Gophers in N Alabama transfer Daniel Ortiz top 6

The roster construction is on Johnson but it isn't like they didn't try to land other guards they just didn't pull it off.

Portal recruiting is super competitive, and sometimes it feels like posters think it is just a matter of going out and picking the players you want without factoring in that the players you want are being pursued by a whole bunch of other teams as well.
It’s sMe concept as dating a very attractive woman - she likely has numerous suitors

This is correct, and this did not happen. So the only conclusion is that Battle struggled and the gameplan Ben had for him did not help to alleviate his struggles. I think we agree. Coaches are responsible for struggling players, especially when their only plan of action is to let them play through their struggles without making any other changes.
There were plenty of open looks for Jamison. He just didn't hit those. He also forced a ton of shots, with a hero complex. That's where Ben could have done more - sitting him down for the awful shots he was forcing.

This is correct, and this did not happen. So the only conclusion is that Battle struggled and the gameplan Ben had for him did not help to alleviate his struggles. I think we agree. Coaches are responsible for struggling players, especially when their only plan of action is to let them play through their struggles without making any other changes.
You need to throw out some ideas about how to help a guy who is just not playing well and there is no one on the bench better. I'm guessing Ben thought all this through but maybe you see something he missed.

Ben also deserves some blame (IMO) for not recognizing where to play players. If he really thought Ihnen could play the 2, why wouldn't he have thought Battle should play the 3?

I do agree with you, the biggest issue is the roster construction that forced these horrible lineups. However, I am not convinced Ben realized how poorly constructed the team was until he saw them play. That's a failure in analysis and construction - while those things obviously overlap (you construct based on your analysis), they also are independent issues.
In the portal good teams construct a roster by filling holes with transfers eager to play on said good teams. Very down programs like Minnesota are not attractive to players who would fill out a highly competitive roster.

Johnson can be faulted for not having the stature to overcome "it's Minnesota". But it is silly to suggest he didn't recognize the type of players needed and simply didn't try to land them.

Anybody here can write down 13 names and say that's how the roster should be constructed. Such a list two years ago might have been headed with Marcus Carr and Liam Robbins though neither was staying for any coach.

In the portal good teams construct a roster by filling holes with transfers eager to play on said good teams. Very down programs like Minnesota are not attractive to players who would fill out a highly competitive roster.

Johnson can be faulted for not having the stature to overcome "it's Minnesota". But it is silly to suggest he didn't recognize the type of players needed and simply didn't try to land them.

Anybody here can write down 13 names and say that's how the roster should be constructed. Such a list two years ago might have been headed with Marcus Carr and Liam Robbins though neither was staying for any coach.
This would all be true if my expectations were not reasonable. I was not expecting Ben Johnson to land high profile transfers, I was hoping he'd add some wings at the level of Luke Loewe or EJ Stephens.

The bar is incredibly low, but there is still a bar.

You need to throw out some ideas about how to help a guy who is just not playing well and there is no one on the bench better. I'm guessing Ben thought all this through but maybe you see something he missed.
Yep I will get those over to Ben right away, but he might have blocked my number after last season :D

This would all be true if my expectations were not reasonable. I was not expecting Ben Johnson to land high profile transfers, I was hoping he'd add some wings at the level of Luke Loewe or EJ Stephens.

The bar is incredibly low, but there is still a bar.
You got it right on EJ. This team would have looked a lot different with him on the floor and Sutherlin coming off the bench. Ben did a good job in the portal his first year. Just needed two or three more of the Stephens caliber.

Top Bottom