Gophers BigTen Championship?

look at the preseason rankings bud. that seems to be the consensus

Why do you think we struggle with Illinois so much? We beat them last year in Assembly Hall in a game that shouldn't have been as close as it was. We blew a 19 point lead late in the game. I think we limited them to something like 14 points in the first half. We also limited them to 36 total points at the barn 2 years ago in a blow out win. I think we actually have Illinois' number. Tisdale and Mike Davis do not match up well with our much stronger frontcourt.

because before recent history we had lost to them something like 20 times in a row, spanning 10 years and multiple coaches? I call that struggling w/ a team. if you are a fairly new Gopher bball fan, you probably would think my remark silly. if you are not new to Gopher bball, I am shocked you would say that we "have Illinois' number"???? quite the contrary. don't get me wrong, I am glad we finally ended that pitiful streak, but I am hoping we are not merely the proverbial blind sow who found the kernel of corn.

because before recent history we had lost to them something like 20 times in a row, spanning 10 years and multiple coaches? I call that struggling w/ a team. if you are a fairly new Gopher bball fan, you probably would think my remark silly. if you are not new to Gopher bball, I am shocked you would say that we "have Illinois' number"???? quite the contrary. don't get me wrong, I am glad we finally ended that pitiful streak, but I am hoping we are not merely the proverbial blind sow who found the kernel of corn.

I was/am well aware of the streak. With that said, with the current rosters, we have absolutely given Illinois fits. We match up extremely well with them. The big three in McCamey, Tisdale, and Davis have been horribly inconsistent and Gophers have one 2 of the last 3 including one at Assembly Hall.

I agree not going to Assembly Hall is a break, but I would rather not have to go to MSU, PU, OSU, and maybe even UW this year.

I will give you that we match up much better with them now than we did, say, 5 years ago (I don't know that many teams matched up with them in 2005!)...however, I still strongly resist the claim that we have their number. it feels like a bold statement with only 2 wins against them in the last decade +. I will need to see proof of that yet again this season. I hope you are right and that game at home v the Illini is as easy as pie. and good call, I also would rather not go to the Breslin this year. I hate that place.

aside from the Illini, how do you see the Gophers in B10 play this season?

I will give you that we match up much better with them now than we did, say, 5 years ago (I don't know that many teams matched up with them in 2005!)...however, I still strongly resist the claim that we have their number. it feels like a bold statement with only 2 wins against them in the last decade +. I will need to see proof of that yet again this season. I hope you are right and that game at home v the Illini is as easy as pie. and good call, I also would rather not go to the Breslin this year. I hate that place.

aside from the Illini, how do you see the Gophers in B10 play this season?

I definitely don't think the home game is easy as pie and I can admit saying we have their number is a bit over the top though. I just think we match up with them better than a few other teams in the Big Ten. I was surprised you picked them to be our one and only home loss given the other options.

Well, I think we can avoid being swept by the teams ahead of us (again, I am on the fence w MSU) and winning at home seems the most likely. We aren't going 9-0 at home and Illinois is the calibur of team I think we will drop one to. I picked them because we do only play them once and we have struggled w them in the past. When looking at the schedule it jumped out at me. Perhaps the 20 game streak is still in my head and I too easily concede the Illini game, lol.

Your point? Look at last year's preseason rankings. Look at how many BT teams were ranked and then look at the final rankings. I argued on here that Michigan and Illinois were far from top 25 teams. Michigan was top 10 or 20 on almost every site. Look how that turned out. Those rankings mean absolutely nothing. If you're on this board by the end of the year, I'll be sure to remind you that the BT is far from having 4 top 10 teams.

look at the preseason rankings bud. that seems to be the consensus

Top Bottom