GOPHERS HIRING BEN JOHNSON

Saunders was in way over his head. Team looks 100% better after he was fired. National media is talking about how much more organized Wolves look without Saunders.

As for comparison to Johnson. That’s not fair until we see Ben coach in games. Getting the players is half the battle. Need to do both In order to win big. Maybe Bens a great in game coach. We don’t know yet.

I’m excited to see what Ben can do, but there are questions. Either way. Let’s see what happens. Should be fun.
I don't disagree at all, since Finch took over they seem more disciplined and are playing his system more than when Saunders was coach. I still think Ryan can coach I just don't think he did a great job with the Wolves, to much of a buddy and friend then a coach.

I was at the Dome during the Spring Game in Lou's second season and there were ~35K fans there; I was in 10 grade and felt eutrophic; they even let us on the filed to meet some players, I met Norries Wilson (super cool) and was in awe that a human being could be that large. I was devastated when he went to ND.
Norm Crosby lives!!

We gave Pitino 8 years with a similar resume a chance..it failed...How long will the fan base wait this time?
I am been a huge fan of the Gopher football team since 1960 and they have been breaking my heart pretty much ever since. I have been waiting for another Big 10 football Championship since 1967. I don't think it's ever going to happen for me. That's ok - I'll still be going to all the games and watching the practices when I can because they are my college football team and will be right to the end. I used to love the Viking in the same way but I lost interest in them awhile back for a variety of reasons. That will never happen with the Gophers.

I was at the Dome during the Spring Game in Lou's second season and there were ~35K fans there; I was in 10 grade and felt eutrophic; they even let us on the filed to meet some players, I met Norries Wilson (super cool) and was in awe that a human being could be that large. I was devastated when he went to ND.
Wet, fertile, and weedy?!?

Then why didn't Coyle go after Shaka Smart? Sounds like they want him out in Austin.

Probably because Smart was they guy that Norwood had lined-up for the job. Then when Shaka said no, they ended-up with Pitino.

Nobody who worked for the U then would give Smart the time of day now. Can't blame them either.

A name to consider for assistant: Saul Phillips. Currently HC at Northern State. Previously of NDSU and Ohio U. Had NSU in the top 5 of DII all year.

Bonus: PF Parker Fox is in the transfer portal and I assume would have two years left.

There is no one stupid enough to honestly believe that wasn't ONE of the reasons. You are not being honest. I for one am going to get fully behind Johnson, but there is not one thing wrong with pointing out the truth. His resume simply does not cut it. But he has a reputation as a really good human being, a local and a good recruiter so that's a start.
I would like nothing more than for him to be a huge success here.

He was cheap to hire.
He's local.
He's black.
He is well thought of in local basketball circles.
He is a smart guy who knows basketball.
He has good local relationships and is likable.

Those are the reasons he was hired. If he was missing the 3rd item - his chances of being hired were far less.

That is all. Ben Johnson is our man. Go Gophers and Ben Johnson! Now go out and have a huge spring bringing in talent! The transfer market is huge.
Sure. I believe all the other things trump hes black

If coyle felt he could've got muss or other home run white guy, he would've.

Mn gets hammered for losing local kids, so he hired a guy highly respected by local basketball community

I am been a huge fan of the Gopher football team since 1960 and they have been breaking my heart pretty much ever since. I have been waiting for another Big 10 football Championship since 1967. I don't think it's ever going to happen for me. That's ok - I'll still be going to all the games and watching the practices when I can because they are my college football team and will be right to the end. I used to love the Viking in the same way but I lost interest in them awhile back for a variety of reasons. That will never happen with the Gophers.
That's great...You are in the minority...The loyal fanbase has been dwindling over the years and Ben Johnson will not get the casual fan excited to purchase a ticket.

I've already told you that people like you can't guilt me into thinking reality doesn't exist.
Oh, it exists no matter how much you want to deny it

Not trying guilt you into anything.

He was an assistant here for five years. Coyle knows him personally.

Got any actual "facts" or did you hit your head and forget what the word meant?

It's called research. Use google for once in your life and maybe you'll know to do you homework first

Oh, it exists no matter how much you want to deny it

Not trying guilt you into anything.
You don't even believe the things you are typing.

How have I denied reality once in this conversation? Just one example.

Sure. I believe all the other things trump hes black

If coyle felt he could've got muss or other home run white guy, he would've.

Mn gets hammered for losing local kids, so he hired a guy highly respected by local basketball community
With no head coaching experience.

It's called research. Use google for once in your life and maybe you'll know to do you homework first

So it isn't a "fact" that he was hired because he was black....which you claim.

You can go back to eating asbestos now.

Ben's wikipedia page looks like it may have just been created today. Lol.

That's great...You are in the minority...The loyal fanbase has been dwindling over the years and Ben Johnson will not get the casual fan excited to purchase a ticket.
That doesn't say much about the loyal Gopher fanbase does it? Countless Chicago Cub fans loved them all their lives and never lived long enough to watch them win the World Serious. That's what a loyal fanbase is and does.

You don't even believe the things you are typing.

How have I denied reality once in this conversation? Just one example.
Your statement he has no resume is bullshit.

People saying he's only hired due being black is an insult

As I said, calling it as I see it. Have a good one

With no head coaching experience.
Yup.

Coyle taking risk and banking on his local connections. I have no idea if it'll work, but he's got my full support.

I have no issue with people concerned by lack of experience

I have issue with saying he's an unqualified diversity hire.

Those are two separate items

Fair question. The sad reality is that there is no reason to hold on to tickets when you can cherry pick games and pay half the price because half the decking crowd is less interested than before. I’ll probably keep and aggressively call it a donation and get some valuable social time.
See if u can get a charity tax write-off.

Top Bottom