Gophers Defensively

Reaction score
I really like the prospects of the Gophers defensively for next season. Of course this hinges a few prospects...

1. Robbins is eligible
2. Ihnen and Trey Williams make a sophomore jump (just the assumption that the largest jump in growth is from freshman to sophomore)
3. We get Walton (switching out KW for Willis, although I did like Willis would be a pretty substantial upgrade)

We would be an extremely long and have a shot blocking presence down low (although I don’t think he will be Reggie) Between Gabe and KW (if we get him) we may have two face guarding lock down defenders. I think TreyWilliams has a chance to be a Gabe lite at some point defensively. In addition, if Ihnen adds strength he will be extremely versatile and may be able to guard 4 positions. This would be extremely valuable. I haven’t checked the metrics but it seems when we have had shot blockers and long wing defenders in the past we have been really tough limiting the 3 which has become even more key than in the past because of the volume of 3’s taken in college basketball now compared to in the past. It would also lead to more run outs which I believe Pitino should put a focus on this year with the amount of speed and athleticism we should have. Just a few thoughts... let me know what you guys think ?

I personally think Gabe had better be working on his shot. With Robbins and Johnson coming in enabling Ihnen to move to his more natural position of SF and the prospect of 5* Kerwin Walton coming to the squad, there is a very real possibility of Gabe hitting the pine.

Don't frigging kill me. Hear me out.

Ihnen at 6'9" is just better suited to SF and shot better than Gabe from deep. Walton is a proven better shooter who has been taking clutch last second shots for years. And Gabe isn't taking Carr's spot. Not to mention that Tre Williams and Mashburn are not exactly slouches to compete against either. If Gabe shoots like crap again and cannot perform consistently I can easily see his minutes going elsewhere against all that he has earned here as Pitino has no room for loyalty anymore!

He is going to play the best 5 he has to stop the other team and score against the other team.

I personally think Gabe had better be working on his shot. With Robbins and Johnson coming in enabling Ihnen to move to his more natural position of SF and the prospect of 5* Kerwin Walton coming to the squad, there is a very real possibility of Gabe hitting the pine.

Ihnen at 6'9" is just better suited to SF and shot better than Gabe from deep. Walton is a proven better shooter who has been taking clutch last second shots for years. And Gabe isn't taking Carr's spot. Not to mention that Tre Williams and Mashburn are not exactly slouches to compete against either. If Gabe shoots like crap again and cannot perform consistently I can easily see his minutes going elsewhere against all that he has earned here as Pitino has no room for loyalty anymore!

He is going to play the best 5 he has to stop the other team and score against the other team.

Agree with everything you wrote. Also think that after last season Gabe is in a gym somewhere putting up
Iike a thousand shots a day. From all accounts he is a very hard worker and very competitive. Cant imagine last season sat well with him.

I actually think I may agree with you. Although I don’t know if it is a putting up more shots thing for Gabe. I do think Ihnen is our starting SF next year Gabe starts at SG (at least in the beginning of the year) and Walton and he split time or Pitino plays the hot hand. I just think we are not used to having discussions involving the Gophers and depth so it is tantalizingly confusing. If it played out the way you suggested I would be fine with that.

I think Gabe earns his starting spot based on his defense more than his shooting. I really hope his shooting does return to form, but I think he's locked in as a starter at the 2 spot. Although, he should definitely see a dip in minutes with Mashburn (and maybe KW) coming in...which should help his shooting. It's going to be so great to have some depth!

I think Gabe earns his starting spot based on his defense more than his shooting. I really hope his shooting does return to form, but I think he's locked in as a starter at the 2 spot. Although, he should definitely see a dip in minutes with Mashburn (and maybe KW) coming in...which should help his shooting. It's going to be so great to have some depth!

Gabe will not lose his spot period. He's too important defensively and from just a demeanor standpoint.

Agree. Maybe he plays 30 minutes instead of 35 and he shoots better...

Or maybe we defend as a team better and he's not on an island for that long. I don't think his shooting woes were just because he was tired. He missed just as many in the start of games as he did in the end. I think the bigger issue with his misses were two things:

1. He did not move as well without the ball this year or find space.
2. He missed Amir as a drive and kick guy to get him catch and shoot threes.

Top Bottom