Gophers football alumni lunching at Barney Pub in Dinkytown on Wednesday: Wayne King, Barry Mayer, Jim Carter, Tom Bienemann, Jim Marshall, Greg Gagne

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Gophers football alumni lunching at Barney Pub in Dinkytown on Wednesday: Wayne King, Barry Mayer, Jim Carter, Tom Bienemann, Jim Marshall, Greg Gagne, Craig Lofquist, Steve Thompson, Jim O’Brien, Bob Morgan, Ron King, Jim Brunzell, Kevin Hamm, Dick Peterson, Bob Brothen and Gene Rabel.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Gophers football alumni lunching at Barney Pub in Dinkytown on Wednesday: Wayne King, Barry Mayer, Jim Carter, Tom Bienemann, Jim Marshall, Greg Gagne, Craig Lofquist, Steve Thompson, Jim O’Brien, Bob Morgan, Ron King, Jim Brunzell, Kevin Hamm, Dick Peterson, Bob Brothen and Gene Rabel.

Go Gophers!!
What? And he didn't invite Opie and Andy?!

This crew must have been pretty far back. I've been watching Gophers for almost 40 years and not a single name rings a bell, except as a Twins shortstop.

This crew must have been pretty far back. I've been watching Gophers for almost 40 years and not a single name rings a bell, except as a Twins shortstop.
Gagne was late 60s. Gagne and "Jumpin" Jim Brunzell were successful AWA professional wrestlers.

I went to school with most of them. Ron King was from Chatfield, MN which always played against my home town of Preston. Barry Mayer was a GREAT running back that lived across from me in Territorial Hall in 1968. He was from North Dakota and was drafted by the Packers. Bobby Morgan played QB for the Gophers under Cal Stoll, Jim Carter is part of the M Club Hall of Fame. Was a GREAT fullback under Murray Warmath in the late 60's and went on to replace Ray Nitschke as middle LB for the Packers. Greg Gagne is the son of the late Verne Gagne. And "Jumpin" Jimmy Brunzell went on to fame and fortune in pro-wrestling as half of the tag team of the Killer Bees.

I went to school with most of them. Ron King was from Chatfield, MN which always played against my home town of Preston. Barry Mayer was a GREAT running back that lived across from me in Territorial Hall in 1968. He was from North Dakota and was drafted by the Packers. Bobby Morgan played QB for the Gophers under Cal Stoll, Jim Carter is part of the M Club Hall of Fame. Was a GREAT fullback under Murray Warmath in the late 60's and went on to replace Ray Nitschke as middle LB for the Packers. Greg Gagne is the son of the late Verne Gagne. And "Jumpin" Jimmy Brunzell went on to fame and fortune in pro-wrestling as half of the tag team of the Killer Bees.
Thanks for the nice summary. Was Jim Marshall the athletic trainer?

Gagne was late 60s. Gagne and "Jumpin" Jim Brunzell were successful AWA professional wrestlers.

Correct. Verne's kid. Greg Gagne (pronounced GAG-NEE) was the shortstop.

Greg the wrestler started his college career at Minnesota, and later transferred to Wyoming where he was a QB, though not a very good one from the stat line I've seen.

Top Bottom