Gophers Heading to WCHA Final Five After Sweep of Beavers

Twynntown

Reaction score
The Gophers and Bemidji State met tonight in game two of their best of three series at Mariucci Arena. The 9,997 in attendance saw Minnesota come from behind against a pesky Beaver squad, to squeak out the win on a Ben Marshall goal with :52 left in the game.

Here are the post game comments:

Minnesota Head Coach Don Lucia:

Regarding Bemidji State… "First, I want to congratulate Bemidji, how well they played, and their coaches. There's so much pride in that program. For years and years, a lot of winning hockey. They're three and three in the playoffs coming into this weekend in the WCHA. We knew it was going to be a difficult draw, especially playing them four straight. They don't beat themselves, and their commit level from start to finish this week made us work for everything we were going to get this weekend. So, credit to them and how well they played"

Regarding the game… "They found a way. I thought we got better as the game went on tonight. We made it 2-1, and you think 'OK, we got a goal', and then they scored right away. We made a couple of blunders there. I thought the goal to make it 3-2 was obviously a huge goal, in the third period. Walsh (BSU Goalie) had played well all weekend long. We talked about getting pucks on pads from distance when shooting, and that's what happened with the third goal. I think it was Erik (Haula) who shot it, and then AJ (Michaelson) came off a line change and made a nice play by collecting the rebound and getting it by the goaltender and into the open net. And obviously Marsh (Ben Marshall) in the last minute made that great play. I thought this weekend was great for us, because we told our guys going in that Bemidji plays a playoff style. They play close to the vest, and they don't beat themselves. Goaltender played well, and they scored on the power play. When they got to three, I was worried that, OK, we might be in trouble here tonight. But, it was good for us to have to saw our way back, and to have to fight for everything all weekend long. I'm fine with how we played all weekend. You look around the league, there's already two game three's. I'm glad I can go to mass tomorrow, and not worry about looking at film. It was a good day for Gopher hockey. Congratulations to our women. End of the third overtime to get to the Frozen Four again, so good for them"

Regarding getting goals from secondary scorers… "A lot of times your top end guys get neutralized this time of year in games. AJ (Michaelson) is getting better. He's had a much better second half than first half. It was good"

Regarding this game being the last WCHA game at Mariucci Arena… "You know what, during the game, I wasn't thinking about it. Not until now does it sink in that that's the last WCHA game here, so it might as well be a classic one"

Erik Haula:

Regarding the game… "I think we played a good forty minute game. I think we could have played a better first period, but we bounced back and found a way. We knew that we could do better. We just needed a little spark, and I think that power play was good. It really got the team and the crowd going. That's where it started. I mean, there was a mistake, their third goal. But then we just had that confidence going into the third"

Regarding AJ Michaelson… "I'm really happy for AJ. He's had a tough time trying to get in the lineup. He's been really good lately, and he got rewarded"

Regarding the comeback… "We had that peeper, and we tried to get some momentum, and tried to make some plays. We got a bounce on AJ's goal, and then Marsh (Ben Marshall) made a nice backhand shot five-hole, so that's good"

Regarding the play of his line… "I think we had a lot of chances yesterday, and we just couldn't buy one. Getting a couple in today is good for our line's confidence. It doesn't really matter how it goes in, or off Condon's shin pads, I don't really care. It went in, and I think it was a big goal, so I'm happy with it"

Ben Marshall:

Regarding the game… "Yup, that was a fun one. They (BSU) control the puck, wait for us to make mistakes, and they capitalize on them. Last night they had ten shots and a goal. So, that's their style of play. I give them a lot of credit, they played really hard this weekend, gave us a real test, and bettered us for the rest of the year. That's part of hockey, you've gotta be able to bounce back when things aren't going your way"

Regarding his goal… "I picked the puck up in the neutral zone, and wheeled down the right side wall. It's usually where I go when I rush the puck up. And to be honest, I just beat that first defenseman's stick and just put it on net. Maybe go far pad, and try to get a rebound, and fortunately it went in. Tip your hat to him (BSU's Goaltender Walsh), he played unbelievable this weekend. You just throw a bouncer like that. I feel like, for how many shots we had this weekend, one of those had to go in"

The Gophers will participate in the WCHA Final Five next weekend, with the other participants still to be determined.

Top Bottom