Gophers new black uniforms expected to debut week one against New Mexico State. 🔥🔥🔥 (video)

Why for a night game? Might be sharper during the afternoon.
Suggest that next year we'll open with black unis and gold trim and the gold beadhead lids.

Hey kid, get off my lawn!

We don't know what game it will be for yet. The communications director already replied to this tweet yesterday and said they will wear a more traditional look for the opener.

I like the constant uniform changes. I know some people don't. They want to stick with the same maroon helmet, a maroon or white jersey, and gold pants; because tradition, they say. When is the last time Minnesota won anything big with that combo, I say? Change is good. Constant change is better.

old guy time.

with all of the constant changing/rotating of uniforms, I do think that teams lose a little bit of their traditional identity.

in the "old days," team's uniform designs were part of the team's identity. You could turn on a game on TV without knowing who was playing, and the second you saw the teams on the field, you knew who they were because of the uniform design.

Alabama looked like Alabama. Penn State looked like Penn State. USC looked like USC and so forth.

now, there are times I turn on a game and have no idea who is playing, because the uniforms change from week to week.

final thought - I don't care if the Gophers wear gunny sacks. Beat Iowa. that's what matters.

Our colors are maroon and gold..
I wouldn’t venture away from a Gold helmet ever.

If we win big and look great doing it then I'll love them!

Our colors are maroon and gold..
I wouldn’t venture away from a Gold helmet ever.
Maroon has been our primary helmet color since the mid 70s.

I really enjoy what Fleck does with the helmet looks.

Why for a night game? Might be sharper during the afternoon.
Suggest that next year we'll open with black unis and gold trim and the gold beadhead lids.

Hey kid, get off my lawn!
It could get pretty hot wearing black for an early season afternoon game.

old guy time.

with all of the constant changing/rotating of uniforms, I do think that teams lose a little bit of their traditional identity.

in the "old days," team's uniform designs were part of the team's identity. You could turn on a game on TV without knowing who was playing, and the second you saw the teams on the field, you knew who they were because of the uniform design.

Alabama looked like Alabama. Penn State looked like Penn State. USC looked like USC and so forth.

now, there are times I turn on a game and have no idea who is playing, because the uniforms change from week to week.

final thought - I don't care if the Gophers wear gunny sacks. Beat Iowa. that's what matters.
If you are my age or older, the following were also true.

1. We watched the game on a 19" TV, or maybe one of those big 24" tubes!
2. The picture was not High Definition
3. If you didn't know better, the New York Giants looked like the Minnesota Vikings and Vice Versa until they did a closeup on someone's helmet because the TV quality, the logo on the side of the helmet was hard to read.
4. They didn't post the score and team colors on the screen all throughout the game.

So yes, at that point, having the same color was important, and even then you could have watched USC for a bit before realizing the Gophers weren't the team you were watching, but now there have been various improvements where other colors are just fine and dandy and we all know who is playing within mere seconds of seeing the game on TV.

and all this time I thought the Gophers were maroon and gold....

Here is a new invention to go along with all those confusing new uniforms that will blow your mind AND immediately alert you to who is playing the next time you turn on a game:9CDBB3F7-A281-4D2D-B066-16CADD61391C.jpeg

Maroon has been our primary helmet color since the mid 70s.

I really enjoy what Fleck does with the helmet looks.
Probably agree with you on the helmet but let’s say we go black helmet it at least needs a gold M on one side and a gold 🦦 on the other..

Already miss Anthracite...

However, to be true to Minnesota need a Taconite uni as a tribute to Da Range...
I like it....

These are not black, they are Taconite uniforms!!!!!!!!! The iron that built this country.....

I like the constant uniform changes. I know some people don't. They want to stick with the same maroon helmet, a maroon or white jersey, and gold pants; because tradition, they say. When is the last time Minnesota won anything big with that combo, I say? Change is good. Constant change is better.
I associated the M jersey, M helmet and gold pants with Gopher Football from the later Cal Stoll Era through Kill with the brief Wacker return to the early 70s metallic gold look. I became used to that look even thought shade of maroon probably changed every few years, so when PJF brought in the Washington Redskins look I did not like it.

I did not care for the white numbers on the PJF era uniforms, but no longer care at all. In fact, the return of the metallic gold helmets was so great at Madison in 2018 that I'd like to see them most of the time. The frequent changes are fine with me. now, since we are not the target audience.

Winning is all that matters at this point. I will continue to hate the Mississippi State knockoffs worn at Iowa in 2019.

Even Michigan screwed with 50 years of tradition when Harbaugh for some reason went back to those ugly all white road uniforms from the very bad 60s where Michigan was not so great. Michigan had some great road uniforms with the maize pants, and always great home uniforms.

I’d like to see something like a Midnight Maroon that looks almost black, but shimmers maroon. Paired with a matching matte lid and dark gold highlights. I think it would look great and be truer to our colors.
I saw something like this in a fastpitch uni this summer and they were the coolest ever.

Top Bottom