Gophers Host Badgers (2-25-22 & 2-26-22)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

AGAINST THE BADGERS
In a Border Battle rivalry that dates back to the inaugural season of Gopher Hockey in 1922, Minnesota holds a 176-100-24 all-time record against Wisconsin while the two teams have met 300 times entering the weekend. The Big Ten opponents split a pair of games earlier this season in Madison (a 3-4 overtime loss and a 4-1 win for Minnesota).

SATURDAY IS FOR THE SENIORS
Minnesota will honor the senior class of Ben Brinkman, Grant Cruikshank, Matt Denman, Blake McLaughlin, Sammy Walker and graduate student Sam Rossini following Saturday night's regular-season finale at 3M Arena at Mariucci. The Class of 2022 owns a 79-49-11 record including a mark of 45-18-0 over the last two seasons. Minnesota is 10-1-2 in regular-season home finales since the start of the 2007-08 season.

At the young age of 5 or 6, Gophers forward Grant Cruikshank got a taste of the family business of speedskating and decided it might not be for him.

His mother, Bonnie Blair Cruikshank, is a five-time Olympic gold medalist. His father, Dave Cruikshank, is also a former Olympic speedskater, and his sister, Blair, is an Olympic hopeful.

Grant, though, bailed after getting lined up in a race with mixed age groups competing at the same time.

"He looked at this kid on the starting line who was head and shoulders bigger than him," Bonnie said. "He was like, 'Whoa! I'm not going to skate against THAT guy.' … It was like, 'Forget this. I'm just going to stick with hockey.' "

Domination. Hat trick for Meyers, and Close with first shut out. Great night for our Big Ten leading Golden Gophers!

Control our own destiny. Win tomorrow in regulation and regular season is ours.

Still in play for a 1 seed as well

Night and day difference in this team from first half to second half. I feared that Close would be the nail in the coffin for this team, I hope he keeps me eating my words all the way to Boston.
Love beating the Badgers, let's hang a banner tonight for the seniors.

Yesterday was one of those crazy days when nearly everyone ahead of us in the pairwise/RPI rankings lost - Michigan, Denver and Western Michigan. Only Mankato won, and they had to go to OT.

Night and day difference in this team from first half to second half. I feared that Close would be the nail in the coffin for this team, I hope he keeps me eating my words all the way to Boston.
Love beating the Badgers, let's hang a banner tonight for the seniors.
He had a very nice game, full of confidence, making great saves.

Will be interesting. Michigan plays at 6:00 p.m., Gophers at 7:00 p.m., will Bob have to use that as motivation during the game if his team is struggling a bit or being lackluster? However, we a full house tonight, we should be running on all cylinders.

Will be interesting. Michigan plays at 6:00 p.m., Gophers at 7:00 p.m., will Bob have to use that as motivation during the game if his team is struggling a bit or being lackluster? However, we a full house tonight, we should be running on all cylinders.

Team should come out playing hard regardless. Have to win this game if they want any shot at a 1 seed.

They have plenty of motivation. I think they come out hot and stay that way. Sweep.

They were fun to watch as the clyinders were clearly clicking last night with solid goal tending. Not sure why some teams fall flat for a big game, however.

I've been very hard on the Gopher men's hockey team on this forum. But tonight, I want to thoroughly applaud them for waxing Bucky so thoroughly this weekend. Anytime you stick it to your rivals, it's a good thing. And they certainly did that this weekend.

Also, congrats on winning the Big 10 title! I'm sure there were a few of the returning guys who were a bit salty after letting last year's regular season crown slip away. So for them this must feel really good. Now comes big boy season. Let's see what they're made of.

On another note, it's amazing how putrid a program UW really is. My god, they've been awful for most of the past decade. They had a brief respite last year thanks to Cole Caulfield, but they are truly a terrible program. Have to admit, I kinda chuckle.

Last edited:

What in the heck was this guy thinking that the Gophers could possibly be flat tonight????

It looks like the Badgers are falling apart after the disallowed goal.
Watching the replay of the 2nd game. I agreed with the disallowed goal and you are right. 2-0 in no time. Energy maxed out. Good for the U to be back on top of the conference where they belong.

That's a rivalry...up by 5 in the 3rd and you still press and score. Fun night to be in the crowd.
I was there, first time in attendance in probably 4 yrs. Felt like old times, full crowd into the game, spectacular result against a rival, I picked a perfect game for spontaneous date night with the wife 😉👍🏻

I went to the game on Friday night, first appearance at Mariucci in over 2 years. Good time, fun atmosphere.

Top Bottom