Gophers @ MTSU on ESPNU

Does anyone else think that playing that night on ESPNU is pretty bunk? ESPNU? Seriously??

Does anyone else think that playing that night on ESPNU is pretty bunk? ESPNU? Seriously??

+1 WEAK. The Gophers+Dwight Dasher=interesting matchup, particularly given Minnesota's painful history against mobile QBs. This game features a lot of speed on both sides of the ball at the skill positions. Hopefully, it also features maroon and gold colored Big Ten style domination on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

This is the game I'm looking to in order to estimate how 2010 is going to play out. If Minnesota wins and looks good doing it they will achieve 8-9 wins and a Bowl Game win. If they look bad and/or lose...could be rough. I am optimistic.

Go Gophers!

Better than nothing - but it will be a tough game. Gophers better be ready to play...

what gives the them reason to schedule a better t.v. spot for the gophs? They have a lot to prove this season.

It's better than being shown only locally on the BTN because there are three other Big Ten games scheduled at the same time.

"I think it's so exciting for our players to open up against a championship football team on Thursday night against Middle Tennessee State on the road," Brewster said. "I'll tell you this: that first game down there at Middle Tennessee State is going to be a heck of a football game. I've looked at them very closely already, and they've got a lot of very talented football players."

Better than nothing - but it will be a tough game. Gophers better be ready to play...

You are exactly right. This game is NOT going to be easy. MTSU is a proud and successful program with a decent history of playing big names tough. On the road and night will be interesting. I'll bet the line for this game is real, real tight.

GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!

FOR THE LAST TIME PLEASE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's better than being shown only locally on the BTN because there are three other Big Ten games scheduled at the same time.

The MTSU game CANNOT......CANNOT, be on BTN. Per their CONTRACT, they only have rights to B10 HOME games. The game also CANNOT be on CBS College Sports. They have an affiliation with the Mountain West and Conference USA. FSN carries Pac-10 and Big 12 games throughout the course of the season.

Look at the week 1 Schedule. Would you honestly expect ESPN to pick this game up? I sure didn't.

We are LUCKY the game was picked up by ESPNU. LUCKY.

I need to go back to the basketball board where the intelligence factor is WAY higher.

Look at the week 1 Schedule. Would you honestly expect ESPN to pick this game up? I sure didn't.

We are LUCKY the game was picked up by ESPNU. LUCKY.

Why should we look at the Week 1 schedule? The MN-MTSU game is on a Thursday night. There are a grand total of 9 other teams from a BCS conference playing that night. So, yeah, it wasn't that big of a reach to think it might get picked up by ESPN. It will be ESPNU instead. The good thing about it is they have said it will be in HD. That is new this year on ESPNU. It used to be all SD.

The other games that day involving BCS teams aren't exactly dream match-ups, either:

Southern Miss at South Carolina (ESPN, 5:30pm)
USC at Hawaii (ESPN, 9pm)
Marshall at Ohio State (TV TBA)
Pitt at Utah
Florida A&M at Miami (FL)
Norfolk State at Rutgers
Presbyterian at Wake Forest
Northern Illinois at Iowa State

The other games that day:

Eastern Washington at Nevada
Hampton at Central Michigan
Murray State at Kent State
Rhode Island at Buffalo
Southeast Missouri State at Ball State

So, yeah, A LOT of competition there for TV time slots....or not.

I need to go back to the basketball board where the intelligence factor is WAY higher.

I think most people, myself included think that the Gopher game being shown on ESPNU is disappointing because of the fact that I don't get ESPNU, and therefore will have a hard time watching it. I suppose I should have clarified that. However, I don't see why Gopher fans aren't allowed to be disappointed about missing a chance to watch the Gophers' season opener.

Also, your analysis of the Gophers being 'lucky' to have a spot on ESPNU is more than open to debate.

This is a list of some of the other games that are on the same day as the Gopher game. Of these games Southern Miss at South Carolina will be shown on ESPN over Minnesota Middle Tennessee.

Thursday, September 2nd
Minnesota at Middle Tennessee 6:30 p.m. ESPNU (HD)
Southern Miss at South Carolina 6:30 p.m. ESPN (HD)
USC at Hawaii 10:00 p.m. ESPN (HD) (later than the Gopher game, and not direct competition)

In 2009 Southern Miss was hardly a juggernaut.
'the Golden Eagles finshed the season with a record of 7–6, 5–3 in CUSA play and lost to Middle Tennessee, 42–32, in the R+L Carriers New Orelans Bowl.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Southern_Miss_Golden_Eagles_football_team (apologize for the wiki link, the school's own website kept directing me to 2010, maybe on purpose?)

'Gameball goes to... Dwight Dasher. Who else? The junior QB accounted for 366 yards and four touchdowns.
Stat of the game... 250. Middle Tennessee racked up 250 yards rushing, with Dasher collecting 204 himself.
• The Blue Raiders' Dwight Dasher racked up 201 rush yards, 162 pass yards, and 4 TDs.'
http://www.neworleansbowl.org/

Middle Tennessee finished 10-3 (7-1) Sunbelt. They won their last 7 games.

So not only did Middle Tennessee have a far more impressive season than Southern Mississippi, it actually took it to them in a Bowl Game that wasn't as close as the score made it appear. Dwight Dasher was far and away the most exciting player on that field.

Now, let's compare South Carolina to Minnesota in 2009.
SOUTH CAROLINA FOOTBALL Record: 7-6 (3-5) SEC
Date Opponent Result
Sep. 3 at NC State W 7-3
Sep. 12 at Georgia L 37-41
Sep. 19 Florida Atlantic W 38-16
Sep. 24 Ole Miss W 16-10
Oct. 3 South Carolina St. W 38-14
Oct. 10 Kentucky W 28-26
Oct. 17 at Alabama L 6-20
Oct. 24 Vanderbilt W 14-10
Oct. 31 at Tennessee L 13-31
Nov. 7 at Arkansas L 16-33
Nov. 14 Florida L 14-24
Nov. 28 Clemson W 34-17
Jan. 2 at Connecticut L 7-20

In 'contrast' Minnesota won 1 less game and had the same conference record.

I'd point out that South Carolina was even worse in their Bowl game than Minnesota was. And South Carolina is not a successful powerhouse who just happened to have a down year.

I'm not saying that the Gophers have an open and shut case for being on ESPN, but there is a strong argument that the Gophers/Middle Tennessee game deserves the SC/SM spot on ESPN.

I would advise you to think more carefully in the future before you make blanket statements haphazardly denigrating the intelligence of other people, particularly when your own argument is both nasty and without substance.

Pitt at Utah is a slam dunk TV draw over the Gopher/MTSU game. Are you kidding me?? That would mean 3 games that are more TV worthy than the Gopher game. South Carolina in the SEC with Spurrier AT HOME is MILES ahead of a TV draw than Brew & Co ON THE ROAD. Not to mention Southern Miss is a much better TV draw than MTSU. DO YOU NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TV???? YOU EXPECT ESPN TO GO TO MTSU OVER SOUTH CAROLINA???????

Either way you look at it there is no comparison. Sorry, I wish it wasn't so, but it is. Since ESPN usually only televises one game a week on Thursday I would hardly call my argument "without substance" or "nasty" (I don't have the slightest clue in context what nasty even means in this case).

The intelligence statement is hardly based on this thread alone - it just takes me awhile every year to come back to those on the football board after 3 months on the basketball board with less name-calling and ridiculous statements.

No offense to anyone - but any BBall board member would attest to the higher quality of posts on that board than there. Just the way it is.

Holy over reaction. You seem to be the only one arguing and calling people names in this thread. Take a deep breath, we're talking about TV schedules.

What name have I called anyone? Please elaborate.

Instead, you know I am right, but think my tone is too harsh. That is fine, just admit it.

Please stop posting like the basketball board has an inferiority complex to the football board. It isn't a good look.

Josh went a little overboard with the caps and such. Be that as it may, he's exactly right. Since when are the Gophers this powerhouse program that deserves to be on ESPN on a weekly basis? People seriously think they would ever pick a Big Ten road game over an SEC home game? Seriously?

Just be glad it's not being broadcast exclusively on Cable Access 23 in Pelican Rapids.

(P.S.: ESPNU is available on every major cable and satellite provider for a nominal fee. If you're too much of a tightwad to spend a few bucks to add the channel, and cancel it the next day if you want, I don't feel one bit sorry for you. Thanks in advance.)

What name have I called anyone? Please elaborate.

Instead, you know I am right, but think my tone is too harsh. That is fine, just admit it.

Yeah, the 'I know tubby better than you do' threads have been very enlightening.

No offense to anyone - but any BBall board member would attest to the higher quality of posts on that board than there. Just the way it is.

The 50 threads disecting the Tubby going to Augsburg rumors are proof of that.

Hopefully by then Directv will have ESPNUHD. They claim it's coming soon lol

Hopefully by then Directv will have ESPNUHD. They claim it's coming soon lol

Was supposed to be by the end of March. Well, they've got 5 days!

As long as it is going by September 2, I don't care when we get it.

Was supposed to be by the end of March. Well, they've got 5 days!

As long as it is going by September 2, I don't care when we get it.

Oh really? I just remember sometime in 2010, couldn't remember when. But I'm with you, it just needs to be there by September lol

Oh really? I just remember sometime in 2010, couldn't remember when. But I'm with you, it just needs to be there by September lol

They said "end of first quarter". We all know those releases are almost always unusually optimistic, anyway.

They said "end of first quarter". We all know those releases are almost always unusually optimistic, anyway.

I used to do sales/sales training for DISH. Trust me, you have no idea how many times I was left twisting in the breeze after spouting the company line about "X will be available by the end of 3rd quarter". Unusually optimistic doesn't cover the nonsense all the TV providers spew when it comes to promising channel expansion. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom