Gophers men's basketball now sees transfer portal as a friend, not an enemy; Thompson & Thiam will be back

the Mav discussion gets back to this weird notion that - if you are not a star player, then you must be garbage.

there is still room in the world for players who are not great - not stars - but are capable of providing depth.

I went and looked up Mav's college stats. For his career, he averaged roughly 3 points and 1 rebound a game - and less than 1 turnover a game.

as of last year, he was still playing in some pro basketball league in the Phillippines. He even got traded to another team for a player and a 1st-round draft pick.
The problems come when a depth player has to get tossed into a heavy usage situation. Mav was the kind of kid you want on the team, but as a role player. That's not garbage. Often times the player gets blamed for the position the coaching staff or injuries to other players put them into.

the Mav discussion gets back to this weird notion that - if you are not a star player, then you must be garbage.

there is still room in the world for players who are not great - not stars - but are capable of providing depth.

I went and looked up Mav's college stats. For his career, he averaged roughly 3 points and 1 rebound a game - and less than 1 turnover a game.

as of last year, he was still playing in some pro basketball league in the Phillippines. He even got traded to another team for a player and a 1st-round draft pick.
IMO, depth players are more important than ever. There's more turnover on rosters than ever before and you're never going to have a roster full of top recruits. Because not all 13 players will get playing time. So you need a few depth guys. Would rather have someone that's in the program for a few years than getting new "depth" guys every year.

IMO, depth players are more important than ever. There's more turnover on rosters than ever before and you're never going to have a roster full of top recruits. Because not all 13 players will get playing time. So you need a few depth guys. Would rather have someone that's in the program for a few years than getting new "depth" guys every year.
Also takes us to the place that fans dismiss the possibilities of a player growing because they are not immediately productive as a freshman. Fan bases are really impatient and I think it rubs off on players. Easy transfers don’t help with that at all.

Also takes us to the place that fans dismiss the possibilities of a player growing because they are not immediately productive as a freshman. Fan bases are really impatient and I think it rubs off on players. Easy transfers don’t help with that at all.
Yep, we want a place where players will stay even if they don't play much early on in their career.

The problems come when a depth player has to get tossed into a heavy usage situation. Mav was the kind of kid you want on the team, but as a role player. That's not garbage. Often times the player gets blamed for the position the coaching staff or injuries to other players put them into.
Mav as a senior was a decent role player. But investing 4 years to get 1 good year of a reserve is not great. He likely wouldn't have stayed here 4 years in the current environment.

I agree with this. But your depth guys have to be better than Mav. It's kind of funny. One of my friends absolutely DESPISED him. I made the same arguments I'm hearing here to him at the time. It's not Mav's fault he is forced into a bigger role than his talent. I did get frustrated with his turnovers - he was about 1:1 Assists-to-TOs, which is horrible for a PG. And his basketball IQ was low for a PG. He could shoot a little, but he was a really frustrating player to watch play any extended minutes. Happy for him that he found a way to make his talents work for him.

Tis the off season... And no sign of any legit B1G players transferring here .. so we talk about the past.... We're fucked... And yes . The shine is being poured again...

Is basketball like Football in that they have to declare for the portal by May 1st?

This whole transfer portal is a friend thing... Couldn't of been a worse take... Apparently we have no friends ...

Top Bottom