Gophers game scores EXCLUDING the last 7:30 of 4th Quarter

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
At 7 1/2 minutes left of the 4th quarter (halfway through the quarter) the Gophers led EIU 35-0
At 7 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter of the MTSU game, the Gophers led 28-10

That's 63-10 through almost 90% of the first two games before the second string (and maybe the 3rd string) players entered the game. I think the "2nd half letdown" is getting more press/discussion than the lopsided scores that we were experiencing for the vast majority of the first two games.

At 7 1/2 minutes left of the 4th quarter (halfway through the quarter) the Gophers led EIU 35-0
At 7 1/2 minutes left in the 4th quarter of the MTSU game, the Gophers led 28-10

That's 63-10 through almost 90% of the first two games before the second string (and maybe the 3rd string) players entered the game. I think the "2nd half letdown" is getting more press/discussion than the lopsided scores that we were experiencing for the vast majority of the first two games.

You can pin the late letdown against EI on the backups. You can't pin the second half collapse against MTSU on the backups. On top of that even if it is against the backups that is not a good thing because those are the guys you need to count on when the starters get injured or tired, they are also the future of the program.

Now, if we can only get the NCAA to reduce the game time to 52 1/2 minutes a game, we'd be sittin' pretty. :cool02:

Still, the OP brings up a good point. We have built leads amounting to 63-10. That's a good thing.
I would much rather have this problem then the opposite. We seem to have broken the Kill "slow start" thing.

I heard very little if any discussion of a 2nd half meltdown vs EIU. There was talk of it after the MTSU game, and I think rightfully so. That was a disappointing effort in the 2nd half, even though the game was well in hand, I think most people hoped to see a little more with TCU on deck.

Still, the OP brings up a good point. We have built leads amounting to 63-10. That's a good thing.
I would much rather have this problem then the opposite. We seem to have broken the Kill "slow start" thing.

Not really. We didn't pull away from EI until the third quarter so MTSU was really the only fast start of the 2, it was a thing of beauty though and hopefully something that becomes a trend. And yeah building a big lead is a great trend but as Gopher fans that have all witnessed some epic late game meltdowns I don't think any of us want to see this team get in the habit of getting up early and then hanging on for dear life in the later portions of the game.

Agree with the spirit of this thread. I get that we've looked far from perfect and have plenty to build and improve on. The D-line really concerns me. The QB play is a question mark. However, the fact remains that we've outscored opponents by a combined 63-0 before they even get on the board. All in all, a reasonably impressive first two weeks in a lot of ways.

If only games were 52:50....
-We'd have played USC in the 2004 Rose Bowl
-Laurence Maroney's 250+ yard performance against the Badgers in 2005 would have resulted in holding the ax
-Glen Mason might still be the coach

All kidding aside, I do get the premise of the thread.......the fans have pretty much looked only at the negatives, when there are definitely some positives that people are missing.

TCU should be an interesting game. The Big Ten season should be interesting. ENJOY THE SEASON!

I was at the 2003 Michigan game, the 2005 Wisconsin game and the 2006 Texas Tech game. As the OP of his thred, I should have thought a little bit more about those games before getting too excited abut building big lead. Thanks for the reminder - I guess :(

Top Bottom