Gophers need a chant

If Ski U Mah is to work, it needs to be done every game, several times a game. You need to pound it into the fans here.

Using the scoreboard can help, but only if the scoreboard is in sync. With spelling out MINNESOTA in the rouser, the scorboard always seemed to be out of sync, although it seemed to get better. Ski-U-Mah is simple and traditional. But you have to get everyone on the same page. Maybe a mailing to all the season ticket holders. Work with the student organizations. Figure out when you're going to use it, and let everyone know. And keep with it. It is much easier to keep a tradition going than to create a new one.

Using the scoreboard can help, but only if the scoreboard is in sync. With spelling out MINNESOTA in the rouser, the scorboard always seemed to be out of sync, although it seemed to get better. Ski-U-Mah is simple and traditional. But you have to get everyone on the same page. Maybe a mailing to all the season ticket holders. Work with the student organizations. Figure out when you're going to use it, and let everyone know. And keep with it. It is much easier to keep a tradition going than to create a new one.

My guess as to the reason the scoreboard is out of sync on the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A spell out is because the letters are pre-programmed to be synced to the band and the pace the Rouser is played at, not the pace the cheerleaders, student section and rest of the fans want to say it at that particular time. Same thing happens to the first down thing the band does, the cheerleaders and student section go at a much faster pace than the band does so they finish the cheer before the band is done. The first down thing has gotten better recently, but the Rouser I don't think ever will as emotions play in to the pace it is said. After a TD, especially after a big play TD, or a goal at a hockey game, the students are all amped up and do the spell out super fast.

QUOTE=mntwinsfreak89;552477]WHO HATES IOWA?![/QUOTE]

We Hate Iowa!

Ski-U-Mah! With it on the helmets now perhaps it will help. As far as cheers winning games...not on game day, but it does add to the atmosphere which helps with recruits!!

Nebraska fans were drawing out the "go big red" in lots and before the game and it was cool. One fan would shout Gooooooooooo Biiiiiiiiiig Reeeeeeeeeeeeddddd, and every fan within hearing distance would in unison answer, "go big red" in a short loud cadence.

I would love to see/hear that with the Gophs!!!! SSKKKIIIIIIIIIII-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-MMAAAAAAAAAAHHH......SKI U MAH!!!!

Hot cross buns
Hot cross buns
One a penny, two a penny
Hot cross buns

We just need to get rid of the PA guy. The Ski U Mah chant will work, but NOT when led from the booth. This is college football, let the students, cheerleaders, and band lead the cheers. In fact, if he could just generally stop talking that would be fantastic. Just who were the players involved on the plays, and the down and distance. Please. I'm really begging you.

We just need to get rid of the PA guy. The Ski U Mah chant will work, but NOT when led from the booth. This is college football, let the students, cheerleaders, and band lead the cheers. In fact, if he could just generally stop talking that would be fantastic. Just who were the players involved on the plays, and the down and distance. Please. I'm really begging you.

True enough. No PA, big ass flags (I mean so big you can't miss them), have the band yell their part really loudly to get attention, and most importantly persistence. Do the cheer at every game, several times a game. I guarantee that by the end of the season it will have caught on. Let's say the organization for the cheer was home sideline "Ski", Students "U", away sideline "Mah" the hardest part will be getting the old people to start it on the home side.

True enough. No PA, big ass flags (I mean so big you can't miss them), have the band yell their part really loudly to get attention, and most importantly persistence. Do the cheer at every game, several times a game. I guarantee that by the end of the season it will have caught on. Let's say the organization for the cheer was home sideline "Ski", Students "U", away sideline "Mah" the hardest part will be getting the old people to start it on the home side.

If I remember correctly, this was done with big flags, but it was only done before the game started. The times I remember them doing it I had just entered the stadium and the place was maybe 25% full. I don't ever remember them trying it during a game and I was always disappointed in that.

If I remember correctly, this was done with big flags, but it was only done before the game started. The times I remember them doing it I had just entered the stadium and the place was maybe 25% full. I don't ever remember them trying it during a game and I was always disappointed in that.

Before the game, people are unfocused, they are getting to their seats, or if they are in their seats, they are standing up to let others through. Once the game starts, their attention is more focuses. Probably most people in the stadium had no idea what was going on.

I need to see if I can find a Ski-U-Mah bumper sticker.

The problem is that the PA guy needs the dead period of time during a game when the SKI U MAH chant would work to barrel through his million ads that he needed to read. That is the #1 problem with our game atmosphere. Need way less PA guy and ads. Hopefully that was a Maturi call and Norwood can tone it down and use the booze revenue as a sub. Absolutely have to make the game atmosphere better.

Except for the ANNOYING cheer leader dude with the loudspeaker who talked the whole game, the only negative to the USC game-day atmosphere when we played them last year.

Oh yeah the " Beat the Goahphers, Beat the Goahpher!" *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. He was very, very, very annoying. Other than that, a great experience.

Grass-roots efforts too. Every time you see someone in Gopher gear, just say Ski-U-Mah to them.

That's what I do now when I encounter someone in Gopher gear off the beaten path. In the past, my standard greeting was "Go, Gophers," but I switched to "Ski-U-Mah" about three years ago and have found that I receive a much more enthusiastic response, at least from the 90% of people who seem to understand the reference.

Well maybe us gopherholers could start the movement. Maybe we can set a time each home game (ie; opening kick off, end of 1st quarter, beginning of 3rd quarter, etc.) for all of us to just start up the chant. Heck, we can even bring it to Vegas since I know a lot of us are going and it will be a festive atmosphere so the non-gopherholers there can catch on. Then we can bring it back for the three home games in a row we have. Maybe it can catch on from there. All it takes is a few to get it started and maybe the whole stadium can catch on. Kinda like the wave, even though the wave is extremely lame. It can't hurt to try this. If we want something done right, we got to do it ourselves.

And we could also tell all of the people around us that there is going to be a Ski-U-Mah chant at a certain time, so they can get involved right away too

First off, I think the Ski-U-Mah chant would be awesome! I think a great place to start would be UNLV.

My biggest fear is the Marketing Department will attempt to copy it and turn it into something stupid and cheap.

Baa Ram U ... on second thought I think that is the Iowa mating call

HEY HEY WE'RE THE GOPHERS

PEOPLE SAY WE GOPHER TOUCHDOWNS
:)

The SKI-U-Mah when tried before was only during times when nobody was into the game. (before the game, during halftime.) This needs to be done after the rouser. Shouldnt be that hard. And dont have the announcer lead it. Just sounds cheesy.

And never get rid of the RAH at the end of the rouser. That is my favorite part.

The SKI-U-Mah when tried before was only during times when nobody was into the game. (before the game, during halftime.) This needs to be done after the rouser. Shouldnt be that hard. And dont have the announcer lead it. Just sounds cheesy.

And never get rid of the RAH at the end of the rouser. That is my favorite part.

Maybe we can start it after the rouser after we score a touchdown or get a turnover or a big stop on defense

PEOPLE SAY WE GOPHER TOUCHDOWNS
:)

Now we're talk'in!

HERE WE COME
DRIVING DOWN THE FIELD
GETT'IN THE WEARIEST LOOKS FROM
ALL THE TEAMS THAT YIELD

AND LATER WE'LL ALL GOPHER A ROUND
BUT RIGHT NOW WE'RE TOO BUSY
MARCHING TOWARD ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN

with apologies to Micky, Peter, David and Michael

I think part of the reason the chant hasn't worked as of late is because we suck. I mean who wants to get into a Ski-U-Mah chant when we are losing to the f'ing University of South Dakota? Winning will generate more fans, more enthusiasm, and eventually more successful chants (with some help). With that said, even though it no longer applies, my favorite chant is still "Iowa football sucks, Glen Mason swallows."

Now we're talk'in!

HERE WE COME
DRIVING DOWN THE FIELD
GETT'IN THE WEARIEST LOOKS FROM
ALL THE TEAMS THAT YIELD

AND LATER WE'LL ALL GOPHER A ROUND
BUT RIGHT NOW WE'RE TOO BUSY
MARCHING TOWARD ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN

with apologies to Micky, Peter, David and Michael

Good addition.

Catchy isn't it.:)

And we could also tell all of the people around us that there is going to be a Ski-U-Mah chant at a certain time, so they can get involved right away too

I had in mind when I started this thread that a chant would be something that would take 2 or 3 seconds from start to finish. Some of you remember being in the dome when there were more Iowa fans than Gopher fans and the Iowa fans would start with "let's go Hawks". Sadly they would rock the dome and I am sure it helped Iowa win some games in the Dome.

I would suggest starting a :Ski-U-Mah' chant when the opponent first gets the ball. If we kick off to them then start when they huddle up. If we get the ball first then, after we punt/score a touchdown, when they start to huddle up.

Gopherholers could start and perhaps the AD could sent out an email or even pass out leaflets at the game or tailgate area with the plan and asking people to join in. There would be nothing better than TCF rocking to "Ski-U-Mah" when the opponent has the ball!!

Top Bottom