Gophers Neutered play calling and Michigan owns Minnesota. Reasons for optimism?

Likely a Redshirt Freshman making his 2nd career start at Michigan. Doesn't sound to promising to begin with.

Michigan defensively stops the run which is the only thing the Gophers do well offensivley so far against much lesser competition.

Gophers chance to keep it close with a shot to win in the 4th quarter is that Michigan keeps up being turnover prone as they have been through their first 4 games.

Big thing is for Limegrover to not try and force an offense that's pass heavy like he did to open conference play last year.

One of my character flaws involves checking our opponent's message boards the night of a loss for sweet schadenfreude.

The Michigan fans, at least the ones that bother to post, are folding up their chairs. Looking through the posts "worst team in 50 years", " I can't take it, I'm done" are common refrains.

They are spoiled children. While unlikely to go through 50 years of mediocrity and lose fan and donor support it is a delicious time for me. One of my old friends is THE epitome of the annoying michigan grad/fan.

Thanks. That made me laugh. I've have heard that confession is good for the soul. I don't know if your confession was good for you but it certainly was good for me.

Yes it is true. We can't keep saying Michigan is bad or worst than they usually are because it is sill in fact "Michigan". But it is hard to ignore a lot of the mistakes and poor play Michigan has had so far this season. In the turnover department they are awful and can't seem to find a QB just like us. They have problems that the Gophers could take advantage of if they are ready to go and can hopefully successfully open up their playbook. What really gets me is that Michigan didn't score 1 point at Notre Dame in which they usually always make that game competitive while a brutal Purdue team who had got killed to Central Michigan put up 14 against them at Notre Dame and only giving up 30. I start to think that this Michigan is not in fact "Michigan" from recent years and may be down but then again they are still Michigan and they will be ready to play.

The reason Gardner has torched the Gophers is because he has been able to shake the pass rush, keep running down the line of scrimmage and then find the open man that someone abandoneed to come up and try to stop Gardner and then he finds the open man heaves a bad throw and it still get's there.
There have been times also where Gardners has had so much time behind his O-line that he could have made up a pizza, put it in an oven and then cooked the damn thing, eat a slice have a second to enjoy the taste, and then he was still able to throw a pass and complete it.
Gophers have a good secondary and can cover for a long time but you cannot ask your secondary guys to cover that long on an island. If they are going to have any hope the defensive front not only has to get pressure, they have to surround the guy not let him escape and bat down his passes if need be. This game is going to be a huge challenge for the Gophers front 7, Gardner has always excelled against our group, it will be up to the front seven of the defense if the Gophers and the O-line to control the line of scrimmage against Michigcan for them to have a chance to win the game. Historically the Gophers have just not been able to do that. That is the big challenge of this game, can the Gopher O-line and Defensive line hang with Michigan and play with their level of physicality, so far it remains to be seen.

Our pass rush has to get there right after he takes the first bite! We cannot give him time to savor!

Get a member from the 1977 team to speak to the team on Wednesday. Explain they shutout a number 1 rated Wolverine team. The Marion Barber would be a great choice. Thursday, a member of the 1987 team. Chip Lomiller is coaching as is Rickie Foggie. I would reach out to Pete Najarian. And Friday before they leave for Michigan a speech by Coach Sherrels. Both the 1977 and 1985 team selection could call on the speeches given by the immortal Butch Nash.

Anyone know what kind of player Morris is? Is he more of a pocket passer? It sounds like Hoke is making the starting QB decision Tuesday.

1. We have a very good secondary.
2. The defense is playing well.
3. Streveler has excellent quickness, 10 yard speed.
4. The offensive line is settled.
5. We need to focus on who we are, not what someone thinks we should be
6. We run better from a spread on tightend flex. Than from the Bunch formation.
7. We must show the ability to move the ball, get first downs from the first series to the last.
8. This would be the game to unleash counters to the speed option.
9. Score first and silence the crowd. Score again and make them turn on Brady. Get some cat calls going.
10. Bring Back the Jug and Set Brady's coaching seat on fire.

:clap:

Anyone know what kind of player Morris is? Is he more of a pocket passer? It sounds like Hoke is making the starting QB decision Tuesday.

I went to the BWW Bowl in Tempe last year when Michigan played Kansas State. Morris played that game; big kid, left-handed (I think?), not very mobile. He put up halfway decent statistical numbers against KSU by keeping it simple and dinking and dunking short throws. KSU ended up rolling over scUM, 31-14

I wasn't overly impressed but he may have come a ways since then. It'll be interesting to see if he starts. Offhand, I would almost doubt it STRICTLY because Hoke probably knows Gardner has lit up the Gophers a few times. Hard to say.

He reminded me a lot of our own Mitch Leidner. Except he's left-handed. He's a lightning rod just like Mitch. Some fans think he has potential, the more impatient fans think he sucks and want the third stringer.

The last time I thought the Gophers had a chance to beat Michigan, we got beat soundly.

2007 Minnesota 10 Michigan 34 Ann Arbor, MI
2008 Minnesota 6 Michigan 29 Minneapolis, MN
2011 Minnesota 0 Michigan 58 Ann Arbor, MI
2012 Minnesota 13 Michigan 35 Minneapolis, MN
2013 Minnesota 13 Michigan 42 Ann Arbor, MI

Average margin of Victory for Michigan = 31 points
There are a lot of the same players on the field as last year. Not sure why we would think we'd win.

Should be entertaining to watch for the trainwreck factor.

Top Bottom