Gophers Offer D-Lineman NDSU Javier Derritt

Would be a nice replacement for Baugh

There's Big 10 players @ the FCS level. The quality of recruits keeps getting better. Remember, A rising tide lifts all boats. Is it time for FBS to increase scholarships by 25? FCS by 20?

Depth players are leaving their teams in search of playing time, now. I don't think lack of scholarships is an issue.

There's Big 10 players @ the FCS level. The quality of recruits keeps getting better. Remember, A rising tide lifts all boats. Is it time for FBS to increase scholarships by 25? FCS by 20?
No. Only when the helmets couldn't stockpile 125 players on scholly did schools like MN begin to get decent players that could occasionally compete for a conference crown.

Cut scholarships down to 70.

Reduce costs, spread the talent. You would likely reduce transfers as well, as kids would be more reluctant to give up a scholarship with fewer available.

No. Only when the helmets couldn't stockpile 125 players on scholly did schools like MN begin to get decent players that could occasionally compete for a conference crown.

Yep. It's also how the FCS schools got better. They signed kids who either couldn't get into major schools because of bad grades and testing, and kids who were on the fringe of getting in but just didn't make it.

This is my guess too.

Rats, you're probably right, then.

Would bet anything that Entz is who told them about Abasiri and is why they suddenly offered him.

Yep. It's also how the FCS schools got better. They signed kids who either couldn't get into major schools because of bad grades and testing, and kids who were on the fringe of getting in but just didn't make it.
I don't think minimum grade requirements are different between FCS and FBS? They're both Division I, just technically "subdivisions" of it.

But let's be quite honest: they are minimal requirements.

Cut scholarships down to 70.

Reduce costs, spread the talent. You would likely reduce transfers as well, as kids would be more reluctant to give up a scholarship with fewer available.
You're on to something. As long as scholarships continue to matter, then your proposal is the best solution. 70 might be too few. 75 might be better for roster management, but reducing scholarships should happen.

Think about it, at 75 scholarships, that's probably at least 100 4 & 5 star players every year that are redistributed from the top 15 teams to everyone else. That's a lot of talent.

Those 100 guys, very largely, are only transferring if they're not playing. So they're going to be transferring now, in the new system, anyway. So they are getting spread around.

You're on to something. As long as scholarships continue to matter, then your proposal is the best solution. 70 might be too few. 75 might be better for roster management, but reducing scholarships should happen.

Think about it, at 75 scholarships, that's probably at least 100 4 & 5 star players every year that are redistributed from the top 15 teams to everyone else. That's a lot of talent.
Don't just cut scholarships, cut roster size. Otherwise rich teams will just use NIL as a scholarship. Make it 75 players max or something like that.

Don't just cut scholarships, cut roster size. Otherwise rich teams will just use NIL as a scholarship. Make it 75 players max or something like that.
That's not really a concern. The entire roster of teams can't make a lot of NIL money. There's not enough to go around, especially because most players won't make the NFL.

Plus, it's still good to have walk-ons.

This guy wasn't all conference in the MVFC. Would this be a depth add or project?

Bad grades has absolutely nothing to do with it. Most FCS have as stringent requirements grade wise, as any Power 5 school. It’s more not having the size or quickness to compete.

That's not really a concern. The entire roster of teams can't make a lot of NIL money. There's not enough to go around, especially because most players won't make the NFL.

Plus, it's still good to have walk-ons.
If you have walk-ons then there are no scholarship limits for the rich teams. Gives them an even bigger advantage. The "walk-ons" can go play FCS, D2 or D3.

Nebraska has offered as well.

Exactly.

I don’t think we want less kids with the opportunity for a college education, especially when the majority of them are from minority households.

Nebraska has offered as well.
He likely follows his coach, but these other offers definitely make you wonder if he’s considering another route. Glad to see us throwing our name in the hat.

He's an experienced defensive tackle who gets sacks. Rare, Unicorn rare. A middle-inside pass rush turns a good-great quarterback into average, below average making his on field teammates better. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Scholarship numbers really don't matter. Teams with money can pay for additional scholarships with NIL money

Scholarship numbers really don't matter. Teams with money can pay for additional scholarships with NIL money
Without enforceable rules, that could happen. A reduction in roster numbers could help balance teams.

Exactly.

I don’t think we want less kids with the opportunity for a college education, especially when the majority of them are from minority households.
They'd get redistributed to other sports.

You know they've cut the limits multiple times before, right? The coaches made the same, fear based arguments before each cut. The world didn't end after any cut.

It was even recommended by an NCAA panel to cut football scholarships within the last dozen years.

They'd get redistributed to other sports.
I don’t see how that functions and how that addresses the reduction the minority student athletes being affected, which was the crux of my argument, as they are the majority of scholarship football players.
You know they've cut the limits multiple times before, right?
Yes, I’m aware.
The coaches made the same, fear based arguments before each cut. The world didn't end after any cut.
Never said it would- that obviously wasn’t my argument kiddo; hyperbole doesn’t enhance your point or diminish mine.

If you’ve ever personally met someone who achieved a college education due to their athletic ability and wouldn’t have been able to otherwise, than maybe you’d have a different perspective. This is more of a qualitative change (from small things momma, big things someday come).

Just because something doesn’t change the world, doesn’t invalidate its worth nor provide rational for eliminating it.

There are certainly ways to modify the transfer portal and/or NIL without draconian measures (my perspective).
It was even recommended by an NCAA panel to cut football scholarships within the last dozen years.
So the entity that cause the problem, is supposed to provide the solution - tests a hard pass for me.

Top Bottom