Gophers Basketball ROCKED by Injuries in Coach Johnson's Second Season

Bfan

Reaction score
Last night against Maryland, Minnesota's best player Dawson Garcia missed another game with an injury. Garcia is one of several injuries that have rocked the Minnesota Gophers basketball program. Garcia injured his ankle during a well-played game against Michigan where the Gophers played competitive.

Garcia since has missed games against Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, and Maryland.

The rash of injuries that rocked the program started before the season even began. Isaiah Ihnen was pegged to be a key player in a strong Gophers defense in 2022-23. Devastatingly, Ihnen was lost for the entire season.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringm...r-gophers-will-be-all-about-ferocious-defense

If that weren't enough, the Gophers lost Parker Fox to an injury also before season game action even began.

The Gophers are in rebuild mode. Coach Ben Johnson has been playing his four freshmen extensively -- valuable training minutes -- along his rebuild timeline.

In last night's game against Maryland, freshman Pherrel Payne logged 31 minutes. freshman Joshua Ola-Joseph logged 34 minutes, and freshman Jaden Henley logged 29 minutes.

That strategy partly skid to the ditch when freshman Braeden Carrington -- the top scorer in the backcourt off the bench -- was injured and sidelined for a month.

As the Star Tribune reported: " Carrington, who averaged 6.2 points and 3.9 rebounds in 22 minutes this season, was Minnesota's Mr. Basketball last year after winning a state title at Park Center. Carrington's mother, Holly, said on social media that her son suffered a level 3 stress reaction in his fibula. "Keeping positive thoughts for a good recovery, so he can finish out the season," she tweeted Thursday afternoon. Earlier this season, Carrington scored 20 points on 4-for-7 shooting from three-point range in a Dec. 14 win against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. He also had 10 rebounds in a Dec. 11 loss to Mississippi State, and 15 points and eight rebounds in a Nov. 23 loss vs. UNLV in the SoCal Challenge in California."

Carrington is still out and has missed five games since his injury against Purdue.

Last night against Maryland Payne played through a foot injury. Payne recently missed a game due to a concussion. Jamison Battle has also battled injuries this season.

In addition to the heavy minutes for freshmen this season, rebuilding to next season, the Gophers have two exciting prospects coming in for next season -- Cameron Christie and Dennis Evans. Evans is projected to be a high NBA draft pick.

For now the team is weathering the cyclone injury tornado that has ravaged the team in Johnson's second season.

I don’t think Battle is fully healthy and is battling lingering affects of his foot surgery. When he came back didn’t seem right not to have a minute restriction.
He just looks slow because he is being guarded by wings and we run at atrocious offense. He isn't a guy who will excel at getting his own shot and this year kind of proves that. Unfortunately, we have 35 PFs and no wings, so expect to continue to see Battle playing out of position and expect to continue to see him struggle.

Last night against Maryland, Minnesota's best player Dawson Garcia missed another game with an injury. Garcia is one of several injuries that have rocked the Minnesota Gophers basketball program. Garcia injured his ankle during a well-played game against Michigan where the Gophers played competitive.

Garcia since has missed games against Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, and Maryland.

The rash of injuries that rocked the program started before the season even began. Isaiah Ihnen was pegged to be a key player in a strong Gophers defense in 2022-23. Devastatingly, Ihnen was lost for the entire season.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringm...r-gophers-will-be-all-about-ferocious-defense

If that weren't enough, the Gophers lost Parker Fox to an injury also before season game action even began.

The Gophers are in rebuild mode. Coach Ben Johnson has been playing his four freshmen extensively -- valuable training minutes -- along his rebuild timeline.

In last night's game against Maryland, freshman Pherrel Payne logged 31 minutes. freshman Joshua Ola-Joseph logged 34 minutes, and freshman Jaden Henley logged 29 minutes.

That strategy partly skid to the ditch when freshman Braeden Carrington -- the top scorer in the backcourt off the bench -- was injured and sidelined for a month.

As the Star Tribune reported: " Carrington, who averaged 6.2 points and 3.9 rebounds in 22 minutes this season, was Minnesota's Mr. Basketball last year after winning a state title at Park Center. Carrington's mother, Holly, said on social media that her son suffered a level 3 stress reaction in his fibula. "Keeping positive thoughts for a good recovery, so he can finish out the season," she tweeted Thursday afternoon. Earlier this season, Carrington scored 20 points on 4-for-7 shooting from three-point range in a Dec. 14 win against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. He also had 10 rebounds in a Dec. 11 loss to Mississippi State, and 15 points and eight rebounds in a Nov. 23 loss vs. UNLV in the SoCal Challenge in California."

Carrington is still out and has missed five games since his injury against Purdue.

Last night against Maryland Payne played through a foot injury. Payne recently missed a game due to a concussion. Jamison Battle has also battled injuries this season.

In addition to the heavy minutes for freshmen this season, rebuilding to next season, the Gophers have two exciting prospects coming in for next season -- Cameron Christie and Dennis Evans. Evans is projected to be a high NBA draft pick.

For now the team is weathering the cyclone injury tornado that has ravaged the team in Johnson's second season.
We were awful before Garcia went down and now we're one of the worst teams in the Big 10 over the last 30 years. We aren't really weathering it, we're shrinking in it.

That said, I'd love for someone to share that timeline with us fans.

If I put the O/U on Big 10 wins next year at 5, would you take the over or under?

We were awful before Garcia went down and now we're one of the worst teams in the Big 10 over the last 30 years. We aren't really weathering it, we're shrinking in it.

If I put the O/U on Big 10 wins next year at 5, would you take the over or under?
under

Typical national take on a team. Ihnen has played how much for the Gophers to be able to call that any kind of significant injury? Fox is not even worth mentioning. Like Bob said, even if we had them what would we do with our ridiculous amount of forwards?

And evidently no other team in history(including past Gopher teams) has had injuries to the extent this year's Gopher team has. /s

In fairness the team was playing a little better before Garcia and Carrington went down with injuries. That said, these last few games have been absolutely brutal without Garcia out there.

Doesn't feel like there is anyone on the current roster that can be counted on to hit a jump shot, Battle should be that guy but he hasn't been right all season. Whether that is related to the foot injury or how teams are playing him he has really struggled.

As for O/U next year of 5 Big Ten Wins. If we are looking at the under at this point next season there is a good chance Johnson gets fired after year 3.

This has been a lost season (outside of getting some valuable experience for the freshman). Year 3 will be a make or break year for Johnson, if there are not some clear signs of improvement in year 3 I have to think the administration considers a change. If we are dead last by a wide margin again they won't really have a choice.

Aside from the record next year, recruiting must remain at a high level for BJ to retain his job. Without that there isn’t a chance to keep climbing the standings anyway.

I don’t think Battle is fully healthy and is battling lingering affects of his foot surgery. When he came back didn’t seem right not to have a minute restriction.

He had a minute restriction. It was ignored so the Gophers could beat Cal Baptist.

Typical national take on a team. Ihnen has played how much for the Gophers to be able to call that any kind of significant injury? Fox is not even worth mentioning. Like Bob said, even if we had them what would we do with our ridiculous amount of forwards?

And evidently no other team in history(including past Gopher teams) has had injuries to the extent this year's Gopher team has. /s

Ihnen has career averages of 3.1pts and 3.1 rebounds. Though has never averaged 3 and 3 in a season.

So is this a bit? Bfan has 1100 messages since joining in April of 2022, and every one I've seen is a long diatribe on how CBJ walks on water. This is obviously a poster that has created an alternate identity to post under this name, but now I'm starting to think this is all a rouse and they are merely trolling us.

Either that, or this is a close family member of CBJ that has too much free time. I'm convinced these are the only two options.

Ihnen has career averages of 3.1pts and 3.1 rebounds. Though has never averaged 3 and 3 in a season.
Depending on who you talk to, Ihnen is a 2, 3, 4 or even 5. He has been hyped as a lockdown defender due to his length. The longer he doesn't play, the closer he'll turn into a hybrid of LeBron James and Stephen Curry.

Ihnen would be nice to have this year, and could be a decent role player. But some are hyping him entirely way too much. I'd say his career FT% of 81% would be a help to this team, but he's totaled all of 21 attempts in 654 career minutes played.

Just because he scores the most, that
Don't make him necessarily your best player !!

Excuses, worst guards offensively and defensively in the Big Ten by a wide margin.Carrington ? wouldn’t get a minute on any other team in the conference .Ihnen and Fox any better than Joseph or Henley? Maybe but you can’t say that with any certainty. Complete recruiting failure excluded this upcoming class hopefully.

In fairness the team was playing a little better before Garcia and Carrington went down with injuries. That said, these last few games have been absolutely brutal without Garcia out there.

Doesn't feel like there is anyone on the current roster that can be counted on to hit a jump shot, Battle should be that guy but he hasn't been right all season. Whether that is related to the foot injury or how teams are playing him he has really struggled.

As for O/U next year of 5 Big Ten Wins. If we are looking at the under at this point next season there is a good chance Johnson gets fired after year 3.

This has been a lost season (outside of getting some valuable experience for the freshman). Year 3 will be a make or break year for Johnson, if there are not some clear signs of improvement in year 3 I have to think the administration considers a change. If we are dead last by a wide margin again they won't really have a choice.

I’m home with a sick kid today. If time allows I was going to dig deeper on Garcia, Battle and the stats in games they play vs games they don’t. Turnovers, assists, rebounds, opponent shooting percentages, etc. Not sure what I’ll find but I believe good players make others better. I don’t necessarily believe Battle and Garcia do that.

So is this a bit? Bfan has 1100 messages since joining in April of 2022, and every one I've seen is a long diatribe on how CBJ walks on water. This is obviously a poster that has created an alternate identity to post under this name, but now I'm starting to think this is all a rouse and they are merely trolling us.

Either that, or this is a close family member of CBJ that has too much free time. I'm convinced these are the only two options.

I call it as I see it. This team is rocked by injuries.

You can see me post about many Gopher sports here. Look around. I have Gophers season tickets but not for men's basketball.

Saturday I attended women's hockey. Then I walked across the street to gymnastics (a first for me and mainly a time filler). Then I ate and went to the men's basketball that was bad (and walked out early which I never do).

I call it as I see it.

Go Gophers! I attended U of M.

I don't badmouth Evans and Carrington like others. Instead I am pulling for them.

Call me a Carrington, Henley and Christie fan -- the big need at SG/wing that must pan out.

This team is rocked by injuries.

Last edited:

In addition to the heavy minutes for freshmen this season, rebuilding to next season, the Gophers have two exciting prospects coming in for next season

And what is your opinion on that?

I pull for our young players. I am a Gopher fan, not a Gophers basher like other here bashing our young players and prospects.

Let's hear some support for our young guys and patience too.

And the team is rocked with injuries too.

And what is your opinion on that?

I pull for our young players. I am a Gopher fan, not a Gophers basher like other here bashing our young players and prospects.

Let's hear some support for our young guys and patience too.

And the team is rocked with injuries too.
Rocked by injuries? Yes, but that isn’t why they are losing this year. Nobody can hit open looks.

If fully healthy, this team would have 1-2 more wins. Let's not kid ourselves. Also "Gophers will be all about ferocious D" LOL. We've seen basically none of that. Must be the injuries. :rolleyes:

Aside from the record next year, recruiting must remain at a high level for BJ to retain his job. Without that there isn’t a chance to keep climbing the standings anyway.
To me this is the litmus test. They are going to finish last again with the known roster, no question. BJ needs to bring in another high level class, and not lose any of his classes through the portal else he has no argument to stand on.

If fully healthy, this team would have 1-2 more wins. Let's not kid ourselves. Also "Gophers will be all about ferocious D" LOL. We've seen basically none of that. Must be the injuries. :rolleyes:
Maybe.....

Top Bottom