Gophers lose massive Florida offensive tackle… (PP)

Gopher417

Reaction score
That's too bad...

Jacksonville, Fla., offensive tackle Austin Barber left the Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class on Monday.

The 6-foot-7, 315-pound offensive tackle shared last week in a 247sports.com story he was considering staying closer to home. It came after Mississippi State offered him a scholarship in late October.

“I would like to thank the University of Minnesota, including Coach (P.J.) Fleck and Coach (Brian) Callahan and everything they have done for me in this recruiting process,” Barber wrote on Twitter. “When I made that decision I didn’t not take it lightly, but with talking with my family members that have been on my side, I have decided to de-commit from The University of Minnesota and open my recruitment back up.”

The Gophers now have 16 commitments in next year’s class.

Maryland, Virginia Tech, and Mississippi State listed at Warm on 247. Must be getting some interest closer to home.

He didn't ask us to respect it. No respect required!

/s
I'm also curious what percentage he committed originally. Can somebody go back and look. I'd like to do a statistical analysis of likelihood to decommit given a tweet declaring 100%, 1000%, 10000%, etc committed.

Too bad, I had high hopes for him. Best of luck to him. Next!

This one stings. It feels a little like when Fleck was in on Jalen Mayfield early, then he committed to Michigan as soon as they showed interest.

This one stings. It feels a little like when Fleck was in on Jalen Mayfield early, then he committed to Michigan as soon as they showed interest.

It is the obvious downside to going after more high profile or attractive recruits. Other schools are going to be lurking out there trying to lure them away. Always disappointing but something we should get used to as Fleck continues to recruit a caliber of athlete that didn't give us the time of day in the past.

I thought of the same thing when Barber decommitted. I had read about a month ago that Barber had shed weight and looked really good this season which prompted a ratings bump from 247. It's tough to lose an offensive lineman especially when we've struggled to keep the best local ones home.

With all the transfers coming up in the future. Perhaps he'll be a Gopher in his prime.

Until we can demonstrate that we can develop OL for the NFL we will continue to lose OL to other schools. While our coaches have a proven track record with CB, WR, DL, LB and OL, at MN they have done everything but OL here (mostly because of the age of the recruits). When we get a few drafted things will change, but until then expect us to have to reach for our OL.

The great thing is we have at least a few NFL lineman on our current roster, so that part should take care of itself. It also seems like we are doing a great job at identifying kids that are blossoming later... so I don’t think we are far off from having a “WI offensive linemen pipeline”.

I wonder if the decommit didn't have something to do with Daniel Falele opting out of the season?

So is Big Dan coming back next year?
That's the assumption. He hasn't left the team, but is rumored to be a COVID opt out and hasn't been practicing. General consensus was that he'd need at least one more year of playing time at the College level before the NFL would take a shot at him (I think).

Safe to assume, if he's going to keep playing football, he'll be here next year. Especially if he doesn't care about going to the NFL and just wants to complete his education.

The great thing is we have at least a few NFL lineman on our current roster, so that part should take care of itself. It also seems like we are doing a great job at identifying kids that are blossoming later... so I don’t think we are far off from having a “WI offensive linemen pipeline”.
A "few", really? I hope you are right. Who are the ones you think will make NFL rosters?

I wonder if the decommit didn't have something to do with Daniel Falele opting out of the season?
I'm confused by this statement. Why would that affect his commitment? I would think he would see that as a positive (more room for him to start).

A "few", really? I hope you are right. Who are the ones you think will make NFL rosters?

Andries and JMS I’d think are both likely at a minimum... Faalele, Dunlop I had as likely coming into the year, though without knowing injury/COVID status there they are much more of question marks now... I also think Schlueter has a chance. It’s too early to tell anything on the next batch.

That would be awesome. I long for the day when we are like our neighbors to the east, and regularly put O lineman in the NFL

Top Bottom