Gophers offering bricks between $600-$2,500 to pay off Athletes Village debt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

The Gophers, trying to find a way to pay off their massive Athletes Village debt, are asking supporters to buy customized bricks for the village’s courtyard at prices from $600 to $2,500, depending on size.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shooter:

The Gophers, trying to find a way to pay off their massive Athletes Village debt, are asking supporters to buy customized bricks for the village’s courtyard at prices from $600 to $2,500, depending on size.

Go Gophers!!
They are going to make a lot of money because they have an endless supply of bricks to sell that are launched from the free throw line every game.

there is a thread about this on the Football board.

as far as I know, nobody outside of Coyle's office actually knows how much money they still need to raise to pay off the debt on the Athlete's Village project.

all I could find online was a story in the Summer of 2021 claiming that there was still $40-Million needed. that's about 24% of the total cost of the project.

I wonder if people hear about all of the TV money the B1G is getting, and think "I don't need to donate to the U - they've got all the money they need."

whatever the deal is, Coyle needs to find a way to shake the money tree. If they can't fund-raise for the Athlete's Village project, they have no hope of tackling a major remodel/renovation of Williams Arena.

as far as I know, nobody outside of Coyle's office actually knows how much money they still need to raise to pay off the debt on the Athlete's Village project.

all I could find online was a story in the Summer of 2021 claiming that there was still $40-Million needed. that's about 24% of the total cost of the project.

I wonder if people hear about all of the TV money the B1G is getting, and think "I don't need to donate to the U - they've got all the money they need."

whatever the deal is, Coyle needs to find a way to shake the money tree. If they can't fund-raise for the Athlete's Village project, they have no hope of tackling a major remodel/renovation of Williams Arena.
Well, speaking as an alumni, the Athletic Village is a boondoggle because it manifested itself ten years too late.

The performance of UMN Sports teams, on the whole, has been subpar at best. Men's and Women's basketball are woefully inept.

Any money given for bricks is wasted money because the next "improvement" will be 1) stuck in administrative delay and decay processes and 2) it will barely keep teams at the current level of performance which is subpar and embarrassing.

Alumni who give money expect results that are improvements not status quo maintenance.

Last edited:

That is a factor with all the bragging about the extra 100 million per year and the new landscape is not as attractive to many fans. Plus many young people have found a different way to watch sports, gambling other entertainment options etc.. Nearly everyone I sat with is gone. They have decided against supporting D1 athletics. And yet winning brings people back. Several schools are still selling out their games.

Just seeing this. If I won the Mega Millions last week, I would've donated $25M+ to the U with stipulations it can only be for the Men's basketball program, but my true name would be anonymous, and that the money would be from Wet_Blanket_Guy
Fact: If your wet blanket is made of wool it will still offer insulation.

Top Bottom