 0-20 becomes a very real possibility.

Considering we play Nebraska at home very early, you're probably right. And if we don't win that one, 0-20 becomes a very real possibility.
There's always NW too. Maybe they owe Ben a favor : )

Not going 0-20 in the Big 10. Even the 2015 team found a way to win 2 games.
4-16 at worst

We only managed 4 wins last year, and the bottom of the league(NW and Nebraska) are significantly better than last year, and we are significantly worse. I'd be completely stunned if we got 4 wins. Sagarin has us going 0-20, so unfortunately, it isn't inconceivable.

After what we’ve seen so far, if I had to set an over/under for Gopher Big Ten wins it would be 2.5. Not getting to play Northwestern at home doesn’t help.

I’d still take the over, but not with much confidence.

After what we’ve seen so far, if I had to set an over/under for Gopher Big Ten wins it would be 2.5. Not getting to play Northwestern at home doesn’t help.

If we don't beat APB, Chicago State and Alcorn State, fire everyone.

After the loss to Mississippi State, the Gophers are 0-3 in Hodger’s “60-40/40-60 Balls (go 6-4; currently 0-3)” bucket.

Go Gophers!!

Ken Pom has the Gophers as an underdog in EVERY Big Ten game moving forward. But, there are enough close ones that the current projection is 3-17.

He has 9-22 overall.

Ouch.

The obsession with Ihnen, who has averaged roughly 3 pts and 3 rebounds per game in his career, is so funny to me. We've seen him play. He was not very good. Two torn ACLs later and he is going to be great? I know you're not saying it. Its just baffling that he is thought of as this huge help. He might be an improvement over Treyton Thompson but thats a very low bar to clear.

Fox? No idea. Limited scorer away from the hoop but will provide defense, rebounding and energy if healthy. I think fans will like want to root for him. So thats helpful. But needs to be healthy to help.

Northwestern isn't as bad as I thought they'd be. Beat michigan st @ michigan st. Lost to Auburn by 1 in what I'm sure was a horrendous game to watch (43-42). Few large margin of victories over mid-majors.

their two losses are @ #11 Auburn and what may be a decent Pitt team.

All this to say I think a home game against northwestern may still have this gopher team as a slight underdog.

The obsession with Ihnen, who has averaged roughly 3 pts and 3 rebounds per game in his career, is so funny to me. We've seen him play. He was not very good. Two torn ACLs later and he is going to be great? I know you're not saying it. Its just baffling that he is thought of as this huge help. He might be an improvement over Treyton Thompson but thats a very low bar to clear.

Fox? No idea. Limited scorer away from the hoop but will provide defense, rebounding and energy if healthy. I think fans will like want to root for him. So thats helpful. But needs to be healthy to help.
Correct. He has never been much more than a role player.

Nothing to worry about and nothing that would change the trajectory of this team other than having a little more depth. We need guards anyway.

Last edited:

Northwestern isn't as bad as I thought they'd be. Beat michigan st @ michigan st. Lost to Auburn by 1 in what I'm sure was a horrendous game to watch (43-42). Few large margin of victories over mid-majors.

their two losses are @ #11 Auburn and what may be a decent Pitt team.

All this to say I think a home game against northwestern may still have this gopher team as a slight underdog.
Slight?
NWern beats us by 15 or better.

Good thing they don't play St. Thomas or Mankato State this year. If we won, both would be single digit games at best.

Slight?
NWern beats us by 15 or better.

Good thing they don't play St. Thomas or Mankato State this year. If we won, both would be single digit games at best.
I didnt say what the score would be. I said what the line would be. I dont think jNW is great and the gophers would get the home court spread swing.

I make $100 every gopher game, more or less, betting against them. The one time I bet on them this year they won against Cal St Baptist. So its been fruitful.

I didnt say what the score would be. I said what the line would be. I dont think jNW is great and the gophers would get the home court spread swing.

I make $100 every gopher game, more or less, betting against them. The one time I bet on them this year they won against Cal St Baptist. So its been fruitful.
I'm with ya. Just a little negative this morning. Watching the Vikings didn't help. Then more gopher bball that can't compete in any way with a real team.
Sigh...

Top Bottom