Gophers Game Preview: San Jose State at Minnesota - Fales Will Test U Secondary

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers Game Preview: San Jose State at Minnesota - Fales Will Test U Secondary
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/287014?referrer_id=388419

San Jose State (1-1 overall, 0-0 Mountain West) vs. Minnesota (3-0 overall, 0-0 Big Ten)
Minneapolis, Minnesota – TCF Bank Stadium
Saturday 11:00 a.m. CT – ESPN 2

PREGAME NOTES

Series History

The Spartans are an even 1-1 in the all-time series with the Gophers. The last meeting between the two teams came in 1992 with San Jose State walking out of Minneapolis with a 39-30 victory.

Last Time Out

San Jose State was no match for No. 5 Stanford, losing to the Cardinal 34-13. Stanford scored points on its first three possessions while racking up 197 yards rushing. The Cardinal defense sacked SJSU quarterback David Fales four times and held the Spartans’ offense to just 35 yards rushing.

Bye Week Advantage

The Spartans will have plenty of time to prepare for the Gophers. San Jose State is coming off a bye week, last playing on September 7 against Stanford. The extra practice time could be the difference-maker for the visiting squad.

“Early in the season, it’s just like Western Illinois came out and in twins-open; they haven’t shown that all year,” said Jerry Kill. “You give a team two weeks to prepare they’re going to have some stuff you haven’t seen defensively or offensively. It definitely is an advantage for them.”

Coaching Preview

Ron Caragher is in his first season as head coach for the Spartans. Prior to arriving at San Jose State, Caragher lead the University of San Diego to a 44-22 record and three Pioneer Football League co-championships during his tenure. The former UCLA quarterback began his career as a graduate assistant before working as an assistant for the Bruins from 1996-2002.

Explosive Offense

The Spartans will bring a highly-talented group of skill players to Minneapolis this weekend. Led by quarterback David Fales, San Jose State has the potential to put points up early if the Gopher defense stumbles to start the game.

“They do a good job with they’re personnel groupings and they keep you off balance,” said Kill. “I’ve had several scouts come through and feel like [Fales] is a first-round draft choice and we’ve watched him all summer long. I just think he’s a great football player. He makes their team go. They’ve got great receivers that he has great chemistry with and it’s very concerning from a defensive standpoint on how to slow them down.”

Jerry Kill and the Gophers will look to control the ball, keeping it out of the hands of Fales and the Spartans.

“We’re going to certainly try and stay on the field as much as we can and I think that’s a key to the game is keeping that offense on the sideline,” said Kill. “[When] that quarterback’s on the field, it’s going to make us awfully nervous so the more that we can control the football and stay on the field as an offensive unit, the less time their offense is out there. I think that’s a real big key to the game. It’ll be a great matchup and I think both teams understand what they need to do.”

Matchup to Watch

With Fales leading a talented group of Spartan wide receivers, San Jose State’s passing game will certainly be a handful for Minnesota’s defensive backs. The Gophers’ secondary could face one of their biggest tests of the season this Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

“I think we get it ratcheted up this weekend,” said Kill. “I think there’s no question we’ll find out where we’re at with San Jose State. As far as throwing the football and from and offensive side of the ball and the weapons they have, it’s very similar to what we faced against Syracuse a year ago. We’ll get a taste of where we’re at on Saturday. We’ll know before we get into the Big Ten, where we’re at with the secondary and where we’re at on the defensive side of the ball.”

Player to Watch

#31 Keith Smith – The 6-foot-1, 229-pound senior has been a focal point of the Spartans’ defense since his freshman season. The three-time All-WAC linebacker has played in 37 games over his career. He’s totaled over 300 career tackles including 14 games with 10 or more tackles. Smith shares the national lead in tackles with 30 in just two games.

Background
Enrollment: 25,109
Conference: Mountain West
Mascot: Spartans
Colors: Gold, Blue, and White
Coach: Ron Caragher (First Season)

They have switch from the Pistol to West Coast, putting Fales under center. He is 6'1 and his completion ratio, yards per pass, and QB rating are down this year compared to last. Also the defense is 3-4 where as last year 4-3. This kind of move is either an attempt to get more coverage for the passing in their league, or the have a heck of nose tackle. I think it is the former. We need to be able to run the ball against the 3-4, move the chains, control the clock. Something I think we can do.

I think SJSU will lead at halftime and by 5 minutes left in the 4th, it will be either tied or one team up by less than 7. Should go down to the wire.

FSN: Gophers five things: Tale of two quarterback situations

5. Another 4-0 start?

Minnesota has the chance to start its season 4-0 for the second time in as many years. After last year's 4-0 start, though, the Gophers won just two more games the rest of the regular season to sneak into a bowl game. Earning win No. 4 on the year won't come easy for Jerry Kill's team, as San Jose State is coming off of an 11-1 season and a bowl game win against Bowling Green.

The Gophers' Big Ten schedule is daunting after next week's conference opener against Iowa, so taking care of the non-conference games is important. Don't expect Saturday's game to be a rout for Minnesota, however. In fact, some pundits are predicting that San Jose State will steal this game at TCF Bank Stadium. Either way, it should be a close one between the Gophers and Spartans.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...le-of-two-quarterb?blockID=942227&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

What is the view like from section 139 at tcf? I am also wondering how many rows does section 139 have? I think the Gophers d-line is the difference maker in this game it will be a close game but The Gophers pull it out. SKI-U-Mah

Top Bottom