Gophers Finish Successful Home Schedule with Sweep of Penn State

Twynntown

Reaction score
The #2 Gophers (12-2-2-0 B1G, 23-4-5 Overall) and Penn State Nittany Lions (2-13-1-0 B1G, 6-22-2 Overall) played their season finale tonight at Mariucci Arena in front of 10,045.

Here is what I saw.

- Senior night. Unlike last year, when Seth Helgeson was the only player honored, this year had Mike Shibrowski, Jake Parenteau, Nate Condon, Justin Holl, & Tom Serratore. And imagine if Zach Budish, Nick Bjugstad, Mark Alt, Nate Schmidt and Erik Haula had stuck around.

- The Gophers just didn’t play inspired hockey the way they did on Friday night. They managed a win, but it wasn’t quite as fun to watch, as the previous night. But, a win is a win.

- I don’t know if I’ve seen as many frantic goal mouth scrambles for the puck as I did this weekend in front of the Penn State net.

Here are the post game comments:

Minnesota Head Coach Don Lucia:

Regarding the game…. “You know, it’s funny how it works sometimes. We weren’t sure if Tom (Serratore) was going to play until after warm-ups, and Shibby (Mike Shibrowski) played very well. It took him about five minutes to get comfortable in the net, when he hasn’t played in as long as he has. And I’m sure there were a few nerves for him, but I’m very happy with how he played. And for Tommy to get the game winning goal. He’s a heart and soul type of player, and a great roll player for us that has really fit in nice for our program. So just happy for our Seniors, and happy for our team. This was an important win for us tonight. Penn State’s building a program, and they’re doing it the right way. They compete, and they keep coming from start to finish. Good things are on the horizon for them. Give our guys credit. Sometimes you’ve gotta find a way to win, and gut one out. I think we did that tonight”

Regarding their home record…. “It closes a chapter of our home ice this year, and to go through this season with twenty games, and only one loss, it shows how well we’ve played at home all season long. A big part of it is, our goaltending has been so good, and we’ve scored enough to win. That part of it’s great. Now we close that chapter, and we’ll move into Ridder Arena for the rest of the year. Obviously, March is a big month, and we’re at Ohio State and Michigan, and then the next two weeks we’ll be at the Xcel Energy Center. A lot to look forward to, and a lot of work to do“

Regarding playing Shibrowski…. “I just felt it was the right thing to do, because of what he’s been to our program, and for what he’s given our program. And you know what, he helped us win the game. We have confidence in him, and that was no different tonight. It’s not easy to be a number two or number three goaltender in hockey. You don’t play that many games. And, obviously, if Adam (Wilcox) wasn’t having the kind of years he’s had, Shibby would have been able to get more games in. But he’s taking it with grace. All he does is work hard every day. He prepares, he stays out after practice, and he’s on the ice early. I can’t say enough about what a quality person Mike Shibrowski is. When hockey is over for him, he’s going to be very successful in whatever he does”

Regarding Tom Serratore…. “It’s not only important that you have your quote-unquote blue chip player that you recruit, you also have to have some great roll players too. Guys that understand their roll, accept their roll, are great teammates, and can contribute when called upon. That’s been the case with guys like that. Tom doesn’t get enough credit when he’s the guy that’s blocking a shot, or killing a penalty, or playing the body. His value isn’t on goals and assists, his value is those other parts of the game”

Regarding the Senior class…. “This group went through their difficult Freshman year. They were upset by Anchorage in the first round of the playoffs. If we had won that, we might have gotten into the NCAA tournament, but we didn’t. We knew that good things were on the horizon, because of how many of the Freshman played in the positions they were in. They just had to continue to grow. They’ve been able to do that and hang some banners. That’s what it’s about, trying to hang banners in this program and have success at the end of the year. They’ve been to the last couple of NCAA’s, and been to a Frozen Four. Hopefully, the way things ended last year, we can learn from it, and have a better ending this year.

Regarding Michael Brodzinski…. “You could tell there was a little rust to his game, and that’s natural. We’ve got seven healthy defenseman, and now there’s competition. A healthy guy that’s been a valuable member of that crew is going to have to sit out every night. Hopefully we can stay healthy, and figure out what the right mix is. And the right mix might be rotating guys from here on out”

Nate Condon:

Regarding the game …. “It was a little bit weird for me, playing so many games here. All the Seniors wanted to go out on a good note. I would have taken an easier win, but it was great having Shibrowski and Tommy having great games like that. It’s always something you’ll look back on and be proud of I think. We have a lot of Freshman and younger guys on our team that always produce for us, and any time we can get Seniors to produce as well, I think it’s great. I think this is a night that Tommy (Serratore) will always remember”

Regarding his class…. “When we came in, I think we were just above five hundred. We helped establish what Minnesota is supposed to be, and that’s what Coach always talks to us about. How our Sophomore and Junior season, we really established this program where it’s supposed to be, and hopefully we can keep that going here for the U of M. I think it’s just the group of guys we’ve got here right now. I think that our class going through it, we worked really hard, and had a mentality of being a good team player. You know. You might get an individual sometimes that want to play for themselves, and I think we’ve got a lot of great roll players in our class that have really done a great job of filling those voids, and chipping in where they can. It’s different for me, because I’m from out of state. But when I came in here three years ago, I was accepted very well. And the fans have really treated me great ever since I got here. It’s just really been one of those things where I blended in really nicely. I mean, I didn’t have the friends from high school hockey like everyone else did. It’s a great group of guys on the team that took me in, and it’s been a lot of fun here”

Tommy Serratore:

Regarding his game winning goal and celebration…. “Our line was buzzing for the most part. We started to connect there. Our team had kind of a rough second period there, so we went back into the locker room after the second and talked about what we had to do to get the job done. Fortunately our line stepped up and was able to put one away there. It’s a pretty good moment. Last run here on the big pond, so I couldn’t ask for a better moment to end my career here at Mariucci. It’s been a while, so just a lot of excitement. I was looking for the first person I could see to tackle, and that was Marsh. So he got the better of it. It always feels good. Goals are hard to come by in college. When you can put one away, obviously it feels good. I’ve gotta give my linemates credit as well. They’re the ones that were working, and I found the puck there in the middle. But they were working and got me there, and I was fortunate enough to tuck one away. It’s going to be a great memory, and something I’ll never forget, that’s for sure”

Regarding his injury Friday night…. “I was a little bit shaken up yesterday. Their big guy, Saar, got me a couple of times. I think he had a target on me. But I came back to the rink this morning and tested er out, and I was good to go. So, that’s all she wrote”

Mike Shibrowski:

Regarding how well he’s played…. “I don’t know if it’s me, I think it’s the guys in front of me. We’ve got a great team, and play great team defense. Coach (Mike) Guentzel does a great job with our guys, and makes sure we take care of our end first. And that goes right on down the line to Coach (Don) Lucia. That’s the main thing they stress. Take care of our end, and that builds offense”

Regarding starting tonight…. “Anytime you put on that jersey it’s special. And then you get out there and the band is playing the rouser… I definitely feel blessed, and glad I had the opportunity. I really tried to take it in. When we got around the circle to salute the fans, I got a tingle running down my spine. It was cool”

Regarding Tom Serratore…. “Great goal by Tommy. You can’t script it any better than that. Senior night for him. One of the hardest working guys. So that was cool”

The Gophers will head to Columbus next weekend for a pair with the Buckeyes. Game time is 6:30 PM (Central) on Friday night, with the game broadcast on Fox Sports North. Saturday’s game is at 5:30 PM, and will be shown on ESPNews network.

If my math is right, I think our magic number for clinching over the remaining contenders (in terms of wins, not points) is 2 for Wisconsin and 1 for Michigan. If OSU wins today, we clinch the first round bye. We could clinch the conference by splitting our last two series even if Wisco wins outs.

If my math is right, I think our magic number for clinching over the remaining contenders (in terms of wins, not points) is 2 for Wisconsin and 1 for Michigan. If OSU wins today, we clinch the first round bye. We could clinch the conference by splitting our last two series even if Wisco wins outs.

It's 6 points. Any combination of 6 points gained by the Gophers or lost by the Badgers clinches.

Top Bottom