Gophers Host St Cloud (10/15/21) and Gophers @ St Cloud (10/16/21)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Highlights from Saturday night's St. Cloud 3-1 victory over Minnesota State. Minnesota State won 1-0 last Friday.

Rumors of at least two injuries in practice for the Gophers. Need to be full strength for any chance of a sweep. Depending on the players now likely hoping for a split.

We are the better team, but I predict a split, and two close games.

We are the better team, but I predict a split, and two close games.
Not sure we know who the best "teams" are yet. Best talent doesn't necessarily mean best team.
Would like to be in Duluth this weekend to watch Mankato, Michigan, Providence and Duluth. If you go by the rankings, 6 of the top 10 teams in the country are playing in Minnesota this weekend. Great for state hockey.

TOs on our offensive side of the ice are the absolute killer for this team

Rumors of at least two injuries in practice for the Gophers. Need to be full strength for any chance of a sweep. Depending on the players now likely hoping for a split.
Who were/are the injured players mentioned? Are they playing tonight? I'm in Ca so hard for me to know what's happening back there. I did see the Gophs just tied it up...

Ick, LaCombe with the killer turnover. And we couldn't seem to get a couple of guys consistently attacking the net. But, hockey games that are played, coached, refereed and broadcast at a two hour pace are fricking fabulous! I hope it continues.

Nail biter going on. 3-3 with about 3 minutes remaining.

Play of the Game by McLaughlin. 4-3 Gophers with Walker scoring the game winner in OT off Blake's pass.

Glad we won, but it was a terrible no-call
3C4DCBDF-3B16-406A-B708-D0EDB6FC9FA0.jpeg

It should have been a penalty. End of story. Time to move on.

A 3-on-3 overtime win is only worth .55 of 1.2 wins. Complicated I know. But the point is the Gophers need a regulation win + OT loss minimum for me to be satisfied this weekend against UMD.

A 3-on-3 overtime win is only worth .55 of 1.2 wins. Complicated I know. But the point is the Gophers need a regulation win + OT loss minimum for me to be satisfied this weekend against UMD.
The play was egregious, the player clearly knew a penalty was coming, and it functionally decided the game. We can be grateful that in hockey it rarely comes down to one game in making tournament decisions, etc. In the end, the Huskies got robbed, but given the larger picture, not much was robbed from them.

For me, it's another example of why they should get rid of that ridiculous 3 on 3 overtime.

For me, it's another example of why they should get rid of that ridiculous 3 on 3 overtime.

3-on-3 is fine relative to a shootout. But it shouldn't be part of non-conference games. It should be:

5 minutes of 5-on-5 - ending in tie is okay
And in conference games:
5 more minutes 3-on-3 to determine the extra point in the standings
if still tied: sudden death shootout

College hockey makes things too complicated...

Have you notified the team of your expectations?

Top Bottom