Gophers Fans Are Garbage

GopherNation

Reaction score
The Gopher fans were bellow average yet again (so was the team). They didn't even stay to listen to the Illinois fan section cheer "this is our house." The barn that once was is no more.

I blame the fans for the piss poor basketball we've been subjected to.

Yup. Makes sense.

Minny fans are lame

It is just a fact folks. Probably not the diehards on this board, but there is something in the drinking water up there that makes the typical fans soft.

IU in its lowest hour a couple years ago had better and more vocal fan support.

"Tubby resurrected this team from the grave, yet he won't lift them to the heavens." - stocker08

He did wonders for our team and I appreciate it. He has the tools to make this team better. Why does he insist on the players he plays? We need offense, yet he limits hollins and armelin. I do not understand it.

Why am I not surprised that Illinois fans were acting like fools?

We only have 8 guys!

Subtracting Iverson, Ahanmisi, and Wiliams, who have no offensive game, we only have 5 guys!! Who else can play?

Shut the hell up. Maybe if you stood for more than just the dog show, we might actually have some atmosphere in the barn.

On TV, you could only hear the student section. The Illini fans were very noticeable at times, especially in the last 90 seconds or so when the result was not in doubt. I am not saying the student section sounded great tonight, but the rest of the fan base was nonexistent.

Fans stood throughout the dog show though!!!!

haha I was thinking the same thing. Sit during the game and stand at half time. Those legs get tired sitting for an hour straight! It seems to me that the old timers have it backwards.

it was unbelievable, at key points in the game when the student section tried to get everyone going and the crowd wouldn't even clap..

I haven't made it to the Barn in a few years, but from watching on TV, I get the impression that the Barn is not nearly what it used to be and is very likely in the bottom half of the Big 10 for intimidation factor. Watching games played at other arenas, the atmosphere is palpable. Watching games at the Barn, I often get the feeling that I'm watching a neutral site pre-season tourney game played in a gym.

Carver Hawkeye Arena had a much more raucous atmosphere last night that what we have seen at Williams for years.

The crowd was very loud at H-Carver during the Wisconsin game, and I could see fans standing and yelling on the sideline opposite the TV camera.

The fans facing the Cameras almost never move at Williams Arena, much less stand up once in a while.

Williams Arena is dead and gone. Its soul was swallowed by a bunch of knitting, book reading, non conforming color sweater wearing church mouse geezers.

They might as well tear it down and build something like Missouri and Oregon have at this point. Those two buildings are basketball only arenas with large capacities and great, steep sightlines. Pitt has nice new newer facility as well.

After the new arena arrives, then we can try to find some fans with a pulse.

It is time to start from scratch and build a slightly smaller Conseco Fieldhouse.

The student section got schooled

You won't like hearing this but given the orange krush had a fraction of the numbers and still was louder and better organized than our student section exposes this idea that the flaw at the barn is in the oldsters. If the student section started a cheer I never heard it but I sure heard the krush. Clearly there is not organization around cheers that lends itself to others joining in. "You're a pussy" while amusing is not apt to be picked up by the entire fan base.

You won't like hearing this but given the orange krush had a fraction of the numbers and still was louder and better organized than our student section exposes this idea that the flaw at the barn is in the oldsters. If the student section started a cheer I never heard it but I sure heard the krush. Clearly there is not organization around cheers that lends itself to others joining in. "You're a pussy" while amusing is not apt to be picked up by the entire fan base.

I'm not going to disagree with any of that. We tried to get a couple "We can't here you" chants started, but it never really got going. Unfortunately the Orange Crush did to us what we did to Michigan. It really sucks being on the other end of that one.

As much crap as the students (me included) give the rest of the fan base crap at times, we are very far from perfect. I couldn't believe how out of it the student section was when we were only down 4 late in the second half.

the mass exodus started under 1 minute, a possession after rodney hit the 3. give it a break.

haven't made it to the Barn in a few years, but from watching on TV, I get the impression that the Barn is not nearly what it used to be and is very likely in the bottom half of the Big 10 for intimidation factor

You do realize the only thing different about the fan base now and what it "use to be" is the student section. The rest of the arena is filled with long time season ticket holders that were everybit part of the Crazy barn days.

Pre Haskins scandal the Barn rocked ALL THE TIME. Then in came Monson and the barn Died.

There was no student section during those years. Just the old time ticket holders.

What has changed the barn is a direct result of the Monson era. (you can blame Monson or you can blame Haskins).

Coach Smith got hired and poof Corporate America bought up all the empty seats, took over the Barn just like they did at Mariucci Arena. Money talks. But it doesn't cheer.

It's not all old people who don't stand. It the young guy who comes to the game at the 10 minute mark of the first half and leaves with 5 minutes to go in the second half. He doesn't stand for the Rouser. He doesn't stand for anything. He's about 35 years old. Not a long time ticket holder but he could afford the seats and by gosh he likes being seen by Dave Mona and Joel Maturi. There's more of them than there are the old timers who were loud and proud for Mussleman, Dutcher and Haskins.

I am sick and tired of being lumped in with the new "Yuppie" fans as the cause for the demise of the barn's atmosphere.

Great post

You do realize the only thing different about the fan base now and what it "use to be" is the student section. The rest of the arena is filled with long time season ticket holders that were everybit part of the Crazy barn days.

Pre Haskins scandal the Barn rocked ALL THE TIME. Then in came Monson and the barn Died.

There was no student section during those years. Just the old time ticket holders.

What has changed the barn is a direct result of the Monson era. (you can blame Monson or you can blame Haskins).

Coach Smith got hired and poof Corporate America bought up all the empty seats, took over the Barn just like they did at Mariucci Arena. Money talks. But it doesn't cheer.

It's not all old people who don't stand. It the young guy who comes to the game at the 10 minute mark of the first half and leaves with 5 minutes to go in the second half. He doesn't stand for the Rouser. He doesn't stand for anything. He's about 35 years old. Not a long time ticket holder but he could afford the seats and by gosh he likes being seen by Dave Mona and Joel Maturi. There's more of them than there are the old timers who were loud and proud for Mussleman, Dutcher and Haskins.

I am sick and tired of being lumped in with the new "Yuppie" fans as the cause for the demise of the barn's atmosphere.
Tubby's first year I often sat with some friends in 117, & a well known business exec was there in front of us with his family. The kids were playing hand held games and he was smoozing the entire game. No attention to the game let alone cheering, no standing during the rouser, etc.
The front section next to the band that is comp tickets, often football players. They are usually young most U of M students too cool to cheer, and never move during the entire game.

Anybody think the style of offense we play has anything to do with the lack of excitement? Watching most games, our offense looks like inter-mural teams I played on (even pick-up games at old Cooke Hall). When we do actually run the fast break there seems to be an uptick in fan response.

+1000 for non-youngsters like me that cheer so loud for the Gophers so I can hardly talk the next day. All while standing. In reading this and threads like it, you get the impression that no one but the students cheer...bah!

Tubby's first year I often sat with some friends in 117, & a well known business exec was there in front of us with his family. The kids were playing hand held games and he was smoozing the entire game. No attention to the game let alone cheering, no standing during the rouser, etc.
The front section next to the band that is comp tickets, often football players. They are usually young most U of M students too cool to cheer, and never move during the entire game.

I have been sitting in 117 the past few years. That section is a joke. Standing up and being loud is highly frowned upon. In fact, I'm pretty sure they'd call security if you did it more than once.

A majority of MN sports fans are bandwagon jumpers. And Gopher basketball fans seem to be the worst of that genre collegiate or pro.

Top Bottom