Gophers offer Steve McNair Jr.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Scout.com says that we offered Steve McNair Jr. (yes, the the son of the late Steve McNair) and his HS teammate Robert Johnson. Here is an article about McNair from this past spring with comments from the younger McNair about his father while he was still living:

Today's recruiting era is a first come/first serve basis as you see prospect after prospect receive early offers with commitments coming in sooner and sooner as each year goes by. But do not tell the son of Steve McNair that this is the best method to follow.

"I am still not interested in finding a college because I am still a junior (in high school)," added Steve McNair. "I want to wait until after my senior season has played out, and then I will take some visits and make a decision. And when I make a decision, I will stick to it.."

This seems like a mature approach to take for a 18 year old young man, but McNair obviously has not been raised in your typical household, as Steve gets daily advise from one of the All-Time NFL greats.

"My dad has taught me everything I know, both on and off the field. I use to play QB, but I wanted to move to WR, and he told me to never go against my own will. I moved to WR that year in 9th grade. He told me to play what ever I wanted to play. I ask him for advise on recruiting all of the time, and he lets me make my own decisions, but I certainly listen to what he has to say. I could not get any better advise. He knows the ropes about everything with football. I actually work out with him every offseason, and now that he has quit playing football, I do not know what I am going to do (laugh)."

Steve McNair Jr is serious about not getting caught up in recruiting at the moment.

"I have not even taken any visits yet. I have not been to anyone's campus, and I do not even plan to go to any camps this summer because it takes away from my focus on my senior season. I have a lot to do to get better and to help us win a state championship. When I accomplish those goals, I will start to take some visits."

That has not stopped several colleges from trying to get the Oak Grove product on campus.

"FSU came by our practice last week. I talked to their QB coach, and he said they were close to offering me. They want us (Robert Johnson, Vince Taylor, Jay Hughes) to come over there for their camp. We are thinking about it."

"Alabama also came to one of our practices. They just want to get me up there and see the facilities and meet all of the coaches. I have never been up there before, but I might take a visit over there this summer if I have time. Like I said, I really do not have any time to take any visits this summer, but I might take one to FSU and Alabama. I just do not know yet. If I open up the gate to a couple of schools, then I will have to end up taking a bunch of visits, and I really do not want to do that at this point."

Who else has scouted McNair during his practices?

"Coach Dickerson (Ole Miss) came by. MSU sent their DL coach down here. Coach Fedora (USM) has been to like five of our practices (Fedora has a son that plays for Oak Grove so it is within the rules for him to scout the Warriors more than once). West Virginia sent a coach down here. Auburn and LSU have been down here. Tulsa came down. There have been a bunch of them."

Two of those schools liked what they saw as a scholarship offer was extended.

"Ole Miss and Tulsa offered me this spring. I got my Ole Miss offer in the mail recently. Tulsa offered me in late April, I believe. They offered all of us (Robert Johnson, Vince Taylor, Jay Hughes) ."

Who else has offered?

"West Virginia, Kentucky, Mississippi State, and Southern Miss."

What does he know about each school?

Ole Miss - "I really do not know much about Ole Miss because I have never been up there before, but Coach Dickerson said they need a WR like me to come help their program. I am looking forward to visiting them but I am staying open minded."

MSU - "I talked to Jay's dad (Tony Hughes is Jay Hughes' father) in Hattiesburg yesterday. Coach Hughes talked to all of us (Robert Johnson, Vince Taylor, Jay Hughes), actually. He talked about getting us to one of their camps coming up. He wants us to come up on a visit. I really do not know much about them either because I have never been up there, but they are getting in Florida's offense, and the Gators have always been my favorite team growing up. I love their offense."

USM - "I just like Coach Fedora. He is always cracking up and joking and stuff. He keeps it fun. Like I said, he was at most of our practices, and he never even brought up USM one time to me. He doesn't pressure you or anything. He keeps it real light."

West Virginia - "My head coach is from West Virginia, and he tells us what it is like up there. He says there is not anything going on so everybody goes to their games. They get a lot of support up there."

When it does come decision time; what will be the main factors?

"Most people think they want to go to a big time college, and then they are happy. I do not want to go to some big time school for the prestige. I just want to go where I am needed, not even neccessarily where I like it the most. Say, I like USM the most, but West Virginia needs me the most, then I am going to West Virginia. I am going to look at their depth chart and see how many WR's they are losing and who all they have coming in. That is what I am looking at the hardest."

The 6' 0", 190 pound receiver caught 58 passes for 962 yards as a junior. This offseason, he has been working on a few things.

"I am really trying to work on my speed (reports a 4.5 flat forty) and being more physical (reports a 280 bench press and 450 squat). I have the ability to get off the press and run my routes without getting jammed, but I still want to get my physical."

This springhe has been catching passes from another NFL legend.

"Yea, Brett Favre has been throwing to us this spring (laugh). You have all of the media out here wanting to know what is going on, but we do not worry about that stuff. We are use to it. He has been here the last two springs I have been here throwing passes to us. It is good for us. He helps us focus on the ball more because he throws it harder than a high school QB. That helps us out a lot."

The million dollar question is how is Brett's arm?

"It is as strong as ever. He is making all of the passes. Brett is just Brett. He just loves football and loves to help us out. He explains the routes we need to be running and points out where we need to get better. He has helped all of us out more than you know."

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/866875.html

Go Gophers!!

Brewster recruited Vince Young to Texas and Young had a strong relationship with Steve McNair and has apparently stayed close to the McNair family after his passing (Vince went to a father/son function with a couple of Steve's boys recently).

Maybe their is an inside track to recruiting McNair Jr.

Top Bottom