Gophers offer Vanderbilt-transfer DT Lorenza Surgers

Obviously smart.. vandy... Played against the best in the sec.... Yup... All day long

The thread title says he is a DT but the video highlights clearly indicate he is a DE.

Guessing they are pretty confident Otomewo is leaving. I assume Rush will return for another year.

Looks like he didn't play much til this past season. 17 tackles and 1 sack. Maybe a depth guy?

Looks like he didn't play much til this past season. 17 tackles and 1 sack. Maybe a depth guy?
Yeah seems a bit underwhelming. But, with two years of eligibility maybe Witt sees some untapped potential. Certainly has the prototypical size.

If we want to win the West next year, I'd rather try to find a more sure-fire starter both at DE and DT.

Sergers looks alright but more of a rotational guy. We already have plenty of those at DE with Joyner, Logan-Redding, Keys, Striggow, Booker plus the 3 freshman Smith, Bixby and Schwartz. I'd personally like to aim a little higher.

If we want to win the West next year, I'd rather try to find a more sure-fire starter both at DE and DT.

Sergers looks alright but more of a rotational guy. We already have plenty of those at DE with Joyner, Logan-Redding, Keys, Striggow, Booker plus the 3 freshman Smith, Bixby and Schwartz. I'd personally like to aim a little higher.
Yeah but maybe the staff thinks the young guys are ready for the jump. I think who they persue through the portal gives pretty good clues as to how they feel about the current roster.

Agreed he looks like a defensive end not a DT.
6’5” 265. That is a DE. we are possibly losing both DEs to the NFL. We have tons of young talent, real talent, at DE for 2022. But we could use some more seasoned experience at DE in 2022 while the new talent gets settled in. Happy to see Surgers come here, if he does. Good situational fit.

Those are pretty good numbers for a rotational DE.

Keep in mind, we are all a bit down on losing MJ Anderson who put up 7 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 PD last season. He looks to be about the same size and I believe the same age as Anderson.

If the staff ever wants to add veteran DL, I'm on board. We play a lot of guys and if they younger guys pass him on the depth chart (like with Val Martin last year), then he's depth.

Late bloomer?
Maybe. I hope he does well. I'm not criticizing him as a choice for someone from the portal. He seems like he'd at minimum be a solid rotational guy.

Fleck and staff have earned a lot of benefit of the doubt when it comes to transfers since most of the ones they have brought in have worked out really well. If they think this guy is worth a spot I am all for it.

Can’t have too much depth at DLine.

He looks fast enough for an end and he plays too high for a tackle. Maybe too high for and end. In his clip I didn’t see any tackle below the waist, which should be correctable. He has nice length and should contribute.

Yeah seems a bit underwhelming. But, with two years of eligibility maybe Witt sees some untapped potential. Certainly has the prototypical size.
Isn't 280-320 more the prototypical size of a DT? 260 seems light to me unless they want him at DE.

Isn't 280-320 more the prototypical size of a DT? 260 seems light to me unless they want him at DE.
I was thinking DE. I assume they would use him at DE since that’s what he played before. Think the original post mislabeled him.

How do we know none of the above (including 2 highly rated Fresh) aren’t ready to assume those roles? As the recruiting gets better, we will have more Fr, seeing the girls and even done starting from day 1 and others already in the program improve and can take the next step.
I trust Rossi/Fleck’s plan at this point

My guess is they are looking for sure-fire starters, but have to take what they can find and get.

Top Bottom