Gophers open as 2.5 point favorite over Michigan

Dies anyone have any actual information on Big Dan? Where did the opt out rumor actually start. Has he been in practice?
I think it's from behind the paywall. From reading between the lines I don't think he's been practicing and isn't excepted to play.

Our depth everyone is so thin. If we lose two d ends were starting Gage Keys. Lose two safeties and we're also on freshman. Same at pretty much every position except for Oline.

Every teams depth is thin, it's college football. I'll give you DE has little experience after Mafe and Otomewo, but if you lose 2 guys at any position you are likely bringing in someone with little experience. Seems like Michigan has the more inexperienced starters. Especially at QB, WR, DT, OL, and CB. DE Michigan has more experience and LB maybe slightly. RB and TEs are a wash.

I think it's from behind the paywall. From reading between the lines I don't think he's been practicing and isn't excepted to play.

I broke this few weeks ago; info directly from a player. I doubt we see Dunlap on the field this year as well due to injury.

So let’s just assume the starting O line for Michigan game is Schleuter, Olson, Schmitz, Ruschmeyer and Andries. That’s a good line. Clearly not as powerful with Dunlap and Faalele out, but maybe a bit more mobile and flexible? Wonder who is next up at OT if an injury?

I had this game even money. Looks like people hammered his line pretty hard to bring it down. Wouldn't be surprised if Michigan ends up favored briefly. This is as close to an evenly matched game as it gets, assuming Minnesota has their offensive line.

Last edited:

So let’s just assume the starting O line for Michigan game is Schleuter, Olson, Schmitz, Ruschmeyer and Andries. That’s a good line. Clearly not as powerful with Dunlap and Faalele out, but maybe a bit more mobile and flexible? Wonder who is next up at OT if an injury?
Dunlap isn't out though. Less or his "player" source, either accidentally or purposefully (maybe trying to smoke out who is leaking info to GH?), mixed up Dunlap with Oliver. The latter is who hurt his knee and likely won't play this year.

Dunlap isn't out though. Less or his "player" source, either accidentally or purposefully (maybe trying to smoke out who is leaking info to GH?), mixed up Dunlap with Oliver. The latter is who hurt his knee and likely won't play this year.
I sincerely hope you are right. Dunlap adds a lot in terms of power. His presence also gives the coaches more positional flexibility with guys like Olson and Andries. Hate to be a heretic, but I think we are OK if Faalale sits and Andries kicks out to RT next to Dunlap; get a little more dicey if Dunlap is also out.

Some neutral commentators I am reading have Michigan favored by 3 to 5 points. Basic argument is that there is little home field advantage, so their talent differential will prevail in the end for Michigan. One guy feels that between QB Joe Morris’s running ability, and the Gophers inexperienced front seven, we are in trouble. Michigan’s new OC will have all kinds of new looks and plays—much more wide open. The Gophers’ D might be both surprised and flat-footed. Who knows?

Last edited:

Some neutral commentators I am reading have Michigan favored by 3 to 5 points. Basic argument is that there is little home field advantage, so they talent differential will prevail in the end for Michigan. One guy feels that between QB Joe Morris’s running ability, and the Gophers inexperienced front seven, we are in trouble. Michigan’s new OC will have all kinds of new looks and plays—much more wide open. The Gophers’ D might be both surprised and flat-footed. Who knows?

I assume you mean Joe Milton? He played in a grand total of 3 games last year and was 3/7 for 59 yards. All three of his completions came in a 52-0 game against Rutgers. On the season, he rushed 5 times for 16 yards. In his game against Wisconsin, he rushed twice for 6 yards, and had two passing attempts. One was intercepted.

On the other side of the the ball, Minnesota is trotting out Tanner Morgan, who threw for 3,000+ yards and 30 touchdowns, ending the season with with the 5th highest passer rating in the country behind Tua (1st round draft pick), Burrow (1st round draft pick), Hurts (2nd round draft pick), and Fields (proj. 1st round draft pick). He'll be throwing to Bateman (1,200 yards and 11 touchdowns) and CAB (350 yards and 5 touchdowns). When he hands the ball off, it's going to Ibrahim (600 yards, 7 touchdowns, 5.3 ypc) who was stuck splitting touches with the Big Ten's 3rd leading rusher behind Dobbins (playing in the NFL) and Taylor (playing the the NFL) last year in Smith. By the end of the season, Ibrahim looked like the better rusher.

Even if the front seven is young / inexperienced (it's not), Minnesota is returning two fantastic corners in St. Juste and Durr so Minnesota will likely be able to bring players in run support or spy him, if necessary.

There's a lot of reasons Minnesota should probably be favored in this game, the fact that I don't have them favored is 100% Michigan's raw talent, but 3-pt favorites on the road with a first-time starter QB on O, going up against this offense on D? No way.

Some M-Live sports bloggers started their recent piece about the game by saying "Minnesota is a good football team."

Waited a long time to hear that from Meeesheeeegan types before the season has even started.

I sincerely hope you are right. Dunlap adds a lot in terms of power. His presence also gives the coaches more positional flexibility with guys like Olson and Andries. Hate to be a heretic, but I think we are OK if Faalale sits and Andries kicks out to RT next to Dunlap; get a little more dicey if Dunlap is also out.
I absolutely agree, we would be just fine with that line. Because that is what we had for the whole Auburn game.

It's the backups to that line, that are untested. But, as happens every season, someone who you weren't necessarily counting on at the beginning of the year, has to step up, at least for a time.

When Less first posted it, people with access to "behind the paywall" said there was nothing there about Dunlap being hurt. I refuse to believe that PJ Fleck has that much absolute control on all things surrounding his players that he could keep that under absolute wraps. Someone would've seen him on crutches, by now. Seen him on a hospital log to get surgery. Etc. It would've gotten out by now. People talk.

I assume you mean Joe Milton? He played in a grand total of 3 games last year and was 3/7 for 59 yards. All three of his completions came in a 52-0 game against Rutgers. On the season, he rushed 5 times for 16 yards. In his game against Wisconsin, he rushed twice for 6 yards, and had two passing attempts. One was intercepted.

On the other side of the the ball, Minnesota is trotting out Tanner Morgan, who threw for 3,000+ yards and 30 touchdowns, ending the season with with the 5th highest passer rating in the country behind Tua (1st round draft pick), Burrow (1st round draft pick), Hurts (2nd round draft pick), and Fields (proj. 1st round draft pick). He'll be throwing to Bateman (1,200 yards and 11 touchdowns) and CAB (350 yards and 5 touchdowns). When he hands the ball off, it's going to Ibrahim (600 yards, 7 touchdowns, 5.3 ypc) who was stuck splitting touches with the Big Ten's 3rd leading rusher behind Dobbins (playing in the NFL) and Taylor (playing the the NFL) last year in Smith. By the end of the season, Ibrahim looked like the better rusher.

Even if the front seven is young / inexperienced (it's not), Minnesota is returning two fantastic corners in St. Juste and Durr so Minnesota will likely be able to bring players in run support or spy him, if necessary.

There's a lot of reasons Minnesota should probably be favored in this game, the fact that I don't have them favored is 100% Michigan's raw talent, but 3-pt favorites on the road with a first-time starter QB on O, going up against this offense on D? No way.
I meant Milton, yes. Thanks for the catch. I agree that we bring a lot on offense—a lot—and that we have an extremely athletic defense, even if a bit short in game time experience. Michigan has a lot of new starters, too. This game could be a little ragged at times. If our offense can win TOP and put 28+ points on the board, Michigan’s new QB might have to be in play-from-behind mode, negating some of his supposed physical dominance. Small sample size to judge from, but his exceptionally strong arm has been countered at times by some questionable judgment on throws when flustered. Personally, I think this will be a great game, if we are prepared. I know it is a cliche, but given all the new starters that each team will trot out, the team that executes better and more consistently (and holds onto the ball) should win. Michigan will have some offensive surprises for us; hope we return the favor.

Untested backups are just that, but count me as having a little more faith in the unknown quantity than under previous coaching regimes. As recruiting has improved and we turn out more 3 year pros we should be starting to see some of our young players be more game ready as freshman/underclassmen than in years past.

I think the gophers are a clear favorite. Veteran offense with a star qb and wr vs a very inexperienced secondary. Michigan is starting a very inexperienced qb and wrs vs a veteran secondary. Michigan will need to be clicking with their running game, and have their good DEs really dominate. They are breaking in four new starters on The oline and their RBs are good but not phenomenal so I think we can handle their run game. And our oline should be up to the task as Michigan has strong DEs but weak DTs.

So let me ask this. If you see P.J. at a restaurant do you go up and say something? I chose not to last night but our waitress said he’s there all the time and people come up to him all the time and he’s very nice to everyone who approaches him. I could of asked him about the Faalele and Dunlap rumors lol!

So let me ask this. If you see P.J. at a restaurant do you go up and say something? I chose not to last night but our waitress said he’s there all the time and people come up to him all the time and he’s very nice to everyone who approaches him. I could of asked him about the Faalele and Dunlap rumors lol!
I totally get the hesitation to bother someone, but I absolutely would've gone up and at least said SUM-RTB-GG. I saw June Jones at a CPK when I lived in Hawaii and I totally went up and said howzit.

Coach Kill and I had the same barber. Yes, he needed one...

Anywho, my appointment was right after his once and I decided to let him have his haircut without any engagement. At the end though the barber did a nice transition that opened things up for a brief but fun conversation.

Coach Fleck and Heather are celebrities here in town. They expect some direct contact with fans, especially when out in public. I'd definitely wish them and the Gophers well but keep it short.

IMO, a thumbs-up sign, or "Row the Boat" as you walk by, sure; but asking questions about the team - nope. Let 'em enjoy dinner.

Depends on the restaurant.

Is Pittsburgh Blue elite? Have never eaten there.

I thought you were joking with your first post! I would have definitely said hi, but just to ask for a photo and it would probably be sorrounded in apologies for interrupting their dinner!

Morgan did not perform as well against WI as he had in prior games because the MN OL was not protecting him as well.
One can be sure the MI DC who is very experienced will go all out to rush the QB as WI did.
To me the ability to keep Morgan upright is the key to the game.

Morgan did not perform as well against WI as he had in prior games because the MN OL was not protecting him as well.
One can be sure the MI DC who is very experienced will go all out to rush the QB as WI did.
To me the ability to keep Morgan upright is the key to the game.
You'd think Auburn would've tried that, too?

If Michigan is going to try that, and especially if Dunlap isn't ready to go for the game, we need to have our screen game in tip-top form.

Screens eat blitzes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Top Bottom