Gophers open as -9.5 point favorites against Purdue

i don’t think they can cover with him, unless the Gophers don’t come ready to play
I haven’t watched enough Purdue defense to know whether or not they can hold gophers under 30

If gophers score 30+ they have no chance of covering

I haven’t watched enough Purdue defense to know whether or not they can hold gophers under 30

They are an average CFB defense, from what i have seen, including last night’s embarrassing near debacle against FAU. So, a team the Gophers have been beating regularly in recent times, at home, and where that team has an average D, a non-existent running O, and a good passing O, but may be without their very good, but injured QB. This on paper looks like a very bad matchup in favor of the Gophers.

Of further note…Brohm himself said something to the effect of we are not a very good football team right now in his post-game interview yesterday. Even from the coaching staff, there appears to be a lack of confidence. All of this said, they looked strong in the opener against Penn State, so who knows.

Purdue will lose by 20+ if their QB is out. Will look like the first 4 games of the season

Purdue traditionally plays Gophers tough. Definitely no love lost between the staffs, Brohm and Fleck.

As for the Boilers defense, I believe that FAU gifted them two interceptions that were easy grabs.

Although Purdue's offense was not producing with the back-up QB, the D was not handling the Eagles that well either.

As noted above, Brohm was not a happy coach with that W. He made some side allusion to visiting us next on the schedule and it was actually a compliment to us (and our HC) at least for him.

Purdue traditionally plays Gophers tough. Definitely no love lost between the staffs, Brohm and Fleck.
Purdue hasn't won in Minneapolis since Brewster's first year. If Gophers pull it out, they'll have won 9 of the last 10. But to your point yes, the games in the last decade have been close. Only three blowouts, with two of those coming at the hands of the Gophers.

Purdue hasn't won in Minneapolis since Brewster's first year. If Gophers pull it out, they'll have won 9 of the last 10. But to your point yes, the games in the last decade have been close. Only three blowouts, with two of those coming at the hands of the Gophers.
Yep, but Mason's years in the 'Dome and W. Lafayette were not pretty prior to that:

1997 L 59-43 Dome
1998 L 56-21 W. Lafayette
1999 L 33-28 Dome
2000 L 38-24 W. Lafayette
2001 L 35-28 Dome
2002 L 28-15 W. Lafayette
2005 W 35-42 2OT Dome
2006 L 27-21 West Lafayette

Didn't help that Drew Brees was their QB from 1997 to 2000. Also, the double-OT win in 2005 was a heck of game.

FAU ran all over Purdue. Purdue doesn’t match up well with the Gophers. They want to pass and that is the teeth of our defense. They also can’t run which leads to their already mediocre defense getting tired.
That’s kind of what I think.
And I’m not sure Purdue can score 14 if they don’t have AOC

FAU ran all over Purdue. Purdue doesn’t match up well with the Gophers. They want to pass and that is the teeth of our defense. They also can’t run which leads to their already mediocre defense getting tired.
i mean we are 3rd in rush defense in the country but i guess being 2nd in passing defense does make it our strength :D

Purdue did have success with a 6 oline package, I assume our defense could handle that but I don't recall anyone running it against us.

As for the Boilers defense, I believe that FAU gifted them two interceptions that were easy grabs.

Although Purdue's offense was not producing with the back-up QB, the D was not handling the Eagles that well either.

As noted above, Brohm was not a happy coach with that W. He made some side allusion to visiting us next on the schedule and it was actually a compliment to us (and our HC) at least for him.
Aren't they the Owls?

Purdue did have success with a 6 oline package, I assume our defense could handle that but I don't recall anyone running it against us.
Good thing is that we probably run against it in practice a lot (and can scheme against it), as it is a power set we use.

Good thing is that we probably run against it in practice a lot (and can scheme against it), as it is a power set we use.
Serious question, how much 1-1 is there in practice? I just assumed that the starters went against the scout team who mimicked the opponent. I e. that our starters wouldn't have been facing the 6 olineman package because our opposition wasn't running it.

I have and if we execute, they can't. FAU is not a good team but they put up 26 points and had over 400 yards of offense against Purdue.

Realistically the only shot Purdue has in this one is to win a shootout and without O'Connell I just don't see that happening. Even with him I have my doubts given how well our D is playing and the strength of our secondary.

Obviously all the usual caveats apply but if we play the way we have been playing so far this season, this one won't be close.

Serious question, how much 1-1 is there in practice? I just assumed that the starters went against the scout team who mimicked the opponent. I e. that our starters wouldn't have been facing the 6 olineman package because our opposition wasn't running it.
They cited doing a lot of 1s v 1s this off-season, spring, fall so I’d imagine they saw it a good portion all year

I’m sorry but -9.5 is way too close with an injured O’Connell!

Line will and should be -14 or -13.5, and I’d still take the Gophers!

Top Bottom