Gophers hand Nebraska first B1G win of season 78-65

Like I said going into the game...really difficult game to win as a coach. Your players have had some success, they "think" they are pretty good. They don't realize any more ( they did to begin the conference) but the only way they can win is to play much harder than the other team and not turn the ball over. Nobody can have an off night.

I promise they did not hear the coaches tell them this was Nebraska's super bowl and we needed our best game to win. No player believed that going in. They thought they'd show up and win. They know now they needed more than that.

Our effort and performance was pretty ugly. But it wasn't surprising under the circumstances.
You can add that the Gophers have never won in this arena if you think it's all excuses. Just sports when your team doesn't have a lot of talent and has some success. They forget the how and think they've arrived.

Like I said going into the game...really difficult game to win as a coach. Your players have had some success, they "think" they are pretty good. They don't realize any more ( they did to begin the conference) but the only way they can win is to play much harder than the other team and not turn the ball over. Nobody can have an off night.

I promise they did not hear the coaches tell them this was Nebraska's super bowl and we needed our best game to win. No player believed that going in. They thought they'd show up and win. They know now they needed more than that.

Our effort and performance was pretty ugly.
This
But it wasn't surprising under the circumstances.
You can add that the Gophers have never won in this arena if you think it's all excuses. Just sports when your team doesn't have a lot of talent and has some success. They forget the how and think they've arrived.
2-9 is enough success to get them over confident?

This

2-9 is enough success to get them over confident?
Abso frickening lutely!!! I have been here. How many Gophers do you think believe they are going to play in the NBA? Kids are delusional about their abilities. You gotta pump em up to get them confident. Then they know it all and don't listen. Until they get hammered. Then you gotta pump up again and remind of the formula they won with.

Or I could just state it was pretty obvious....No intensity, no effort, no focus, no heart.

You can overcome some of this with talent. We don't have nearly enough for that to happen.

Last edited:

Abso frickening lutely!!! I have been here. How many Gophers do you think believe they are going to play in the NBA? Kids are delusional about their abilities. You gotta pump em up to get them confident. Then they know it all and don't listen. Until they get hammered. Then you gotta pump up again and remind of the formula they won with.

Or I could just state it was pretty obvious....No intensity, no effort, no focus, no heart.

You can overcome some of this with talent. We don't have nearly enough for that to happen.
Lol if any guy is “overconfident” that this team is “better” than anyone else, that is directly contrary to the message Ben has been sending all year. The guys played like garbage, but it wasn’t because they were overconfident. It’s because they played like shit. It’s in Ben to figure out why and correct it, but it’s not because they walked in thinking they were better Nebraska and just had to show up

Nebraska played Tenacious D and Nebraska got to the rim (and missed a ton of layups) when they had the ball.

Lol if any guy is “overconfident” that this team is “better” than anyone else, that is directly contrary to the message Ben has been sending all year. The guys played like garbage, but it wasn’t because they were overconfident. It’s because they played like shit. It’s in Ben to figure out why and correct it, but it’s not because they walked in thinking they were better Nebraska and just had to show up
And you know that to be true because? What do you think was the reason they played a winless team like they we sleep walking? I mean if you believe they listened to Ben's message?

This roster is ALL GRIT. So what you said is impossible.

If a 2-9 conference record was enough to make these kids cocky going into last night, delusions of grandeur are very much alive within the program.

And you know that to be true because? What do you think was the reason they played a winless team like they we sleep walking? I mean if you believe they listened to Ben's message?
because teams play bad? guys have off nights? guys press too much and play outside their game/try to do too much? guys lose focus at inopportune moments? sometimes guys just don't have their "get up"?

If you've played sports, you know there are nights where your team just collectively is "off". Been there and it sucks (and it happens even when your team is mediocre where you play a more off night). It doesn't mean they think they're NBA talents and "better" than Nebraska. Your comments just feel very out of touch for who this team has been all year.

Probably the first game of season where I was disappointed with the result, these games happen to good teams, but frustrating knowing wins will be hard to come by and let chance slip vs a bad Nebraska team

OF course, Nebraska would say same if they lost to a bad MN team

Moving on

Probably the first game of season where I was disappointed with the result, these games happen to good teams, but frustrating knowing wins will be hard to come by and let chance slip vs a bad Nebraska team

OF course, Nebraska would say same if they lost to a bad MN team

Moving on
Same. Very disappointing.

Yeah, tough to watch, they all seems out of sorts for most of the game. On to Saturday.

Our effort and performance was pretty ugly. But it wasn't surprising under the circumstances.
I highly doubt they thought they'd show up and win.

With some posters opinions that its unacceptable to have an off night…makes one wonder how many have played sports at a high level.

Someone name me a college or pro sports franchise that has never had an off night or been upset. 😂

With some posters opinions that its unacceptable to have an off night…makes one wonder how many have played sports at a high level.

Someone name me a college or pro sports franchise that has never had an off night or been upset. 😂
Everyone has a different eye. My eye saw a Nebraska team disrupt an inferior Gopher system/team. They pressured/overplayed our perimeter guys and we succumbed to it. Also, they somehow shut down Willis and Battle effectively. I wouldn't call it an off night as much as a whooping. Just my take.

My eyes saw no defense, no offense, no coaching, no win

It was so evident that Nebraska came to play and the Gophers didn't I change channels when the score was Neb 17 MN 6.

Top Bottom