Gophers football’s 2021 loss to Bowling Green stung, but defeat to Illinois was bigger blow

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Two words — “Bowling Green” — will live in infamy for the Gophers football program and its fans after Minnesota entered last September’s game against the struggling Mid-American Conference program as a 31-point favorite and exited with a 14-10 defeat.

That was bad. But perhaps worse was the U’s performance in November against an Illinois team that entered the game 3-6. A 14-point favorite, Minnesota lost 14-6 on its home field. With Minnesota finishing one win behind Big Ten West Division champion Iowa last season and missing out on the conference title game, the loss to Illini had much larger ramifications.

Go Gophers!!

I hated that game. Terrible offensive plan. Got outcoached too by ol’ Bert. Guy has Minnesota’s number.

Bowling Green and Illinois losses were unforgivable. But, loss to Iowa was also a big head scratcher after dominating in yardage and possession time.

Of course any season can be justified to have been a lot better if the losses had been wins. But, the Gophers failed to win those three games that they should have won and it they had, gulp, they would have been 11-1 and we’d all be calling 2019 a stepping stone. Woulda coulda shoulda. Yet, ironically it still doesn’t feel as empty and hopeless as a Mason season with a couple huge come from ahead losses.

The Illini loss was meaningless from a BG10 perspective. The Gophs would have been playing MI in the championship game with an Iowa win.
I'll add, Sanford should have been jettisoned after Bowling Green, but I think Illinois was the last straw for PJ. Something changed in the offense after that game.

Bowling Green and Illinois losses were unforgivable. But, loss to Iowa was also a big head scratcher after dominating in yardage and possession time.

Of course any season can be justified to have been a lot better if the losses had been wins. But, the Gophers failed to win those three games that they should have won and it they had, gulp, they would have been 11-1 and we’d all be calling 2019 a stepping stone. Woulda coulda shoulda. Yet, ironically it still doesn’t feel as empty and hopeless as a Mason season with a couple huge come from ahead losses.
Defense made too many mental mistakes!

I hated that game. Terrible offensive plan. Got outcoached too by ol’ Bert. Guy has Minnesota’s number.
When the offensive game plan doesn't get scrapped at some point that's on us, not really anything special by Bert.

Will be tough to beat this year too.

The Illini loss was meaningless from a BG10 perspective. The Gophs would have been playing MI in the championship game with an Iowa win.
9-3 would have been much better with a trip to Indy tied to it. Had they beat Illinois and BG and gone 10-2 and still missed Indy, it would have at least been a better bowl.

Best medicine for those two wrong-direction upset would be a year with no stinkers like that, and two unexpected wins where we are 14+ point dogs.

given how large the Illinois coach is these days, I would like to suggest that we start calling him "Jabba." it fits his girth and his personality.

Best medicine for those two wrong-direction upset would be a year with no stinkers like that, and two unexpected wins where we are 14+ point dogs.
If we are 14+ point dogs in two or more games, something went wrong this year.

Unless those 2 games are the B10 championship game vs OSU and a playoff game against Alabama.

Gophers were west co champs with a win against Illinois (though wouldn’t win the tiebreaker)

9-3 would have been much better with a trip to Indy tied to it. Had they beat Illinois and BG and gone 10-2 and still missed Indy, it would have at least been a better bowl.
10-2 and win the bowl it is a top 15 finish for the second time in 3 years and second time since 1963

I think they’d have ended up not changing bowls much but probably get Tennessee or Arizona state (both games that I think they’d have won)

It's easy to dissect the 2021 season and get hung up on the BG and Illinois games, but the sports universe has a way of evening these things out.

I think some people are forgetting some of the good fortunes we had in the 2019 season that led us to a 9-0 start. An amazing tiptoe catch on 4th and long at Fresno by CAB that forced overtime (don't think the Bulldogs made a bowl that year). Then, 3rd and 35 (?) losing late at home to Georgia Southern, which we convert and go on to score at the end of the game to win.

We celebrate those plays now, but if those don't go our way, 2019 turns out like last year - or worse. Point being, there are always gonna be some breaks or good fortune to put together a special season. 2021, we pissed two down our leg due to game-planning and lethargic play. Sucked to watch, but that's sports for you. Things don't always follow the statistical probabilities.

Here's to hoping we are more aggressive and better prepared in the early games in 2022 so we can enjoy another truly special season!

Agreed all three games were there. I look at PJ and unimaginative games plans and/or failing to go for the win and/or fascination with time of possession I can’t get my head around.

All three took me back to punting from WIs 37 yard-line on fourth and two in our first Game Day game.

I blame Sanford. Now that’s he’s gone and Kirk’s back, we’ll NEVER lose again 🤷🏻‍♂️ 12-0 baby!

Top Bottom