Gophers likely NIT bound

Missed-layup

Junior Member, a Senior Mind
Reaction score
Here is the remaining Gophers Schedule with projected outcome
Current record: (12-5, 3-2 Big Ten)

Sun, Jan 17 @ Indiana (Gopher Win)
Sat, Jan 23 Michigan State (Gopher Loss)
Tue, Jan 26 Northwestern (Gopher Win)
Sun, Jan 31 @ Ohio State (Gopher Loss)
Sat, Feb 06 @ Penn State (Gopher Win)
Thu, Feb 11 Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Feb 14 @ Northwestern (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Feb 18 Wisconsin (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 21 Indiana (Gopher Win)
Wed, Feb 24 Purdue (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 28 @ Illinois (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Mar 04 @ Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Mar 07 Iowa (Gopher Win)
Big 10 Tournament

Gophers Final record (19-11) = NIT Birth (likely 22 wins needed to make NCAA)
- Key games: We will have to win at least 4 of these games without losing any unexpected games to get to 22 wins:
- Wi at Home, Purdue at Home, OSU away, Northwestern at home, Ill away, Michigan away

I don't like our chances. The Big ten tourney could help if we win 1-2 but it will be tough.

Then let's just cancel the rest of the season.

NIT "birth"? Wasn't the NIT born a long time ago?

Selection Sunday,

Its better for all to face the facts of the Gophers situation. It will just save you hardship down the road psychologically and hopefully inspires this team to step it up a notch. They have to or it is NIT. You can be like Brewster and hope for the Rose bowl, but the facts tell us a much different tale.

Since when does a team from a major conference with an 18 game conference schedule need 22 wins to make the tournament? I know each team is evaluated individually but 22 seems like a pretty high floor.

Selection Sunday,

Its better for all to face the facts of the Gophers situation. It will just save you hardship down the road psychologically and hopefully inspires this team to step it up a notch. They have to or it is NIT. You can be like Brewster and hope for the Rose bowl, but the facts tell us a much different tale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOxY_nHdew

Are you kidding? We are the third best team in the BigTen talent wise now that Jon Leuer has gone down. Maybe I am drinking the koolaid, but I think we still have a shot at the Big Ten title. This NIT post completely caught me by surprise.

Selection Sunday,

Missed,

It is a bit presumptious of you to call your prediction a fact. I like the fact that they actually play the games and are not limited by people's predictions. I also rest comfortably in the fact that predictions of posters on the 'hole are not a significant motivator of our players. I also like the fact that the Gophers can beat anyone in the Big Ten in the right circumstances when they play up to their potential.

I am not a language cop, but to tell the rest of us (especialy Selection, who is the prime expert and reporter of real facts related to college hoops on this board) to accept the facts of your predictions is a bit much.

I look forward to the games, and hope the real facts play out in the Gophers' favor.

Since when is our goal to merely qualify for the dance? I get tired of that talk every year. Our goal should be sweet 16 and occasionally better. And since when do we dream of doing it with a nice collection of young kids and role players? We have the coach. Now where's the scorer and where's the beef?

Since when does a team from a major conference with an 18 game conference schedule need 22 wins to make the tournament? I know each team is evaluated individually but 22 seems like a pretty high floor.

Last Year Penn State won 21 and missed the Tournament. With a weak strength of schedule 22 wins is not a high bar, it is a likely bar for the gophers.

Gophers Final record (19-11) = NIT Birth (likely 22 wins needed to make NCAA)
- Key games: We will have to win at least 4 of these games without losing any unexpected games to get to 22 wins:
- Wi at Home, Purdue at Home, OSU away, Northwestern at home, Ill away, Michigan away

I don't like our chances. The Big ten tourney could help if we win 1-2 but it will be tough.

Minnesota only needs 20 wins to make it into the Dance. That would be 11 Big Ten wins. They would even have a shot at getting in with 19 wins and victories over teams like NW, OSU and Michigan.

Missed,

It is a bit presumptious of you to call your prediction a fact. I like the fact that they actually play the games and are not limited by people's predictions. I also rest comfortably in the fact that predictions of posters on the 'hole are not a significant motivator of our players. I also like the fact that the Gophers can beat anyone in the Big Ten in the right circumstances when they play up to their potential.

I am not a language cop, but to tell the rest of us (especialy Selection, who is the prime expert and reporter of real facts related to college hoops on this board) to accept the facts of your predictions is a bit much.

I look forward to the games, and hope the real facts play out in the Gophers' favor.

My prediction definitely is not a fact. It won't be factual until after the games are played, they are just likely outcomes. The Gophers can beat anyone in the big ten but most teams in the big ten can also beat us on any given day.

As for Selection guy, maybe their is a new sheriff in town, I'm not sure, but he is obviously a homer, loves to listen to Sid Hartman, and is probably a huge Brewster fan. If you call his info anything other than "hometown" biased then so be it. I'm just trying to bring some objectivity to some of the so called experts. I do appreciate the knowledge he brings as it is very useful, but lets try to check our biases at the door so we can and at least think about things a little. Differing opinions are useful. No offense Selection guy, I appreciate an opposing viewpoint.

The mere fact that you think it would take 13 conference wins for us to get to the tournament proves you don't know what you're talking about. Really, a 12-6 Big Ten record wouldn't get it done? Maybe "their" is a new sheriff in town, but that sheriff isn't an arrogant troll with baseless predictions.

Well, we'll definitely have a better idea of where this squad is headed by Tuesday when we find out if the academic casualty rumors are true and they don't lose to a terrible Indiana team...

As for Selection guy, maybe their is a new sheriff in town, I'm not sure, but he is obviously a homer, loves to listen to Sid Hartman, and is probably a huge Brewster fan. If you call his info anything other than "hometown" biased then so be it. I'm just trying to bring some objectivity to some of the so called experts. I do appreciate the knowledge he brings as it is very useful, but lets try to check our biases at the door so we can and at least think about things a little. Differing opinions are useful. No offense Selection guy, I appreciate an opposing viewpoint.

Hodger, a homer, who isn't objective? That is the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read in a long time. Bravo :clap:

Next I suppose you'll tell us that Ken Pomeroy is biased too when he calculates us to be favored in all but 1 of our remaining games.

Sun, Jan 17 @ Indiana (Gopher Win)
Sat, Jan 23 Michigan State (Gopher Loss)
Tue, Jan 26 Northwestern (Gopher Win)
Sun, Jan 31 @ Ohio State (Gopher Loss)
Sat, Feb 06 @ Penn State (Gopher Win)
Thu, Feb 11 Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Feb 14 @ Northwestern (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Feb 18 Wisconsin (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 21 Indiana (Gopher Win)
Wed, Feb 24 Purdue (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 28 @ Illinois (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Mar 04 @ Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Mar 07 Iowa (Gopher Win)

Your analysis of the remaining gamess and predictions is very fair, and it shows that there isn't a lot of margin for error with this team.

However, I don't really agree with anything else you have to say in this thread. It seems like you're just trying to pick fights with people. This isn't the football board. We are more civilized here on the bball board.

Never ceases to amaze me when folks feed the trolls.

lol

Selection Sunday,

lol.

1. Your prognostications and opinions are "facts" we have to face ?
2. Hopefully your prognostications and opinions will inspire the team!

:rolleyes:

Selection Sunday,

This is just ridiculous in so many ways. Equally as important as the number of wins the Gophers have are the way in which the wins came. If we beat Purdue, MSU and Wisconsin at the Barn but drop a few on the road to the Michigans and NWs of the Big 10, we still make the tournament.

How you can say home against Wisconsin, @ Illinois, and @NW are likely losses is more than hilarious. For that matter, saying any home game is a likely loss is hilarious. Guaranteed they will win at least two of the six games you pick as losses and more than likely three (and thats a fact)

He also did give us 3 road wins. If predicting a home loss is hilarious, picking any road game as a probable Gopher win is just as hilarious, if not more.

Although I did not predict this loss to Indiana, it goes to prove my point about the Gophers hopes of reaching the NCAA tournament. This is a loss we should have won and it makes our NCAA birth that much more less likely. A bunch of "heathens" in this blog have jumped down my throat for telling it like it is and I understand the pain of the truth hurts, and many just don't want to face the facts...

Well, we'll definitely have a better idea of where this squad is headed by Tuesday when we find out if the academic casualty rumors are true and they don't lose to a terrible Indiana team...

Art,

What academic casualty rumors are you referring to?

Is Iverson flunking out of school, he sure plays like it.

Bragging is aethetically displeasing. Very so especially when truth is yet to be seen or confirmed. :)

Who is bragging? restating facts is not bragging, is it?

M-L

Who is bragging? restating facts is not bragging, is it?

Here we go again with your "facts".

"This is a loss we should have won and it makes our NCAA birth that much more less likely..."

I have a fact for you, the NCAA does not offer teams a "birth".

Another fact, The U of M was born in 1851, 50 plus years prior to the "birth" of the NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaa...caa/ncaa/about+the+ncaa/overview/history.html

Those are facts.

The fact is the NCAA offers teams a "berth" in their tournament.

That's a fact.

Here we go again with your "facts".

"This is a loss we should have won and it makes our NCAA birth that much more less likely..."

I have a fact for you, the NCAA does not offer teams a "birth".

Another fact, The U of M was born in 1851, 50 plus years prior to the "birth" of the NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaa...caa/ncaa/about+the+ncaa/overview/history.html

Those are facts.

The fact is the NCAA offers teams a "berth" in their tournament.

That's a fact.

Dude, you got me on that one. I said Birth instead of berth, so shoot me. You understood my point. I obviously was a U of MN graduate with such spelling errors as that.

PS: you should change your moniker to Section 8, its more fitting.

While he comes off as annoying, the rest of the season projection put together by missed layup yesterday was more than fair. I agreed with it before the Indiana game, and even more so after it. And everyone knows I'm not a troll.

This team is going to have to win a couple of games on the road minimum to make the dance. And the easiest game the rest of the way was already lost. They MUST win two of the three @Michigan, @NW and @PSU if there is any chance of the NCAAs.

Top Bottom