Gophers offer Frank Williams; making official visit 9/19

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Scout.com:

"Raytown (Mo.) High standout Frank Williams has started setting up in home and official visits. The sharp shooting Williams will kick things off by hosting Detroit for an in home visit on September 10th before heading to Minnesota for an official visit the weekend of September 19th. The Gophers, recently offered a scholarship. The 6-foot-5 wing stood out during the summer while competing with Matt Suther's Spiece Mo-Kan Elite squad and participating in both the Paul Pierce and LeBron James Skills Academies."

Scout rates him as a 4-star and the #24 SG in the nation. Oral Roberts, Wichita State and Santa Clara have all offered as well.

Go Gophers!!

Having a guy with that kind of height who can shoot the three is something the gophers are missing right now.

I'd accept his commitment on the spot and wish Jacob Thomas the best. I hope he gets out of Columbia Heights at some point. Maybe a guy like Williams as a higher ceiling than most because of his room for physical development, and has a shot at being a better 2 than many of the 23 ranked ahead of him.

If we land Williams and as expected go after a PG and post, that puts a big burden on Rodney Williams. He's going to be the wing and he's got a lot of work to do on his game based on what I saw last year. He seemed to really plateau and lose a lot of momentum as a prospect after his junior year. He's a "Michael Floyd" like athlete, so it's possible that he regains his mojo and becomes the stud I thought he'd be at the NCAA level when he was a sophomore and junior in HS.

This Frank Williams??

04_24_illinois_lg.jpg

I'd take him.

Seems like a weak offer list for a 4 star player...

Seems like a weak offer list for a 4 star player...

Yeah. The other day I saw a 4 Star RB from Georgia and his only offers were like Arkansas State and a few other Sun Belt schools. His last game he had rushed for 180 yards and 2 scores against one of the powerhouse programs in Atlanta. I wondered why the bigger schools weren't after him. I did a little digging and found out the player in question had some academic issues and attitude problems.

Not saying this is the case but it is weird why a player scouted like that doesn't have better offers.

Yeah. The other day I saw a 4 Star RB from Georgia and his only offers were like Arkansas State and a few other Sun Belt schools. His last game he had rushed for 180 yards and 2 scores against one of the powerhouse programs in Atlanta. I wondered why the bigger schools weren't after him. I did a little digging and found out the player in question had some academic issues and attitude problems.

Not saying this is the case but it is weird why a player scouted like that doesn't have better offers.

It might be unfair, but that is what my mind jumps to when I see a recruit rated much higher than his offer list. If it's attitude, hopefully this just means we can get a steal and Tubby thinks he can whip him into shape. If it's academics, hopefully it means Tubby and co. have a read that he should end up being okay. Still I worry, a recruit being ineligible is a dagger, especially in basketball.

Seems kind of odd that we offered if it was an academic issue because we haven't offered Thomas yet because of perceived academic issues.

Rivals shows that he got offered by Boston College.

Seems kind of odd that we offered if it was an academic issue because we haven't offered Thomas yet because of perceived academic issues.

Rivals shows that he got offered by Boston College.

Good point, I like the way you think!

Like I said, it's unfair of me to do so, but I can't help myself thinking there could be trouble when I see a rating-offer list disparity. Obviously that isn't the case all the time.

Found some interesting info after searching for him online - here is a link to some information found on a K-State board. He wes interested in them, but seems the interest was not returned, but did not state why. It gives a picture and an evaluation from the labron james academy.

http://www.everymanawildcat.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=603

I also saw on one site that Boston College and Arkansas have given him offers.

I'd accept his commitment on the spot and wish Jacob Thomas the best. I hope he gets out of Columbia Heights at some point. Maybe a guy like Williams as a higher ceiling than most because of his room for physical development, and has a shot at being a better 2 than many of the 23 ranked ahead of him.

If we land Williams and as expected go after a PG and post, that puts a big burden on Rodney Williams. He's going to be the wing and he's got a lot of work to do on his game based on what I saw last year. He seemed to really plateau and lose a lot of momentum as a prospect after his junior year. He's a "Michael Floyd" like athlete, so it's possible that he regains his mojo and becomes the stud I thought he'd be at the NCAA level when he was a sophomore and junior in HS.

What's the newest on Thomas? He's a kid that's always dreamed of playing for the Gophers and would sign with Tubby in a heartbeat. He's under sized, but he can shoot. I think Tubby is holding out on Thomas and waiting to see what happens with the rest of the class before he offers him a scholarship.
Thomas will get out of Columbia Heights some point. He'll play Division I basketball somewhere. If not, he can always go to Winona State and be the man ;)

I think Tubby is holding out on Thomas and waiting to see what happens with the rest of the class before he offers him a scholarship.

The Gophers would likely have already offered Thomas had his grades been in order. Thomas looks like a JUCO or prep school candidate.

Without going into too much detail regarding a 17 year olds grades, let's just say Jake has a long, long ways to go to qualify and Minnesota isn't counting on it to happen and hasn't been for awhile. The best option for Jacob would be a juco that isn't a basketball factory and actually helps kids academically, maybe redshirt a year, and then join Minnesota as a sophomore in three years.

Frank Williams is a Jirsa recruit who he really likes.

Wouldn't be suprised to see McCallum on campus in September although nothing is set up officially yet.

It would be great to get McCallum on campus, especially on a TCF weekend. . .

Top Bottom