Gophers MBB open practice highlights -- Pharrel Payne looks impressive

I'm so high on Payne, more so than any other current Gopher. Ready for the season to start
Agreed, I think Payne is going to be the surprise of this team. The kid is a great athlete, and as he learns a few things and gets stronger, he's eventually going to be a monster for them. Perhaps not a monster this year, but a guy who can rebound and defend and play effective minutes. He'll be a treat to watch.

I'm so high on Payne, more so than any other current Gopher. Ready for the season to start
the fact that his body physically is ready to be a college player is going to help him a ton!
he clearly isnt soft but i expect for him to take some lumps against veteran bigs but man is he going to be good for us!

BEAUTIFUL PRACTICE FACULTY !!!

To bad games are played in that old barn, that people are afraid to say is really a negative for the program.
If they were selling out and leaving money on the table due to the arena, then I could agree. That clearly isn't the case. Win first, worry about new arena later.

the fact that his body physically is ready to be a college player is going to help him a ton!
he clearly isnt soft but i expect for him to take some lumps against veteran bigs but man is he going to be good for us!
It's not only that his body is ready, it's that he is a high-motor big with a college ready body.

The first time I saw Payne play he was hedging pick and rolls, running all over the place, he looked a tiny bit out of control at times, but he was an absolute terror. He has since refined his game quite a bit (developing an outside shot even).

All of that said, it's not really possible for a high-motor, 6'9" 225 lbs+ player to not bring quite a bit to this team. I think Payne is going to overplay his ranking and if I had my choice of all the players from MN to come to the U, Payne would have been #1 or #2 (Tre because we need a PG). I do not believe DJ Jefferson, Prince Aligbe (who I like more than others) or Heide (who I also like) will be better than Payne.

It's not only that his body is ready, it's that he is a high-motor big with a college ready body.

The first time I saw Payne play he was hedging pick and rolls, running all over the place, he looked a tiny bit out of control at times, but he was an absolute terror. He has since refined his game quite a bit (developing an outside shot even).

All of that said, it's not really possible for a high-motor, 6'9" 225 lbs+ player to not bring quite a bit to this team. I think Payne is going to overplay his ranking and if I had my choice of all the players from MN to come to the U, Payne would have been #1 or #2 (Tre because we need a PG). I do not believe DJ Jefferson, Prince Aligbe (who I like more than others) or Heide (who I also like) will be better than Payne.
He looks athletic, bouncy in that short clip! I am so much more excited for this season than last!!

Wearing number 21 and the way he moves looks like someone familiar in a Minnesota jersey..... okay I'll settle down

Agreed! Update the rankings in 4 years and Payne will be #1 imo. Still

Agreed, I think Payne is going to be the surprise of this team. The kid is a great athlete, and as he learns a few things and gets stronger, he's eventually going to be a monster for them. Perhaps not a monster this year, but a guy who can rebound and defend and play effective minutes. He'll be a treat to watch.
For those that have seen him live, how does he compare to freshman Daniel Ottru

Yeah Payne is a beast. He will contribute right away and help a ton

For those that have seen him live, how does he compare to freshman Daniel Ottru
Payne has better hands and feet, he's stronger, and he's more athletic. He can pass it better than Oturo as well. Oturo may have been a touch better defensively than Payne as a freshman, but that may change. Neither was a great shooter, Oturo improved a huge amount while at the U, and Payne shoots it OK but has a good stroke. If he can eliminate the line-drives and develop some arc he's going to be OK with his shot. Overall, Payne is a much better player with a higher upside. His hands and feet for a guy his size is really impressive.

I think the people who’ve seen Payne play have watched both and trying to give some real context to Payne, not rip Oturo. Payne’s ranking was pathetically low for a couple reasons (mostly covid related) and we will see that this winter
I guess I didn't take any of it as a rip on Oturu, we all agree dude was a stud. I'm just saying the list of college guys who step on campus put up 10-7-1.5b then follow that up going 20-11-2.5 and get drafted is VERY small. I hope payne is that guy but I think that is pretty lofty goals..

I guess I didn't take any of it as a rip on Oturu, we all agree dude was a stud. I'm just saying the list of college guys who step on campus put up 10-7-1.5b then follow that up going 20-11-2.5 and get drafted is VERY small. I hope payne is that guy but I think that is pretty lofty goals..
With our offense and the guys we are adding/style of play I don’t know if Payne will get 20 a game, but metrically i bet he’s better defensively and has the ability to be equally valuable. If he continues his development of his outside shot he will have a chance to be a pro as well.

Oturu was as about as efficient as any player not named Garza in 2019-2020. He delivered every single night and had tools at every level of the court. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him that year, and we are very fortunate if someone else reaches that level.

I never played basketball, and certainly don't have a great basketball mind, and am curious how Payne and Evans would fit together. Would they be fighting each other for minutes, or can they both be on the floor at the same time?

I never played basketball, and certainly don't have a great basketball mind, and am curious how Payne and Evans would fit together. Would they be fighting each other for minutes, or can they both be on the floor at the same time?
I assume the best thing for Payne's NBA hopes at 6-9 is to learn, eventually, to play the PF position, which means developing range on his shot as well as the ability to dribble drive. So Evans may be a blessing to him in that way?

I assume the best thing for Payne's NBA hopes at 6-9 is to learn, eventually, to play the PF position, which means developing range on his shot as well as the ability to dribble drive. So Evans may be a blessing to him in that way?
I’d argue the opposite in todays NBA when they go small ball line ups you see guys like Draymond Green running the 5. Now we will see if we get a resurgence (check the Wolves new roster). I think they would most be used like Edey and Williams were at Purdue for college

I’d argue the opposite in todays NBA when they go small ball line ups you see guys like Draymond Green running the 5. Now we will see if we get a resurgence (check the Wolves new roster). I think they would most be used like Edey and Williams were at Purdue for college
Well, of course he has to commit first, but it didn’t enter my mind that they might be used like that. Interesting thought, but one that also causes me to be less assured of a commitment.

Neither Edey or Williams moved that well, from what I recall. If Payne can move well enough to defend 2-4, I could imagine a workable lineup. Bring the high-low back!

It really seems like we have the athletes. But do we have the coaching to use this talent in the most effective manner? I eagerly await your thoughts.

Top Bottom