Gophers football success makes P.J. Fleck a hot commodity on college coaching market

Fleck leaves...it will deflate this program (players and fans). The only coach replacement that will make us maybe forget PJ is Tony Dungy. No other replacements will generate much excitement.

Oh man, this is good stuff!

I think MN is going to have to pony up to keep him to the tune of 5.5 million per year...

Here's the definition:
All revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes revenues from appearance guarantees and options, contributions from alumni and others, institutional royalties, signage and other sponsorships, sport camps, state or other government support, student activity fees, ticket and luxury box sales, and any other revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities.

Private schools don’t have to publish salaries of employees nor do they have to publish contributions from alumni, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USC is getting either Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops. The only ones that worry my are Michigan and ND and I don't think either are opening this year.

Exactly. Fleck is not on a top 5 wish list at USC or top 10 at ND. Win something first. Damn. beat PSU, beat that bad UW team we are near equals with and win the West. The people in charge, the big money people at USC will cut out their funding if the AD backs a coach that may still be under .500 at years end. Fleck is going nowhere right now. Huge fan from day one but what has he won and who has he beat. lets get the PSU win . Right now i am ok with raising him into the top 25, win the west top 20, win the conference top 15. Love all these posts that want to give him whatever he wants. So easy to spending other people's money. It is not like donations have gone up 25 % or that two big donors came forward to pay off the debt or created a 20 million annuity for Fleck. The donors i know want to see more. Coyle is not going to knee jerk this in the middle of already crafting a positive relationship with Fleck. He knows there is time as is not prone to the panic attack of those that proceeded him with hires.

Exactly. Fleck is not on a top 5 wish list at USC or top 10 at ND. Win something first. Damn. beat PSU, beat that bad UW team we are near equals with and win the West. The people in charge, the big money people at USC will cut out their funding if the AD backs a coach that may still be under .500 at years end. Fleck is going nowhere right now. Huge fan from day one but what has he won and who has he beat. lets get the PSU win . Right now i am ok with raising him into the top 25, win the west top 20, win the conference top 15. Love all these posts that want to give him whatever he wants. So easy to spending other people's money. It is not like donations have gone up 25 % or that two big donors came forward to pay off the debt or created a 20 million annuity for Fleck. The donors i know want to see more. Coyle is not going to knee jerk this in the middle of already crafting a positive relationship with Fleck. He knows there is time as is not prone to the panic attack of those that proceeded him with hires.

Re: the bolded part...

????????????????????????????????? "Under .500"? And "Cut their funding"?

Could you clarify? I'm not sure what that's about.

They’ve won 10 games in a row with a team that ranks 10th in the conference in talent, and donors “want to see more?” If that attitude is widespread, I won’t blame him if he bolts.

per Megan:

Fleck’s $3.6 million salary for this season ranks 37th among all 130 FBS coaches and 11th of 14 coaches in the Big Ten Conference, according to USA Today.

Given the history of late fall/early winter contract extensions, Coyle and new University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel could be preparing to offer another re-up for Fleck, possibly timed with the Board of Regents meeting scheduled for Dec. 12-13.

Purdue hired Jeff Brohm as Boilermakers coach about a month before the Gophers hired Fleck. Brohm signed a similar contract, at $19.8 million for six years. But ahead of this season, he earned a new contract worth $36.8 million through 2025. Fleck could garner something similar, as the Gophers have beaten Purdue in each of the past two seasons.

Coyle does not typically address coaches’ contract statuses publicly during the season, but in the statement, he said the pair “will continue to have conversations” about Fleck’s long-term future leading the program.

Despite the terms of his current contract, Fleck could still leave after this season, as long as he pays the school his $4 million buyout. And with potential job openings at SEC schools such as Arkansas and South Carolina or traditional powerhouses such as Southern California, Fleck likely will be a candidate for some of the highest-profile jobs in the country.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...V7fRJM4D0w+WzkhEREvZrh8zzWHLbO+ZXKBLbJ2l1Sxg=

Go Gophers!!

Traditional powerhouses such as Southern California? How long has it been since they have done anything?

Traditional powerhouses such as Southern California? How long has it been since they have done anything?

With the talent they’re able to recruit (and already have on the roster), it could be a quick turnaround for a great coach.

Retaining PJ Fleck for the long haul, his salary is only part of the big picture.

Pay attention to things that will help the program be successful and stay successful. Increase the pay of key staff and assistant coaches so they are more likely to stay put with their families. Do whatever it takes for Gopher Athletics in general to go to new heights. A better recruiting budget and access to private jets from boosters, etc...

Lastly, it should be part of a long term strategic vision of the U. Mark Coyle mentioned that in his new hire press conference. I hope he means it. PJ Fleck intimated the same thing about goals and vision. Maybe, a TCF Bank Stadium expansion might not be pipe dreams after all.

Who knows what the future holds. Retaining PJ Fleck long term is the biggest part of it.

Since Dabo is the highest paid coach in the country, and Clemson is $9 million below us on this list, they can’t really use money as an excuse for not paying Fleck whatever it takes to retain him. I’m guessing Clemson’s assistants are well paid too.

Clemson also competes in less sports (number I saw was 15 compared to 23) so their costs are probably much lower.

Clemson also competes in less sports (number I saw was 15 compared to 23) so their costs are probably much lower.

Clemson has 17 varsity teams (https://clemsontigers.com/), while the Gophers have 23, which includes hockey for both men/women (expensive sports).

We also have Gymnastics and Swimming, both for men/women, which Clemson does not have. Swimming may not be that expensive in a sense, but we do have a top not swimming facility that I'm sure has some cost to upkeep. Also guessing we're one of the few varsity men's gymnastics teams in the country.

Would like to see the Gophs add men/women Lacrosse, as well as men's soccer, and men's vball (spring sport).

Last edited:

Top Bottom