Gophers in N Alabama transfer Daniel Ortiz top 6

I didn't ridicule Ben for Taurus Samuels - he was needed. We needed another ball handler and he provided some depth at the position. I just had a preference of a FR (with potentially more upside) than a 1 year player who likely won't be a big contributor. But I can certainly see why Ben added him.

My point was actually an argument against your second point. If we continually have to use scholarships on Samuels types, then there isn't a benefit to stringing three years of these types in lieu of adding a FR.
I imagine with Samuels he was also specifically targeted for a third position. We had a roster continuity issue he needed a veteran that could help teach the younger guys.

He issue being alleviated this year, would mean more room for that young flyer type player.

This isn't difficult. He took Samuels because that's the best he could convince to say yes.

Unless the apologists here want to claim he's THAT bad at identifying talent.

This is the kind of kid they might be able to get. He is an undersized kid for the 2G position who is quick with a good stroke and a crafty ability to finish. Get him in a rotation of Gs including Carrington, Mitchell, Christie, all with good length and then Ortiz. Then if you want to go big you can go JOJ at the 3.... Or dare I say Ihnen or Betts without getting "blanketed with bad weather?" :)

Then get the coach's kid, a defensive big and give one to Ramberg or Reader
If Mitchell, Ortiz, coaches kid and random big is what we add, we're looking at 5-15 or 6-14 in the B1G.

If Mitchell, Ortiz, coaches kid and random big is what we add, we're looking at 5-15 or 6-14 in the B1G.
We really don't know the schedule yet, so hard to predict. If we get the softer teams in the conference multiple times and the better teams only once at home, I could see that being the difference in as many as three or four wins, perhaps. Add in a canceled game against a contender, and that helps, too. I would say any of the options you present mean the end of the current administration and a new hire with a likely interim president. This doesn't look good either way.

We really don't know the schedule yet, so hard to predict. If we get the softer teams in the conference multiple times and the better teams only once at home, I could see that being the difference in as many as three or four wins, perhaps. Add in a canceled game against a contender, and that helps, too. I would say any of the options you present mean the end of the current administration and a new hire with a likely interim president. This doesn't look good either way.
I'll grant you we don't know the schedule. But just looking at the top 8:

Out: Battle, Cooper, Henley, Samuels/Thompson

In: Christie, Mitchell, Ortiz/Ihnen, Fox/Other Big

It's hard to argue the roster changes are much more than a push overall. So you get some improvement from Payne/Garcia/Carington/JOJ and hopefully and that leads to a few more wins. But that still only gets you to 5-6.

Really??

I mean, wildly optimistic is fine I guess, but this is wayyyyy over the top.

It's hard to argue the roster changes are much more than a push overall. So you get some improvement from Payne/Garcia/Carington/JOJ and hopefully and that leads to a few more wins. But that still only gets you to 5-6.
Did I miss something? Did Ortiz commit?

Also you can’t put a number on the wins until you see who the “others” are.

Did I miss something? Did Ortiz commit?

Also you can’t put a number on the wins until you see who the “others” are.
No. Read the post I was responding to. Said sign Ortiz, Coach P's son, a backup big man and we are good to go. I do not agree with that.

But of course that wouldn't be all we are adding. We would also be adding Ihnen, Fox, Betts and Christie as well.

It is entirely possible that next year sucks but it is ok to allow for a little bit of hope that the combination of new faces and returning players can work out. Until we actually see the team on the court I don't really know how anyone can say how good or bad we will be with any certainty given the amount of unknowns.

But of course that wouldn't be all we are adding. We would also be adding Ihnen, Fox, Betts and Christie as well.

It is entirely possible that next year sucks but it is ok to allow for a little bit of hope that the combination of new faces and returning players can work out. Until we actually see the team on the court I don't really know how anyone can say how good or bad we will be with any certainty given the amount of unknowns.
Yes. But Christie is the only one we should be banking on of that group imo.

My point is that we need our next 3 additions to be better than Ortiz, Plietz and random big guy. One of those? Okay. But the other two need to be a couple notches higher.

Mitchell should be better than Cooper. Ortiz would be better than Henley. Anything positive from Fox/Ihnen is improvement over Samuels/Thompson. Losing Battle might hurt but he was pretty underwhelming last year, so maybe Christie/Betts/Transfer wing can fill that void. Team wouldn’t be great, but could maybe sniff 7-9 wins if a lot goes right.

Mitchell should be better than Cooper. Ortiz would be better than Henley. Anything positive from Fox/Ihnen is improvement over Samuels/Thompson. Losing Battle might hurt but he was pretty underwhelming last year, so maybe Christie/Betts/Transfer wing can fill that void. Team wouldn’t be great, but could maybe sniff 7-9 wins if a lot goes right.
Can Ortiz play defense is the biggest question you have to be able to play both ways

Mitchell yes, but it won't be some massive difference. Ortiz? Who knows. He could be Samuels part II. I think losing Battle hurts more than people are convincing themselves.

Mitchell yes, but it won't be some massive difference. Ortiz? Who knows. He could be Samuels part II. I think losing Battle hurts more than people are convincing themselves.
Ortiz could also be a significant upgrade over what we got from Samuels.

As for Battle....he wasn't close to the same player last year as he was in his first year here and he doesn't fit well with Garcia and Payne also on the court. Some combination of Betts, Ihnen and/or a potential transfer will have to replace his offense but he was very hit and miss last year and brought very little on the defensive end of the court.

Someone will have to step up and there is some definite unknown as to who that will be, but the potential is there for an upgrade as well if we can find a 3 that can hit some 3 pointers and play solid defense. His offense won't be easy to replace but it isn't impossible either with all the new pieces we will have next season (with more likely still coming by way of the portal).

It sure seems on the surface that Ortiz is a better player than Samuels. I'd imagine significantly better. Samuels numbers were terrible in the Ivy. The team was terrible too.

N Alabama wasn't great and they are a tiny school but he had decent numbers and the team was better than .500.

Not saying Ortiz is the savior, but if you brought in 4-5 scholarship guys, I'm just fine with him as the 4th-5th guy.

It sure seems on the surface that Ortiz is a better player than Samuels. I'd imagine significantly better. Samuels numbers were terrible in the Ivy. The team was terrible too.

N Alabama wasn't great and they are a tiny school but he had decent numbers and the team was better than .500.

Not saying Ortiz is the savior, but if you brought in 4-5 scholarship guys, I'm just fine with him as the 4th-5th guy.
Depth, depth, depth and more depth

Wait, Ben chose Samuels who wasn’t a good player? I don’t recall many saying he was bad prior to last season. This sucks

Me, on 24/7s Transfer Portal site:
Search for PGs
4-Stars…Taran Armstrong, Caleb Love, about 15-20 others…
3-Stars….Omar Sylvario, Noah Fernandez, about 45 others…
2-Stars…hmmm, no PGs…
No Stars…Jayden Nunn, KJ Jenkins, about 15 others…
No Daniel Ortiz. That can’t be good.
Maybe he’s considered a 6’0” combo guard…nope, not listed there either.
I hope Ben isn’t overlooking the 75+ PGs in the portal and is targeting Ortiz to save his job.

Search for PGs
2-Stars…hmmm, no PGs…
I hope Ben isn’t overlooking the 75+ PGs in the portal and is targeting Ortiz to save his job.
Mike Mitchell is our point guard. He averaged 5 assists per game, good for 2nd in the WCC.

Daniel Ortiz averaged 1 assist per game. Fourth on his own team. He's not a PG. He is a surprisingly good rebounder though, tied for 3rd on his team with 3.8 RPG and had two double digit rebound games. I mostly hope he would be quick enough to defend other guards well.

78% career FT shooter. Sign him up!

Seriously though, he looks like he'd be a solid addition off the bench.

Search for PGs
2-Stars…hmmm, no PGs…
lol...this is such a short sighted way of looking at things. Ben has already gotten a commitment from one of the top PG in the portal and I am sure he is casting a wide net looking for other players as well.

We need guard depth, which is something a guy like Ortiz could provide.

lol...this is such a short sighted way of looking at things. Ben has already gotten a commitment from one of the top PG in the portal and I am sure he is casting a wide net looking for other players as well.

We need guard depth, which is something a guy like Ortiz could provide.
Exactly- it’s a jigsaw 🧩 puzzle

Mike Mitchell is our point guard. He averaged 5 assists per game, good for 2nd in the WCC.

Daniel Ortiz averaged 1 assist per game. Fourth on his own team. He's not a PG. He is a surprisingly good rebounder though, tied for 3rd on his team with 3.8 RPG and had two double digit rebound games. I mostly hope he would be quick enough to defend other guards well.
Hello, we need MORE guards. We also need more THAN ONE guy who can run the point. If Mitchell goes down with an ankle sprain we R F'ed. DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH. If we (Ben) are bringing in 5 guys, at least 3 need to be G's with hopefully 2 that can run the point. We have Mitchell. Need one more that can run the point. Hopefully one more combo to augment Christie and Carrington at the 2/3 along with Ihnen/Betts/JOJ. I'm not terribly excited about those 3 (Ihnen/Betts.JOJ) at the 3. Would prefer a 6'6" ish quick combo G/shooter/wing who can play defense(Christie??) The 4/5 (30 min/gm) seems to be penciled in with Garcia/Payne. Mitchell is penciled in at the PG. We have backups for Payne/Garcia with Garcia/Fox/Ihnen/JOJ/Betts. Of course would like one more 5. But if Mitchell goes down for even one game, who runs the point? If I walked on the court today, here is what I would like to see:
5-Payne
4-Garcia
3-Christie
2-Carrington
PG-Mitchell

Exactly- it’s a jigsaw 🧩 puzzle
I honestly can't imagine just how tough transfer portal recruiting is. High School recruiting is done over an extended period of time where you establish a relationship with the player and their family.

Transfer recruiting is done in a super short window where you have to be able to make contact with a player, setup visits, study film all while battling tons of other schools in the same situation all trying to get the same players. And somehow in all that you have to figure out if a guy is going to be a good fit for your team and style of play.

And while that is going on you also have to make sure nobody is trying to poach your current players.

I honestly can't imagine just how tough transfer portal recruiting is. High School recruiting is done over an extended period of time where you establish a relationship with the player and their family.

Transfer recruiting is done in a super short window where you have to be able to make contact with a player, setup visits, study film all while battling tons of other schools in the same situation all trying to get the same players. And somehow in all that you have to figure out if a guy is going to be a good fit for your team and style of play.

And while that is going on you also have to make sure nobody is trying to poach your current players.
Yuck 🤢

Top Bottom