Gophers in the portal

I agree. He saw the field a lot. He didn’t catch a lot of balls because he had very few targets. But he worked himself open a lot. He did everything he could to contribute in the role he was give. Our former offensive scheme didn’t return the favor. Good solid kid. Can’t believe anyone would be curmudgeonly enough to say the scholarship was a waste. Jeez.
It’s not about being curmudgeonly. You have limited numbers of scholarships, winning and losing depends largely on how you fill them. If you knew Boyd would leave after a year there is zero chance you would have offered him. It’s not a knock on the kid by any means. There are others that are leaving that I feel the same way about.

It’s not about being curmudgeonly. You have limited numbers of scholarships, winning and losing depends largely on how you fill them. If you knew Boyd would leave after a year there is zero chance you would have offered him. It’s not a knock on the kid by any means. There are others that are leaving that I feel the same way about.
But you didn’t know he would leave after a year. Nobody did. (If you think you knew back in 2019 we he committed that he would leave after his freshman year, you need help.) So it’s not a “waste.” Boyd was was an excellent opportunity for the Gophers that ultimately didn’t beat fruit. I don’t know why Boyd transferred, but how he was used by our former OC as a freshman (basically a hard-working decoy) might have had something to do with it.

But you didn’t know he would leave after a year. Nobody did. (If you think you knew back in 2019 we he committed that he would leave after his freshman year, you need help.) So it’s not a “waste.” Boyd was was an excellent opportunity for the Gophers that ultimately didn’t beat fruit. I don’t know why Boyd transferred, but how he was used by our former OC as a freshman (basically a hard-working decoy) might have had something to do with it.
Waste...didn't bear fruit...what's the difference?

If that joke hurt my feelings so much it made me leave a school that I otherwise wanted to stay, I'd be pretty pissed at my mom for posting it on social media.

It's a weird joke, weird reaction, and weird facebook post.

Mama drama. Embarrassing for the kid. I guess I don’t get what was so bad about what Capt said? Lost in translation.

Mama should have named him Trois or Quatre, it turns out.

Too bad about Boyd. I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking he was going to break out. Have to think guys that can get open, run, and catch the ball with their hands will be prioritized in a Ciarrocca offense. If this move is a Ewers reunion…or package deal I hope he isn’t getting sold a bill of goods by other coaches.

Too bad about Boyd. I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking he was going to break out. Have to think guys that can get open, run, and catch the ball with their hands will be prioritized in a Ciarrocca offense. If this move is a Ewers reunion…or package deal I hope he isn’t getting sold a bill of goods by other coaches.
There's no way in hell some coach or program is like "we got to get these HS teammates back together". There's no way Ewers is like "screw OSU, you know who I want is my old HS WR". Get real.

There's no way in hell some coach or program is like "we got to get these HS teammates back together". There's no way Ewers is like "screw OSU, you know who I want is my old HS WR". Get real.
Just repeating hearsay. I personally have no idea or real opinion. Who knows. I don’t.

You and I have fundamentally different views of life and human worth.
I don’t even know what you are talking about. Apparently you think calling a scholarship a waste means I’m devaluing human worth. Call it what you want, giving a scholarship to a guy that is here for a year and has little impact then leaves is not going to help this team win. I don’t know why that devalues Boyd in any way.
Ewers left OSU for play time, and possibly according to some he only left Texas to cash in on NIL as Texas had some rule against it. You think Ewers couldn’t tell a middling program like TT to take his buddy if he commits? Who wouldn’t take Boyd if it meant you also get Ewers?

I don’t even know what you are talking about. Apparently you think calling a scholarship a waste means I’m devaluing human worth. Call it what you want, giving a scholarship to a guy that is here for a year and has little impact then leaves is not going to help this team win. I don’t know why that devalues Boyd in any way.

Ewers left OSU for play time, and possibly according to some he only left Texas to cash in on NIL as Texas had some rule against it. You think Ewers couldn’t tell a middling program like TT to take his buddy if he commits? Who wouldn’t take Boyd if it meant you also get Ewers?
It seems unlikely that Ewers would stake his college career on Boyd. The Boyd-Ewers connection seems pretty flimsy to me.

I guess I'm taking some liberties here, but the fact that his teammate is replying with a smiley face makes me feel like it's football-related.

But far more importantly, the upside-down exclamation point!!

(Yeah, who even knows what that's supposed to mean)

Of course you do, like everyone does.

You're just looking for someone to argue with.

To me it sounds like Kirk was saying an ill-prepared QB way down the depth chart starting versus a Michigan defense might just wish he had stayed in Iowa City. I (sort of) understand how someone looking to be insulted - which is a lot of people - would interpret that as the fourth string QB is terrible and also refuse to accept any clarification or apology offered by the coach. Mama Bear is already Really Upset because her darling “Mahomes“ isn’t starting and the media is always looking to create or feed controversy.

Q. Deuce, transfer portal out there. What were your conversations with him regarding that?

COACH FERENTZ: It’s unfortunate. We don’t want to lose any players. We’ve had a couple choose to transfer out. Usually when players have that thought, my first question would be, have you thought about it, spent a lot of time thinking about it, who have you talked to, those types of things. Then the second question is, do you need more time to make a decision?

And then the only other thing I’d add to it is with the quarterback situation, it’s a little different as we know. I know the portal has changed the world a little bit. But I’ve always looked at quarterbacks separately. We have had three guys.

I’ve talked to Deuce about this, we’ve had three guys who left here, did well at their next stops. My guess is he’ll do the same thing.

But the quarterback position is unique. It’s unique in recruiting, as you know. They commit earlier, typically, because there are limited seats.

I know they used to call them the point guard in basketball.

So I fully appreciate it. He wants to get somewhere where he feels like he has a little bit better opportunity, and fully support him. He’s a tremendous young guy. He has a really good arm. And I joked about him last Tuesday, but he made some really good throws that day. Probably been more appropriate if I said our third quarter instead of naming his name.

But I’m not real comfortable with any third quarterback being in the game until they get to work as a 1 or 2, but he’s a talented young guy.

To me it sounds like Kirk was saying an ill-prepared QB way down the depth chart starting versus a Michigan defense might just wish he had stayed in Iowa City.
Again, you're just being dishonest in order to try to have an argument with someone.

This is like claiming that you understand how someone who used a racial slur to refer to someone else, and then tried to backtrack on that by saying "yeah that probably wasn't the appropriate way to phrase that", didn't really mean to do any harm.

Silly

Again, you're just being dishonest in order to try to have an argument with someone.

This is like claiming that you understand how someone who used a racial slur to refer to someone else, and then tried to backtrack on that by saying "yeah that probably wasn't the appropriate way to phrase that", didn't really mean to do any harm.

Silly

What is the term for a male “Karen”? Patrick?

I didn't bash him first of all. But his scholarship was a waste, and this program will be a dumpster fire if others did this in mass.
He played in every game this year. He didn't waste the scholarship, but his use in our offense this year was wasted. That's not on him.

He played in every game this year. He didn't waste the scholarship, but his use in our offense this year was wasted. That's not on him.
He didn't get a chance to do much as a receiver but assume he was on a few special teams units. Reminds me some of Logan Payne's first year back in 2003. He was hardly used and didn't really become a weapon until his Junior and Senior years. He would have been great to have had around in 2007 but of course was out of eligibility.

Difference there though is that he stayed his whole career so burning that first year was unfortunate. In this case it doesn't really matter since Boyd is leaving anyway.

Did not say HE wasted it, I'm not blaming anyone, I'm not disparaging anyone. I'm done trying to explain how using a scholarship on a one year true freshman is worse than investing it in a more productive one year transfer or multi year player. Obviously you would need to see the future to be able to do this.

Did not say HE wasted it, I'm not blaming anyone, I'm not disparaging anyone. I'm done trying to explain how using a scholarship on a one year true freshman is worse than investing it in a more productive one year transfer or multi year player. Obviously you would need to see the future to be able to do this.
No scholarship is a waste. No one can see the future. It’s sure easy to look in the rear view mirror though, isn’t it?

No scholarship is a waste. No one can see the future. It’s sure easy to look in the rear view mirror though, isn’t it?
Ok, we can call it something else. Some scholarships help you win though, and some don't, correct?

Yeah, it's unlikely it's football related. Hopefully he helps them beat Iowa.
If it was a home thing, he'd be at Mizzou or even Illinois. Must have a g/f at ISU or maybe MN just wasn't a good fit.

If it was a home thing, he'd be at Mizzou or even Illinois. Must have a g/f at ISU or maybe MN just wasn't a good fit.
I think some thing school or discipline related happened. Anderson and Cheney both entered the portal early in the week of the Badger game.

Anderson was set to be a starter next year and get a ton of PT against WI that week. If he wasn't happy here, I think he would have waited a week. Who would want to miss that game?

It seems unlikely that Ewers would stake his college career on Boyd. The Boyd-Ewers connection seems pretty flimsy to me.
But no one said anything about "staking" or ultimatums. Ewers is leaving for his own reasons and he's a top QB prospect with his choice of options. A player of that caliber can ask for an add on, especially one as good as Boyd. Boyd likes the idea of playing with Ewers in Texas more than playing for Minnesota with Morgan, perhaps using another year of eligibility with few targets.

It's might be as simple as Ewers and Boyd are 19 year olds who want to play together again, in their home state, and the sum total of their talent gives them options.

Silly
no, this is nothing like using a racial slur.

Top Bottom