Gophers in the NIT!!

Do people think any current players leaning towards entering the portal would take themselves out of Tomorrow’s game, or wait until after the tournament to announce it?
No, I don't think we are there yet. It just doesn't make a ton of sense timing wise. The only schools not focusing on postseason right now are small schools and programs that are struggling.

I suppose it's possible we'll see players on postseason teams that are buried in the depth chart start considering a move early, but I think it's going to be rare.

One of the things with football that makes the timing so difficult is that the players really want to be at their new school by January 2nd so they can enroll immediately (start working out with the team, etc.).

With basketball, most of the players still will need to finish their semester at their previous school, so waiting another couple of weeks, isn't really a big deal.

Anyone know if one of the auto bids declines, does the next in line for the conference get the auto bid or does that conference just forfeit one of them?

Anyone know if one of the auto bids declines, does the next in line for the conference get the auto bid or does that conference just forfeit one of them?

It went to the next in line. It's why UGA is a "protected" seed, even with their resume and overall w/l record being pretty bad.

I think it'll be a good sign to hopefully see everybody dressed and playing tomorrow (Including JOJ)

#5 has done reasonably well against #4 in recent history. Here are the victories by #5 over #4 over the last 8 tournaments with 32 teams. 2021 is omitted because that one had only 16 teams (at a centralized location) and the 2020 tournament was cancelled.

Winning 5th Seed Teams in 32 team NIT tournament
5th Seed4th Seed
2023Eastern WashWash State
UCFFlorida
2022St. BonaventureColorado
OregonUtah State
2019LipscombDavidson
ArkansasProvidence
2018WashingtonBoise State
2017Ole MissMonmouth
2016NONE
2015AZ StateUCONN
George WashPitt
VandySt. Marys
2014LSUSan Francisco
BelmontGreen Bay
Just weak nit teams is all this states

The more I think about it, I'm sad about all these teams opting out of the NIT to get a jump on recruiting transfers. Just another unfortunate side effect of portal chaos: the inability for teams to be in the moment and participate in the season that's still ongoing.

I'll guess I'll stop shaking my fist at a cloud and go back to being glad the Gophers accepted their invite and we get to watch one more game.

The more I think about it, I'm sad about all these teams opting out of the NIT to get a jump on recruiting transfers. Just another unfortunate side effect of portal chaos: the inability for teams to be in the moment and participate in the season that's still ongoing.

I'll guess I'll stop shaking my fist at a cloud and go back to being glad the Gophers accepted their invite and we get to watch one more game.
and hopefully more than one! Butler is very beatable.....

They need to change the portal window dates until close to the end of post season play.

Doogie mentioned yesterday on SKOR NORTH that the NIT/NCAA made the Gophers fly commercial to Indianapolis for the game.

No wonder so many schools opted out.

Doogie mentioned yesterday on SKOR NORTH that the NIT/NCAA made the Gophers fly commercial to Indianapolis for the game.

No wonder so many schools opted out.
What? You have to be kidding me!!!!! That is totally insane!!

Maybe Greyhound had no availability.

What? You have to be kidding me!!!!! That is totally insane!!

Maybe Greyhound had no availability.
I wonder if they will just keep them in the Hoosier state pending the outcome of the Indiana St game, short drive to Terre Haute.

Probably weren't a lot of redeye options back to MSP with the game getting done at 11pm EST.

I wonder if they will just keep them in the Hoosier state pending the outcome of the Indiana St game, short drive to Terre Haute.

Probably weren't a lot of redeye options back to MSP with the game getting done at 11pm EST.
I was curious about that too...but we don't even know when our next game is yet.

If we don't play until Sunday- I'd be surprised if they stayed in Indiana until then, but who knows

Top Bottom