Gophers have a new commit ? Bryant Allen

Blizzard

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned - Who is this ?

Two-sport athlete picks Minnesota: Bryant Allen, a 6-foot, 160-pound football wide receiver and basketball guard from Maplewood (Mo.) High, orally committed to play both football and basketball at the University of Minnesota on Thursday.

Allen, who visited KU last Sunday, chose the Gophers over KU, Missouri and Iowa. He will be on football scholarship at Minnesota, but also will play basketball for Tubby Smith’s Gophers.

I haven't seen this mentioned - Who is this ?

It's been a big talk of conversation over on the Football board, here are a few links on him so you can learn a little more about him. He just had a press conference last night to announce his commitment:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/a910dc7b426b7ad286257524000f3a3c?OpenDocument

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=822743

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=887

Nice

If the Gophers have found a quality back up point guard who can come in and give Nolen, Joseph, and Cobbs a breather in games and solid competition in practice, without costing the basketball team a scholarship, great!

It seems that you hear of many guys who have the football/basketball plan when arriving on campuses, but very few times does it evolve into a standout in both sports (off the top of my head I'm thinking Tony Gonzalez at Cal and Julius Peppers at UNC). The time commitment to one sport and to school is too significant, but if Allen can find a way to balance both sports and the books, that would be awesome. From just looking at his stats, it appears he has some pretty solid talent on the basketball court.

It's been a big talk of conversation over on the Football board.

I guess I should visit the football board now and again. :)

If he can do it more power to him ! I take it walking on the basketball team was probably conditional to his signing for football ?

So the football teams goes to a bowl game. Allen wouldn't be able to practice much until the BT season starts. Unless he is a super hoops talent, he will struggle to see the floor.

Charlie Ward

If the Gophers have found a quality back up point guard who can come in and give Nolen, Joseph, and Cobbs a breather in games and solid competition in practice, without costing the basketball team a scholarship, great!

It seems that you hear of many guys who have the football/basketball plan when arriving on campuses, but very few times does it evolve into a standout in both sports (off the top of my head I'm thinking Tony Gonzalez at Cal and Julius Peppers at UNC). The time commitment to one sport and to school is too significant, but if Allen can find a way to balance both sports and the books, that would be awesome. From just looking at his stats, it appears he has some pretty solid talent on the basketball court.

Charlie Ward at Florida St. is more what I am hoping for....

Charlie Ward at Florida St. is more what I am hoping for....

Who wouldn't want a Heisman Trophy winning, 11 year NBA veteran and MLB draftee?! Charlie Ward is hardly a second place prize.

But let's be realistic, we hear these dual-sport rumors almost every year (Rucker, Pedescleaux, etc.) and rarely if ever does it materialize. We get all excited because Tubby meets with XYZ player, but let's be honest...he's likley only doing that to assist Brewster because Brew knows that Mangino had Allen meet with Self, etc.

When push comes to shove, Brew will want Allen dedicated entirely to football and Allen will quickly realize that he'll need to devote 100% attention to football to keep his spot in the depth chart.

That being said, I sure would love to be wrong as I imagine we could find room in Dinkytown for a Heisman Trophy winning, 11-year NBA playing, MLB draftee wearing maroon and gold!

Go Gophers!!

Earlier this year, Tubby said he'd like to increase the number of walk-ons so there's greater numbers for practice, etc.

At the same time, I recall that John Nance wanted to play both BB and FB and has (apparently) opted to not play BB.

If we're going into the football ranks let see if we can suit this kid up !

The University of Minnesota football team received its first official midyear signing today with Lackawanna College (Scranton, Pa.) offensive tackle Jeffrey Wills inking his letter of intent to play for the Gophers next season.

Wills, a 6-foot-7, 365-pound sophomore from Laurelton, N.Y

6 am Practice Times

Might be the biggest hurdle for any non-scholarship walk on.

Top Bottom