FS1

17th

Northwestern vs. Nebraska

BTN

19th

Rutgers vs. Indiana

BTN

25th

But I've been told Minnesota and Iowa are 'mediocre'. I've also heard some say that Iowa and Minnesota play a style of football that is boring and not 'modern'.

And yet, many people found the matchup compelling enough to watch.

Hmmmmm...

I really enjoy the higher production value with camera and audio NBC brings to the table...booth guys were very good, had done a lot of homework and added good commentary.
Yeah the nbc guys were good.

The rules guy they went to in the first half… was like a guy off the street… not smrt.

But I've been told Minnesota and Iowa are 'mediocre'. I've also heard some say that Iowa and Minnesota play a style of football that is boring and not 'modern'.

Hmmmmm...
They are mediocre.
People watching them doesn’t make them top 20 teams

Hmmmmm...
99.5% of Americans didn't watch. I'm not sure how either of those statements are contradicted by this.

99.5% of Americans didn't watch. I'm not sure how either of those statements are contradicted by this.
Colorado isn’t a better team because more people watch them. They are the team they are

Top 10 most watched ….. of Week 8.

Not the season.

Michigan - Michigan State … an in-state game had double the viewers.

Nice that the Minnesota-Iowa battle attracts attention.

Power Michigan garners high interest. Michigan plays Ohio State in the regular season finale.

1698365593957.png

I think it does make me think big ten tv deal really smart.
9/10 games on this list are network tv games. And the cable game was 9th.

Smart to strike a deal with network tv

I think it does make me think big ten tv deal really smart.
9/10 games on this list are network tv games. And the cable game was 9th.

Smart to strike a deal with network tv

I thought the same. Most of the big games could be watched with a set of rabbit ears.

If PJs gophers stomp MSU expect rumors about MSU having a serious interest in PJ. Expect it.

Hmmmmm...
More than 4X as many were watching Tennessee vs Alabama in the same TV window on CBS.

The TVs numbers for Iowa & Minnesota are nothing to brag about.

More than 4X as many were watching Tennessee vs Alabama in the same TV window on CBS.

FOX (Texas vs Houston), ABC (Oregon vs Washington St) and CBS (Tennessee vs Alabama) were also televising games at the same time as NBC's telecast for Floyd of Rosedale which was 4th in the ratings.

By a lot.

CBS - 8.01 million
FOX - 3.08 million
ABC - 2.35 million
NBC -1.68 million

@Ope3 yep nailed it. If anything, it’s worrisome.

Either has NBC going “damn, did we screw up with the Big Ten??” or at least going “well, that shows you if it’s not one of the major programs, don’t put them on broadcast and expect ratings”.

In all honesty, for me personally …. I really don’t care that much about how much “ratings value” the Gophers games generate for the Big Ten (‘s TV deal). We’re never going to be a major ratings generator in of ourselves.

Casual CFB fans are very fickle like that. Doesn’t bother me. Let every Gopher game be on BTN for all I care. Comes through just the same for me.

Last edited:

@Ope3 yep nailed it. If anything, it’s worrisome.

Either has NBC going “damn, did we screw up with the Bug Ten??” or at least going “well, that shows you if it’s not one of the major programs, don’t put them on broadcast and expect ratings”.

In all honesty, for me personally …. I really don’t care that much about how much “ratings value” the Gophers games generate for the Big Ten (‘s TV deal). We’re never going to be a major ratings generator in of ourselves.

Casual CFB fans are very fickle like that. Doesn’t bother me. Let every Gopher game be on BTN for all I care. Comes through just the same for me.
Sort of related as #1 was Penn St vs Ohio St which was just under 10 million, and it was a NOON Eastern/11 AM Central.

One of the most brilliant decisions in broadcasting in general has been FOXs going counter intuitive by showcasing their premier matchups in the early window as opposed to later afternoon or prime time.

It’s a big time commitment to sit down and watch a game live. (Not sure how much these ratings can capture people watching later on DVR). Especially if you’re only casually interested.

The 230pm Central time slot is right in the middle of the day and really takes out a big chunk of the day for getting stuff done.

That is abysmally low viewership.
NBC does good promotion and has good production. Not sure what the problem is. Similar Big Ten West games have crushed on Fox.

Unrelated - besides Florida State, the ACC is a total ratings wasteland for networks.

Again, casual fans are really fickle.

The same argument can be made of “how is it possible for nearly identical games to get significantly lower ratings on FS1 than ESPN??”

But it is. It happens.

People just somehow “don’t know” to even look on NBC? That seems preposterous, but there has to be something.

Okay. I'm sorry that I got too excited, enthusiastic and positive about the program. My bad.

I guess I forgot where I was.

I'm still spun up about beating Iowa, I guess. I forgot that it was no big deal.

I apologize.

People just somehow “don’t know” to even look on NBC? That seems preposterous, but there has to be something.
I think football viewers (that aren’t all about Notre Dame) don’t yet even think about NBC as an option on Saturdays.

This effect can really be seen with the ACC on CW. Pretty much every television in the USA gets the CW, and they’ve had some compelling games. Yet, the ratings are shockingly low - because unless you’re really looking for games, you’d never think to check there.

Can it Murray.

Your fake “Oh well excuse me for being a bigger fan than you!!” bit gets old.

Does it? That's a shame.

From my side, I never tire of the "Everything is mediocre or terrible" mantra... no matter how often it appears.

It does, because it’s a bit you play on here for your own entertainment.

You’re not actually a bigger fan than anyone. You just play the bit, to stir s__t up on here.

It does, because it’s a bit you play on here for your own entertainment.

You’re not actually a bigger fan than anyone. You just play the bit, to stir s__t up on here.

I'm a mediocre fan, probably. Most everything and everybody is/are mediocre, I'm told.

That's nothing to get your s**t stirred up about.

FOX (Texas vs Houston), ABC (Oregon vs Washington St) and CBS (Tennessee vs Alabama) were also televising games at the same time as NBC's telecast for Floyd of Rosedale which was 4th in the ratings.

By a lot.

CBS - 8.01 million
FOX - 3.08 million
ABC - 2.35 million
NBC -1.68 million
Yeah. To get the 10th most watched game of the week being the 3-4th best game on paper in that window is impressive tbh

Texas Houston was tied in the late 4th and it’s a top 15 team. Had that been a blowout I suspect it would’ve been a lower number

Okay. I'm sorry that I got too excited, enthusiastic and positive about the program. My bad.

I guess I forgot where I was.

I'm still spun up about beating Iowa, I guess. I forgot that it was no big deal.

I apologize.
I'm not sure why correcting you on the full picture of the TV ratings has to dampen your enthusiasm or positivity about the Gophers in general. It's doesn't detract my enjoyment of the victory one iota.

The game itself was not very aesthetically pleasing. Understatement. Iowa's star players are the Punter and Punt Returner. Not going to attract many eyeballs.

It's just a fact that not that many outside the Iowa/Minnesota fanbases were tuned in. That's ok.

That is abysmally low viewership.
NBC does good promotion and has good production. Not sure what the problem is. Similar Big Ten West games have crushed on Fox.

Unrelated - besides Florida State, the ACC is a total ratings wasteland for networks.
Maybe if Iowa was any good, the viewership would be better. 😂🥓

Top Bottom