Gophers land former top-100 WR Texas A&M transfer Dylan Wright

Could this news put the JD Spielman issue to rest?

It shouldn't. They are completely different. This guy is a big outside WR with 4 years of eligibility left. Spielman would be a returner/slot WR who would be a 1 year rental.

I have no idea if we have any chance of landing JD, but I doubt this has much to do with it (other than one fewer scholarship available).

What do we know about him? Fast, big?

who cares about ranking and recruiting classes then?
I only care about them because they are somewhat accurate predictions of the amount of talent that we add. However, if we add talent that is not calculated in the rankings OR if we get credit in the rankings for bringing in someone who doesn't get into school - - -I don't really care about that.

The rankings are only important because they are a tool to help predict eventual talent.

Well, that is two seemingly great additions to the team. Dylan and the new LB both should play and help us be better. Hopefully, we can add 4 or 5 more guys with a similaar resume of the two we have gotten.

I read that Texas A&M played a short rotation at WR and that their TE was actually their leading receiver. That lead to limited playing time for Wright and probably was the reason for his transfer. A&M also got a 5 star wide receiver in the '20 class who barely played in '20 so Wright had a lot of competition for playing time at A&M. Nice to add a player of his size to our WR room and the little I've seen of his high school highlights was impressive, though they are not exactly relevant 3 years removed now.

All he needs to do is run a good slant and were good
Unfortunately, you are correct. I’m ready for a little more diversity in the passing game. I’m hoping that a full spring practice will lead to new avenues in that area.

I love this addition, it felt like they needed to add another big WR. Welcome aboard Dylan!

Unfortunately, you are correct. I’m ready for a little more diversity in the passing game. I’m hoping that a full spring practice will lead to new avenues in that area.

Well you got it, we had significantly more diversity in our routes this year.

IMO it was one of the main reasons why our passing game struggled. A lot of the 2019 slants were dig/square-in routes this year. I actually think we called significantly less RPO. It's difficult to run the RPO on the dig/square-in routes because they take longer to develop. Don't get me wrong, I think they looked similar to the RPO, but they were often called playaction pass plays. If you get a chance to re-watch the games from this year, note the number of times our WR was catching the ball and they were almost running parallel to the LOS rather than at ~45 degree angle (slant). Also try to think of plays this year where it looked like Tanner pulled the ball out of the RB's gut to pass (with the OL run blocking).

These routes are all going to look really similar because Tanner Morgan is going to have to do most of his damage on the inside. He doesn't have a huge arm. He can certainly throw the deep ball but that's not where arm strength really comes in. We aren't going to see a lot of outs or flood type actions. It's because our passing game is an extension of a power running game. So I would always expect to see a lot of playaction passing that attacks the middle of the field.

This was a pretty big change to our passing game this year and it involved a significant increase in diversity to our passing game. Much less slant. I don't know if we ran any RPO (I'm probably wrong here). Much less max protect. Reasonable people can disagree but I didn't like the changes. That said, you could make the argument that the more exotic sets this year helped to open up the running game too.

I only care about them because they are somewhat accurate predictions of the amount of talent that we add. However, if we add talent that is not calculated in the rankings OR if we get credit in the rankings for bringing in someone who doesn't get into school - - -I don't really care about that.

The rankings are only important because they are a tool to help predict eventual talent.

247's team talent has you covered

Insane offer list out of HS (everyone wanted him, besides his GF and you)_

Dylan Wright Recruit Interests (247sports.com)

Looks like he basically had his pick of any school in the country out of high school. This has the potential to be a massive pickup, I mean imagine how excited we would have been if he had signed here a couple years ago.

Love that he has 4 years of eligibility as well. Fleck has done well with transfers that he has brought in to this point (St. Juste, MDT, Williamson....) so they seem to have a good eye for finding those guys that just might need a change of scenery.

Feel like a broken record but what Fleck has done to the WR position here is nothing short of amazing. Will be very interesting to see what Wright can do and how he fits in the mix next year.

Love it. Fleck has an awesome track record with receivers. Getting a guy with four years of eligibility and the insane physical skills that Wright has? This is a major addition. Probably the "Christmas came early" tweet/news from Nick Murphy.

Looks like he basically had his pick of any school in the country out of high school. This has the potential to be a massive pickup, I mean imagine how excited we would have been if he had signed here a couple years ago.

Love that he has 4 years of eligibility as well. Fleck has done well with transfers that he has brought in to this point (St. Juste, MDT, Williamson....) so they seem to have a good eye for finding those guys that just might need a change of scenery.

Feel like a broken record but what Fleck has done to the WR position here is nothing short of amazing. Will be very interesting to see what Wright can do and how he fits in the mix next year.

I'm totally stoked too!

I can't wait for next year to start.

Do transfers get automatic immediate eligibility this year?
Wasn't there just an announcement from the NCAA that all transfers this school year would get a blanket waiver to be immediately eligible at their new school*.

* I don't think it applies to a player transferring within a season.

For whatever reason your comment U2 to BG69 made me think of Weber in his first season at QB during the Dark Years. The completely new spread offense was installed, and although Weber had Eric Decker as a target, a lot of offensive series that year ended up as multiple pass completions for 1-2 yards and punting.

Even this year in the covid alternative timeline is light years beyond then, thank goodness.

Not offering this as any type of anything comparing Tanner to Adam...Decker to Bateman...or the respective HCs from then and now. Just where the neural network went with your own thought.

Merry Christmas to all.

Love it. Fleck has an awesome track record with receivers. Getting a guy with four years of eligibility and the insane physical skills that Wright has? This is a major addition. Probably the "Christmas came early" tweet/news from Nick Murphy.
Murphy referenced the trenches so might have been Martin but don’t think it was Wright

Well you got it, we had significantly more diversity in our routes this year.

IMO it was one of the main reasons why our passing game struggled. A lot of the 2019 slants were dig/square-in routes this year. I actually think we called significantly less RPO. It's difficult to run the RPO on the dig/square-in routes because they take longer to develop. Don't get me wrong, I think they looked similar to the RPO, but they were often called playaction pass plays. If you get a chance to re-watch the games from this year, note the number of times our WR was catching the ball and they were almost running parallel to the LOS rather than at ~45 degree angle (slant). Also try to think of plays this year where it looked like Tanner pulled the ball out of the RB's gut to pass (with the OL run blocking).

These routes are all going to look really similar because Tanner Morgan is going to have to do most of his damage on the inside. He doesn't have a huge arm. He can certainly throw the deep ball but that's not where arm strength really comes in. We aren't going to see a lot of outs or flood type actions. It's because our passing game is an extension of a power running game. So I would always expect to see a lot of playaction passing that attacks the middle of the field.

This was a pretty big change to our passing game this year and it involved a significant increase in diversity to our passing game. Much less slant. I don't know if we ran any RPO (I'm probably wrong here). Much less max protect. Reasonable people can disagree but I didn't like the changes. That said, you could make the argument that the more exotic sets this year helped to open up the running game too.
We ran some RPO this year, not as much as last year though. Our wideouts weren’t as good at pressing vertical this year.
your first and second paragraphs are spot on.

Then we get people complaining that we aren’t creative enough....I’m more on your side of the coin. We might have outsmarted ourselves this year. Especially without regular spring ball and regular fall camp might have been smart to keep it simpler.

I think long term, if we can start executing better, the offense we ran this year has more upside....but it’s harder to execute than KC’s system was.

I felt like we were victims Of trying to feature bateman early in the year. Seemed like at times we were trying to get batemen touches rather than just using him as part of the offense. Obviously you want to get him touches, but the goal is to score...not To get him touches.

the offense we ran this year has more upside....but it’s harder to execute than KC’s system was.

Neat wild guess, you have no actual clue if this is true or not.

Ask Utah State and Western Kentucky about upside.

Great to get some positive football news ! PJF knows receivers and he's added some much needed depth/talent on D. Go Gophers !

Top Bottom