Gophers get Transfer DB from Miami (OH) Rowan Zolman

3 years of eligibility, decided to transfer after his first season with Miami (OH).

Probably a depth guy (for now). From the Miami team page:

2022 Highlights:
  • Saw action in nine games, making one start
  • Finished season with six tackles and an interception
  • Made first career start versus Western Michigan
  • Had two tackles against Kent State and Akron
  • Recorded first career interception versus UAB in the Bahamas Bowl
High School

• Attended East Noble High School
  • Three-time team captain
  • Earned all-state honors as a senior, finishing the season with 24 catches for 540 yards and five touchdowns
  • Defensively he led the team with 91 tackles and added two forced fumbles and an interception

Listed as a safety out of HS. Played some as a freshman last year.

According to Ryan Burns, he will probably get a look at LB. Seems to have a frame to add weight. Transfer offers from Ohio and UConn after being in the portal for just over a week.

“Good player, we didn’t want to lose him. Has unbelievably high ceiling to be an NFL Linebacker. Played a lot of snaps on Special teams as a true freshman. Long, great athlete, great ball skills”

From an inside source at the Real Miami

Always amazing how players get taller and shorter throughout their careers. :)
And somehow get a couple tenths of a second slower between high school and the NFL Combine

Looks like a LB depth and/or development prospect. Perhaps at the Jack Henderson nickel position, which is a LB/CB hybrid where length helps.

Somehow think we take another more prototypical CB prospect, if PJ finds one who is experienced and talented … and can rope him in. Which is tough. Small universe with lots of competition for true talent.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him line up as our big nickel or fully convert to LB. LBer would make a lot of sense with some our upperclassmen moving on.

I think he plays this season. We lost a lot of players in our 2 deep who may have been pushed on the depth chart. I am comfortable with their replacements on defense but there might be a little bit of a whole on special teams.

In honor of this momentous transfer, I asked AI to create this memento of our newest Gopher rowan his way to Minnesota. May great fortune shine upon him!

DALL·E 2023-04-25 15.25.20 - zoltar machine with boat oars digital art.png

I wouldn't be shocked to see him line up as our big nickel or fully convert to LB. LBer would make a lot of sense with some our upperclassmen moving on.

I think he plays this season. We lost a lot of players in our 2 deep who may have been pushed on the depth chart. I am comfortable with their replacements on defense but there might be a little bit of a whole on special teams.
According to a post earlier in this thread he saw a lot of snaps on special teams for Miami OH last year so wouldn't be shocking to see him come in right away and do that here as well. will be interesting to see how he factors into their plans.

Always amazing how players get taller and shorter throughout their careers. :)
I was 5'10" during my senior season of HS basketball and as soon as the season ended, I went down to 5'8". Weirdest thing. It's like I stretched just for basketball.

Guessing he will be in that Donald Willis type hybrid linebacker/safety role to cover tight ends on passing downs at that size.

Similar size to Maverick Baranowski and Joey Gerlach. Should be a versatile player on defense. Plug and play immediately on special teams, or looks like he still can red shirt if they want him to develop more.

Of course i'll be pulling for him, but it feels like we're just grasping at straws to fill holes on defense at this point. We really got nailed by the portal on D. Brace yourselves for a DT transfer from another rando MAC school.

Of course i'll be pulling for him, but it feels like we're just grasping at straws to fill holes on defense at this point. We really got nailed by the portal on D. Brace yourselves for a DT transfer from another rando MAC school.
I would think they like this kid a lot considering he has 4 years to play 3. He's on scholarship for quite a few years. That's not grasping at straws from my perspective but we'll see.

Hard to say we're filling a hole in the defense when there is very little chance this guy starts.

I’m not sure how much there is in the way of picking there is in 4 months before season starts.

Top Bottom