Gophers hired Glen Mason 25 years ago today with a salary of $140,000 per year plus incentives

Now do Ohio State from 2017-2021
Not sure what you are looking for. Fleck has only played tOSU 2 times as MN coach. Fleck has had a bit of an easier B1G schedule than Mason had in his years.

During Mason's years 8 different teams won the B1G and MN wasn't one of them, so he underachieved when their was more parity. Fleck hasn't won the West division yet having avoided some of the East's best teams.

Not sure what you are looking for. Fleck has only played tOSU 2 times as MN coach. Fleck has had a bit of an easier B1G schedule than Mason had in his years.

During Mason's years 8 different teams won the B1G and MN wasn't one of them, so he underachieved when their was more parity. Fleck hasn't won the West division yet having avoided some of the East's best teams.

Not really related to Mason vs Fleck comparisons but as far as "times not being the same" goes.

I have this theory that teams in the bottom half of CFB teams are now WAY better than they used to be in the Mason era when Mason played his non conference schedule ... we'd face a tougher time playing against a team of marshmallows compared to some of those non conference opponents. It was just our team pushing the other team over ... just physically. Now I don't see that much anymore ... from almost any P5 team.

Coaching, players, etc on those 'lesser' non conference pay day games just seem way stronger, more dynamic now.

Last edited:

good coach, but had an awful recruiting philosophy.

He said something along the lines on Barreiro the other day that if his scouts found a guy who was 6'4 and 300 lbs and could play offensive line great, he would tell them to go find someone else, because they werent going to get a guy with the size and ability to play for them, said he would ask for the scouts instead to find someone smaller who could play, because then he wouldn't have to compete against as many schools. Some may call that being a realist, I call it defeatist.
I heard that interview and did not take his comment that way. What I heard was more specific to his Kansas days, but still relevant to Minnesota. He was saying if a guy had all the measurables and was a good player, he was probably going to be recruited by bigger schools and would likely go there. The only way they were realistically going to get a guy with all the measurables was if he wasn't a good player. So instead of chasing the measurables go find good players who may be a little short or a little slower. He prioritized good football players over measurables.

I’m not sure I agree Mason had a harder schedule.
For instance, masons best team in 2003 and 1999

2003 Mason beat 0 teams in the top 4 of the conference because they went 0-2 and missed the other 2

1999 masons beat 1 team in the top 4 and went 1-1 because they missed the other 2

Last edited:

Maturi was odd.
matt-foley.jpg

Not only did he sign for $140k, he was poached from another P5 program for it. And of course he rejected Georgia the year before. Wonder what $$ was like at KU and UGA then

Not only did he sign for $140k, he was poached from another P5 program for it. And of course he rejected Georgia the year before. Wonder what $$ was like at KU and UGA then
Just think about that in today's perspective. A coach turning down Georgia...to stay at Kansas.

This article indicates that Glen got a $500,000 per year starting salary.

Or am I misreading something?

This is Matt Campbell today.
I think of Campbell more along the lines of Chris Pedersen staying at Boise State all those years.
He wants/wanted to stay in the same part of the country.

I was more thinking about the fact that UGA is (arguably) the best team in the country and well... Kansas has a good basketball program.

Mason didn't have Maryland, Rutgers, and Nebraska on his schedule. He played 8 of the 11 teams every year. I agree we are headed in a good direction with Fleck. Really solid foundation to sustain competitiveness.

If you look at our non-conference schedules under Mason, there are few who would try and argue that many of those teams were actually better than Maryland, Rutgers or Nebraska. From memory, nearly certain the only two P5 opponents we played in non-conference under Mase were Cal and Baylor (long before Baylor was like they are the past decade).

Also, your point loses some steam with the fact that Maryland and Rutgers are not yearly parts of the Gophers' schedule and Nebraska has been a respectable P5 program until the last couple years. All that said, 2021 Nebraska would have beaten most of the non-con cupcakes Mase loaded his schedules with 8 times out of 10.

Under Mase, we would nearly always win 4 easy games to start the year and - I remember this clearly - go into the Big Ten season still not having any clear idea how we were going to actually fare in conference.

If you look at our non-conference schedules under Mason, there are few who would try and argue that many of those teams were actually better than Maryland, Rutgers or Nebraska. From memory, nearly certain the only two P5 opponents we played in non-conference under Mase were Cal and Baylor (long before Baylor was like they are the past decade).

Also, your point loses some steam with the fact that Maryland and Rutgers are not yearly parts of the Gophers' schedule and Nebraska has been a respectable P5 program until the last couple years. All that said, 2021 Nebraska would have beaten most of the non-con cupcakes Mase loaded his schedules with 8 times out of 10.

Under Mase, we would nearly always win 4 easy games to start the year and - I remember this clearly - go into the Big Ten season still not having any clear idea how we were going to actually fare in conference.
Yeah. And to top it off, the Mason gophers missed 2 big ten teams per year. Half the time they were teams in the top half of the conference.

good coach, but had an awful recruiting philosophy.

He said something along the lines on Barreiro the other day that if his scouts found a guy who was 6'4 and 300 lbs and could play offensive line great, he would tell them to go find someone else, because they werent going to get a guy with the size and ability to play for them, said he would ask for the scouts instead to find someone smaller who could play, because then he wouldn't have to compete against as many schools. Some may call that being a realist, I call it defeatist.
He seemed to do pretty OK with OL. His offense was built for mobile, strong, athletic OL, and back then most linemen that size were not.

Top Bottom