Gophers Exhibition Game - MSU

I wasn't able to catch the game so I truly appreciate all of the analysis from you guys. I've got my DVR set for Monday though, can't wait to see what the guys looked like with my own eyes.

I've got it scheduled to record the replay tonight... Just wanted to let you know it is replaying sooner.

I emailed Teague and tubby help me out and send an email. A rotating schedule inside Minnesota d2 schools. It would be huge in state!

Let's see ...

2012 - Mankato State
2011 - Bemidji State, Augustana
2010 - Winona State
2009 - UMD, MN State-Moorhead
2008 - St. Cloud State, Northern State
2007 - Mankato State, Southwest State
2006 - Bemidji State, Winona State
2005 - Southwest State, UMD
2004 - St. Cloud State, St. Thomas
2003 - Concordia-St. Paul
2002 - Mankato State
2001 - UMD

My primary observation. Other than Mo, the Gophers look sleek. Players look in great shape. Welch, especially, looks like he's worked hard on his body. Understanding who the competition was last night, I don't think the Gophers are going to get pushed around. They "look like" a Big Ten basketball team.

I agree with this. I wasn't able to watch the game, from the clips that I've seen, they look much stronger and conditioned. With that said, though, I am a little surprised by the rebounding spread. Of course, it was only an exhibition game, but we only outrebounded them by 6, and they beat us on the offensive boards. Just found that interesting, but again, way too early for that to mean anything I think!

Andre Ingram may have been the biggest surprise to me from the game. He looked very assertive and although he fouled the guy on the play he had the most impressive defensive play of the night when he aggressively went up and authoritatively rejected the 6'9" fella's reverse dunk. .... and he also didn't brick his own dunk opportunity... which is nice.

Another comment that I would make is that we finished on our drives to the bucket... even Joe Coleman was finishing at the rim which was a major problem for him last year especially early in the season. This could very well be due to the level of the competition.

Id be really surprised if we make significant money from exhibition games vs d2 schools.

Well, as part of the season ticket package, I've paid $66 for those two exhibition games. Multiply that by the number of season tickets and it's a decent amount of change. Would probably pay for Tubby's wanting to buy our way out of a contract in case he decides his home non-conference schedule is too brutal ... um, never mind.

The Gophers looked good but not great. Getting out on shooters remains an issue, and I just don't see that issue going away considering the ***ing ball-line defense, so I guess we're just going to have to get used to it. Early in the first half it looked like they were in a simple vanilla man-to-man, but once they switched out of it, it was bombs away for MSU.

Mo, Rodney and Trevor were able to get inside at will, and it wasn't much of a test from that standpoint. Mo has such good footwork - it's going to be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup. Elliott will be a better fit coming off the bench IMO, because of the energy he brings.

Austin is such a smart player and arguably the only one who's mastered the ***ing ball-line defense. He was constantly in the passing lanes.

If Maverick is really a Big Ten caliber player, he would be able to finish around the hoop against a D2 team. He is not and did not.

Before the trade deadline, we should switch out Oto for Zach whatshisname from MSU. Oto needs to become good at something and soon.

A couple bad turnovers from Welch. I keep thinking that he's a confidence boost away from being a key contributor, which he was at certain points last year.

I really, really, really like the look of Buggs. He didn't get enough minutes to stretch his wings, but he looks smooth and confident and looks like he knows what he's doing out there. I think he'll make some plays for us this year if he gets opportunities.

Bad- Buggs is what I call really good raw material. That fast break finish he made showed a burst of speed and smoothness that reflects a ton of athleticism. I have to hand it to Tubby on this under the radar recruit- he's got potential.

Bad- Buggs is what I call really good raw material. That fast break finish he made showed a burst of speed and smoothness that reflects a ton of athleticism. I have to hand it to Tubby on this under the radar recruit- he's got potential.

Beej, many years ago I had lots of potential. Once I realized that, I turned potential in kinetic. I wish politicians could do that. :)

Let's see ...

2012 - Mankato State
2011 - Bemidji State, Augustana
2010 - Winona State
2009 - UMD, MN State-Moorhead
2008 - St. Cloud State, Northern State
2007 - Mankato State, Southwest State
2006 - Bemidji State, Winona State
2005 - Southwest State, UMD
2004 - St. Cloud State, St. Thomas
2003 - Concordia-St. Paul
2002 - Mankato State
2001 - UMD

U should read all of it! I said a rotating schedule @ those state schools instead of at the barn

Well, as part of the season ticket package, I've paid $66 for those two exhibition games. Multiply that by the number of season tickets and it's a decent amount of change. Would probably pay for Tubby's wanting to buy our way out of a contract in case he decides his home non-conference schedule is too brutal ... um, never mind.

I didn't know the exhibition games were covered in the season ticket package. Sorry I blew up

I've got it scheduled to record the replay tonight... Just wanted to let you know it is replaying sooner.

Damn, I didn't see it when I went through the guide last night. Is there any chance it's regional? I'm in Madison.

I see that the three-point defense is already in mid-season form.

I will repeat a dull and boring reply...Then get your ass out there as a walk on and show them how it is done.

I agree with this. I wasn't able to watch the game, from the clips that I've seen, they look much stronger and conditioned. With that said, though, I am a little surprised by the rebounding spread. Of course, it was only an exhibition game, but we only outrebounded them by 6, and they beat us on the offensive boards. Just found that interesting, but again, way too early for that to mean anything I think!

When a team like MnSU casts up 3s like it's their job, there are going to be plenty of long, unpredictable rebounds. I'm not too worried about getting beat on the offensive glass for reasons like that.

strengths and weaknesses

When a team like MnSU casts up 3s like it's their job, there are going to be plenty of long, unpredictable rebounds. I'm not too worried about getting beat on the offensive glass for reasons like that.

I think we will be one of the better rebounding teams in a tough big ten. The biggest worry for me still is point guard play in the big ten. Andre played great in the wide open NIT against run and gun teams, not counting Stanford. I hope he can mature at getting players easy shots and backets. I'd also probably prefer Welch to back him up then Maverick, they are both slow so no disadvantage.

I was excited with Rodney's physicality taking bumps and finishing. I think we may have the 2nd most physical team after michigan st in the big ten and that's saying something.

Top Bottom