Gophers bowl: Still no inside scoop?

MGGopher

Reaction score
Still no solid word on where the Gophers are headed? I know I can wait the 24 hours, but I've been dying to know since the Iowa game. Seems to me that somebody would have the scoop considering the varying degrees of "insider" knowledge proclaimed by some on this board in other threads.

Nothing will be official until tomorrow afternoon....but it will be the Insight Bowl again.

From Tim Staudt, a longtime sports director in Lansing:

"I suppose minds could be changed-- but after speaking with representatives again Friday of both bowls, I still think it's Michigan State vs. Texas Tech in the Alamo Bowl on January 2nd in San Antonio, Texas. Game time 9pm on ESPN. The MSU suspensions are an issue with the Alamo Bowl people, but the alternative-- taking Minnesota-- isn't much better if better at all. The Insight Bowl people in Tempe continue to tell me no deals have been made with the Alamo and they have placed no pressure on Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany to flip flop places and take MSU with Minnesota going to San Antonio. The issue is that the Gophers will then have been to Tempe two straight years and three times in the last four. But the Alamo Bowl people seem like they could care less-- they have their own problems. They hope MSU or any other school can sell the assigned allotment of 11,000 tickets. Northwestern couldn't do it last year and I doubt MSU would come close this year-- a 6-6 record, player suspensions and $530 rouond trip plane flights to San Antonio can do that."

He had previously reported "An Insight Bowl spokesman told me Thursday he fully expects Michigan State to face Texas Tech in the Alamo Bowl."

Awesome stuff, Jike...just what I was looking for. I've been scouring the net for a week--MSU, OU, and TT message boards, newspapers, etc. Surprised I didn't see that. Thanks again! Others hearing similar stuff? I'll be excited to watch any bowl, of course, but I was actually pretty sold on attending the game if it was Alamo...Insight, not so much.

It will not be the Rose Bowl vs Oregon or the Little Caesars Bowl vs Ohio.

Probably the Insight vs Missouri.

Interesting that Iowa State keeps getting talked about as maybe getting picked for the insight ahead of Missouri. Not sure that I see it happening though.

Des Moines Register

Alamo vs. Insight? If Texas does not find their offense soon, we may be spending some time in lovely Detroit.

I could see Iowa St picked due to larger fan following as well as a good match-up vs Minnesota. I think it would be ridiculous considering the record difference with Missouri, but I find it more favorable for us.

Yeah, I'm not sure why you think there's any inside info to be had, there are still games with direct implications for the Gophs.

I could see Iowa St picked due to larger fan following as well as a good match-up vs Minnesota. I think it would be ridiculous considering the record difference with Missouri, but I find it more favorable for us.

Serious question - I know the Mizzou fan base is so-so but is Iowa State's really better?

Serious question - I know the Mizzou fan base is so-so but is Iowa State's really better?

They brought a ton of fans to their last bowl game, mostly because it was there first bowl in like a million years. It's anyone's guess if they do that again.

The Mizzou fanbase is much much stronger than Iowa State's. They are the minority in their own state even.

ESPN and CBS sports both have us going to the Insight Bowl against Mizzou.

Top Bottom