Gophers' Ben Johnson makes Big Ten Media Day debut as head coach: 'This is awesome for me.'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

It's been eight months since Ben Johnson was named the Gophers men's basketball coach, but Friday was another first time experience being able to promote his program at Big Ten Media Day.

Johnson followed fourth-year Gophers women's coach Lindsay Whalen to the podium after both were introduced by Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren.

"This is awesome for me," Johnson said. "I know I'm new to this, but I'm a kid who grew up watching and understand the tradition of the league. The coaches who have come through here and the players who have played here and the venues and atmosphere. I couldn't be more excited to be in the position I am."

The Gophers are picked to finish 14th in the unofficial Big Ten media poll. They were 14-15 in Richard Pitino's last season, but the Gophers were able to beat five ranked opponents at Williams Arena even during a season when COVID-19 restrictions zapped the atmosphere.

Johnson said he was looking forward to having fans back in college basketball, especially at the Barn.

"I know our fans base, I'll take them over any in the country," Johnson said. "Our guys are itching to get out there and get competing. I know Williams Arena will be packed. I know our fan base is ready. It's our job to bring the juice, bring the energy, and give them something to cheer for."

Go Gophers!!

He chose Northwestern over the U and possibly assisted in poisoning the mn recruiting field for Pitino. Too much bad possible bad karma with this guy. Audi5000

He chose Northwestern over the U and possibly assisted in poisoning the mn recruiting field for Pitino. Too much bad possible bad karma with this guy. Audi5000
He is going to be a really good coach. Smart, hard working, class act, kinda of a basketball version of Tony Dungy.

The barn will be packed? Is Ben buying all the tickets for this year with his salary?

the only sell outs will probably be WI and IA mainly because of their fan base

Top Bottom