Gophers in Bilas' list of underrated teams

zipsofakron

Champion of the Sun
Reaction score
Jay Bilas offered up his five most underrated teams and included the Gophers at #4. Not sure that Minnesota can be "underrated" at #9 in the country but I see what he's getting at. I agree with almost everything he says here (I think the Gophers are getting enough attention for now). The article requires an Insider subscription but here is the Gophers blurb:

4. Minnesota Golden Gophers

AP rank: 9 | BPI rank: 7

Tubby Smith had to listen to the naysayers question him all summer, when he has done a terrific job at Minnesota. Smith had to deal with injuries, a suspension or two and a lack of continuity late last season because of those two things. This season everyone is healthy, and the results are clear. The polls are even starting to catch up (No. 9 in the AP), but the Gophers' place on this list is a reflection of just how good they are and how (relatively) little recognition they're getting.

Minnesota has athletic guards, size along the front line and some older players that seem to "get it." Andre Hollins can knock down perimeter shots and get to the free throw line and ring the bell, and with Trevor Mbakwe and the super-athletic Rodney Williams, the Gophers lead the nation in offensive rebound percentage, pulling down nearly half their misses.

The only downside to Minnesota's chances is the high number of second shots the Gophers give up. If Minnesota can clean up the defensive glass, this is an outstanding defensive team that has the pieces to be really good in the Big Ten and beyond.

For reference, the other teams were VCU, Notre Dame, Wichita State and Kentucky.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...jay-bilas-underrated-teams-college-basketball

I'd agree with you zipsofakron, tough to be underrated at 9th in the AP Poll. But hey, I'd like to play the underdog card as long as we can.

Thanks for the Insider info Zip.

Though the Gophers are currently ranked #9, I'm sure there a lot of people around the country that are thinking we haven't defeated anyone(before MSU) and we haven't exactly been known as a basketball powerhouse lately.

Thanks for the Insider info Zip.

Though the Gophers are currently ranked #9, I'm sure there a lot of people around the country that are thinking we haven't defeated anyone(before MSU) and we haven't exactly been known as a basketball powerhouse lately.

Very true, the game against Illinois will be the deciding factor for a lot of people (even though I don't expect Illinois to finish in the Top 25).

But the real question Jay needs to answer is how much swag do the Gophers have?

But the real question Jay needs to answer is how much swag do the Gophers have?

And do the Gophers have "freakish athleticism"?

Bilas is one of the best, but he loses me a little bit when he uses that term.

Jay Bilas offered up his five most underrated teams and included the Gophers at #4. Not sure that Minnesota can be "underrated" at #9 in the country but I see what he's getting at. I agree with almost everything he says here (I think the Gophers are getting enough attention for now). The article requires an Insider subscription but here is the Gophers blurb:

For reference, the other teams were VCU, Notre Dame, Wichita State and Kentucky.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...jay-bilas-underrated-teams-college-basketball

Coming around.....some knew this team is good a long time ago.

The only downside to Minnesota's chances is the high number of second shots the Gophers give up. If Minnesota can clean up the defensive glass, this is an outstanding defensive team that has the pieces to be really good in the Big Ten and beyond.

I and several others have been saying the DEFENSIVE BOARDS really need work to even think of getting to the elite 8 or for that matter BIG championship. Much to the chagrin of other Gopher Holers.

Bilas must have had a change of heart after the State game. In the ESPN rankings he's consistently ranked minny below the panel average. 12-3 Espn rank 13, Bilas 19. 12-10 Espn rank 14, Bilas 19. 12-17 Espn Rank 13, Bilas 20. 12-24 Espn rank 13, Bilas 17. 12-31 Espn rank 10, Bilas 14.

Bilas must have had a change of heart after the State game. In the ESPN rankings he's consistently ranked minny below the panel average. 12-3 Espn rank 13, Bilas 19. 12-10 Espn rank 14, Bilas 19. 12-17 Espn Rank 13, Bilas 20. 12-24 Espn rank 13, Bilas 17. 12-31 Espn rank 10, Bilas 14.

This is funny to consider now that the Gophers are one of his declared underrated teams in his insider article. If I rank Duke at #20 can I declare them to be an underrated team (and take credit for discovering them if they do well in the tournament)??

This is funny to consider now that the Gophers are one of his declared underrated teams in his insider article. If I rank Duke at #20 can I declare them to be an underrated team (and take credit for discovering them If they do well in the tournament)??

Shouldn't have to worry about that! ;)

Can anyone tell me who called Monday's game for espn though? Thanks

Illinois game

Very true, the game against Illinois will be the deciding factor for a lot of people (even though I don't expect Illinois to finish in the Top 25).

Not so much after last night's loss by Illinois to Purdue. Their next game is at Ohio State so I don't think that game will be a deciding factor. In fact I doubt if they will even be in he top 25 coming into the Gopher game.

Top Bottom