Gophers' Liam Robbins earns Big Ten and national player of the week honors for second time

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Wow - Can't Stop, Won't Stop.

Beyond impressive how he took it to Dickenson in the rematch!!

U center Robbins earns national, Big Ten honors for second time - StarTribune.com

From the article (regarding our soon to be All B10 performer) -

Gophers junior center Liam Robbins added his second national and conference weekly awards Monday by being honored as the Big Ten and Naismith Award player of the week.

The 7-foot Robbins spearheaded the 75-57 upset Saturday over No. 7 Michigan by leading the team with 22 points, eight rebounds and two blocks in 22 minutes. That victory lifted the Gophers to No. 17 in the latest Associated Press poll, up from No. 23.

Robbins ranks second on the team in scoring (13.8), first in rebounding (7.3) and leads the Big Ten in blocks (2.6) this season.

After transferring from Drake, the Iowa native has started all 15 games and helped the Gophers go undefeated at home so far this season with an 11-0 record, including victories over Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan State and Michigan.

In those four victories against ranked opponents at home, Robbins averaged 21.3 points, 9.0 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 1.3 steals. He also shot 61.7% (29-for-47) from the field, 78.1% (25-for-32) from the foul line and 50% (6-for-12) from three-point range.

In early January, Robbins won the Big Ten player of the week award and Oscar Robertson national player of the week award after his 27-point, 14-rebound, five-block performance in a 17-point victory over Ohio State.

The Gophers had their scheduled game Wednesday at Nebraska postponed with the Cornhuskers on pause due to COVID-19. They are scheduled to play Maryland on Saturday at Williams Arena.

That is odd choice for NATIONAL player of the week last week. He averaged 16 ppg, 7 rpg, 2 bpg and shot less than 50% from the field in a 1-1 week. He was HUGE in the victory over Michigan but those are underwhelming numbers for a National Player of the Week.

P.S. Please don't mistake this for me sh1tting all over him because Robbins has exceeded my wildest expectations and I shudder to think of where we'd be at without him. My comments are simply referring to the Iowa and Michigan games.

He deserves so much credit for working to transform his body, and to upgrade his game to another level......

Last edited:

That is odd choice for NATIONAL player of the week last week. He averaged 16 ppg, 7 rpg, 2 bpg and shot less than 50% from the field in a 1-1 week. He was HUGE in the victory over Michigan but those are underwhelming numbers for a National Player of the Week.

P.S. Please don't mistake this for me sh1tting all over him because Robbins has exceeded my wildest expectations and I shudder to think of where we'd be at without him. My comments are simply referring to the Iowa and Michigan games.

Yeah, I was super confused by this as well.

I like robbins a lot, very grateful he is a Gopher. National player of the week seems like a stretch this time around. But maybe every other candidate was worse than him.

You have to take into account the competition when looking at the numbers. Not only did he put up great numbers against Michigan, he held hunter dickenson to a bad game and helped get a win over an undefeated top 10 team. The numbers alone might not be great, but it’s more impressive when you think about who it was against

He also held Dickinson to just 5 FG attempts and 3 FT attempts.

That was a team effort! Robbins only played 22 minutes so Dickinson was guarded by others as well.
Yes but nearly all of the minutes they played, Dickinson and Liam were on the court the same time. Curry and Davis guarded each other when those two weren’t on the floor primarily.

Yes but nearly all of the minutes they played, Dickinson and Liam were on the court the same time. Curry and Davis guarded each other when those two weren’t on the floor primarily.
I was wondering if that was the case. Smaht coaching by Pitino to keep them matched up on each other!

So IF (big IF) we did land Hurt, we most likely would not have landed Liam. What impact would that have on our record?

I think having Liam over Hurt is at this point in season is +3 wins.

So IF (big IF) we did land Hurt, we most likely would not have landed Liam. What impact would that have on our record?

I think having Liam over Hurt is at this point in season is +3 wins.

I think it is safer to say had we landed Hurt as a transfer we probably don't have Johnson (or maybe Gach). Robbins is a center. Hurt is not. I don't see the cause and effect there.

I have to admit. Watching the first few games this kid played, I didn't think he was going to be much. He has really come around though, maybe was just getting acclimated to his new team.

As it sits, he is looking like one of the more dominating big men we have had through this program. Certainly for the last few years. Can score, shoot, hit free throws and block shots.

Very, very nice pickup, let's hope he stays another year.

Right, that's why I said it would likely come at the expense of Johnson (or maybe Gach). But, the Gophers almost certainly take both Robbins and Hurt and start them both.
If we had Hurt, we wouldn’t have taken Demir and maybe Ihnen but then because if that, we may have still taken Johnson as the backup PF to Hurt as Johnson didn’t have great options aside from us when he transferred.

The more interesting comparison is Liam to Oturu although I think we would easily start both if we had both this year and play Daniel at the 4.

If we had Hurt, we wouldn’t have taken Demir and maybe Ihnen but then because if that, we may have still taken Johnson as the backup PF to Hurt as Johnson didn’t have great options aside from us when he transferred.

The more interesting comparison is Liam to Oturu although I think we would easily start both if we had both this year and play Daniel at the 4.

I took the poster to mean Hurt transferring this past offseason??? There were Gopherhole rumblings of that, which obviously were not valid. That's how I took it. Of course, if Hurt comes here out of high school things are different.

Top Bottom