Gophers listed as 13th in FBS for total athletic department debt with $218MM

Rockraven and bga's donations to the bball program are gonna more than cover this. Not worried.

What is that debt from? The Athlete’s Village still? What else?
Possibly still the stadium? The Athletic Department debt comes up fairly regularly and, if I remember correctly, it's not an apples to apples comparison with other Universities. Schools differ with what they consider Athletic Department debt and the U is (*shockingly) very strict on what it considers an Athletic Department debt while other schools are more likely to consider a debt a "general" debt or some other type of designation.

Something I've wondered about for some time is what is and is not covered in these athletic department budgets. We're aware that most of the big budget facility builds and upgrades are paid for by donors. But who pays the utilities and maintenance? Does that come from the athletic budget? Also, who pays for the scholarships? I know Michigan is one of the few schools where the athletic department pays for its athletes' scholarships.

I believe the Village can only be paid for through direct donations. So that could sit out there awhile and is owed to the general fund not anyone else. Also, MN athletic dept does not get the revenue from parking like every other college athletic dept does.

Something I've wondered about for some time is what is and is not covered in these athletic department budgets. We're aware that most of the big budget facility builds and upgrades are paid for by donors. But who pays the utilities and maintenance? Does that come from the athletic budget? Also, who pays for the scholarships? I know Michigan is one of the few schools where the athletic department pays for its athletes' scholarships.
The debt is probably from:

Stadium
Athletes Village
3M Arena improvements
Volleyball improvements
The new track
and any other building improvement made in the last 10-15 years.

So Minnesota is tied with Texas & behind Alabama, tOSU, Michigan, Iowa & Illinois in debt. I thought those schools were rolling in money.

Top Bottom