Gophers-Badgers rivalry 'healthy,' says Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Pioneer Press:

Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez says that regardless of where Paul Bunyan's Axe is after the Badgers' rivalry game with Minnesota, the loser should get out of the way.

"I think both teams should know that the other team isn't going to stand around and shake hands after the game," Alvarez told the Pioneer Press during the Big Ten media days Thursday. "Whoever wins the game is gonna get that Axe and parade it. The losing team (should) just leave the field."

"I think the rivalry is healthy," Alvarez said. "The last two years have been good games."

http://www.twincities.com/localnews...dgers-rivalry-healthy-says-wisconsin-ad-barry

Go Gophers!!

I agree.

Stop with this nonsenses of protecting goalposts from the fake chop down

I agree.

Stop with this nonsenses of protecting goalposts from the fake chop down

Not to start fights on opponent message boards, but the "defend the goalposts" bit was flat out embarrassing. For decades the tradition has been to chop down the goal posts. If you don't want the goalposts chopped down on your field, win the game.

Not to start fights on opponent message boards, but the "defend the goalposts" bit was flat out embarrassing. For decades the tradition has been to chop down the goal posts. If you don't want the goalposts chopped down on your field, win the game.

The further away from your classless ahole of coach who now is the lead mascot for the pigs down south, the less this will happen.
That and when we take the axe back this season we'll properly instruct on how to handle a postgame celebration unlike bert and him by extension in his players did the past few years.
I seriously doubt for example that Kill would have his team sprint to the away tunnel and gather there before your players have left the field. It's common sense to avoid this type of conflict which alvarez explains in this article and bert and andersen apparently couldn't grasp.

You don't interfer with one tradition to do another, Singing Hail Minnesota after all home games is a tradition and take less than 5 min, go chop down the other goal post and run around while we sing. We'll clear the field afterwards and you can then chop down the goal post in the east endzone.

You don't interfer with one tradition to do another, Singing Hail Minnesota after all home games is a tradition and take less than 5 min, go chop down the other goal post and run around while we sing. We'll clear the field afterwards and you can then chop down the goal post in the east endzone.
Damn good point!

Who gives a rip what that fat ass thinks especially after his dimwitted kid microwaved a parakeet. If the Gophers win the ax I hope they take it and stick it right in front of his oversized pumpkin face.

First year it happened, you are correct. Second year, the Badgers waited and MN players still blocked the goal post. Blame on both sides for the incidents regarding the goal posts.

If I remember correctly, the year the we blocked the goalposts, Wisconsin did wait until after the team finished singing.

If I remember correctly, the year the we blocked the goalposts, Wisconsin did wait until after the team finished singing.

They waited about 15 seconds after the song. The goalposts aren't going anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously, we cannot complain about the manner in which it was done. Stop being so sensitive and just win.

Seriously, we cannot complain about the manner in which it was done. Stop being so sensitive and just win.

Yup. I think the Gopher camp is a bit too sensitive in this. When the Gophers win next, I hope we chop down every goal post in that whole damn state.

Yup. I think the Gopher camp is a bit too sensitive in this. When the Gophers win next, I hope we chop down every goal post in that whole damn state.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the goal post thing is stupid, and I hope we choose not to do it when we finally get the Axe.

Is it really a tradition that both teams have always done? My memory is a bit foggy since it's been so long, but I don't recall the Gophers doing any celebrating near the goal posts in 2003 - they stormed the sideline, grabbed the Axe, and paraded it around the perimeter of the field with the fans, which is the way it should be, IMO.

I think they should retire the trophy. It's clear that feelings have already been hurt, do we need to wait until someone gets physically hurt as well?

Maybe it's just me, but I think the goal post thing is stupid, and I hope we choose not to do it when we finally get the Axe.

Is it really a tradition that both teams have always done? My memory is a bit foggy since it's been so long, but I don't recall the Gophers doing any celebrating near the goal posts in 2003 - they stormed the sideline, grabbed the Axe, and paraded it around the perimeter of the field with the fans, which is the way it should be, IMO.

You're correct.....

Yep.

I think they used to chop down the goalposts with the slab of meat....or maybe the meat was chops or something.... anyway they just continued the tradion with the axe

First year it happened, you are correct. Second year, the Badgers waited and MN players still blocked the goal post. Blame on both sides for the incidents regarding the goal posts.

+08

Stupid moves by both teams. Unfortunately....the badgers won both meetings. Let's let them make mockeries of themselves after we win this year.

I think they should retire the trophy. It's clear that feelings have already been hurt, do we need to wait until someone gets physically hurt as well?

We could chop your head off. Wat you think!?

You're not alone on that, Jike. The goalpost chop (and the defending of the goalpost that goes with it) is stupid, cliche, and just plain old. Win it, grab it, and take it immediately toward the Gopher fans.

You're not alone on that, Jike. The goalpost chop (and the defending of the goalpost that goes with it) is stupid, cliche, and just plain old. Win it, grab it, and take it immediately toward the Gopher fans.

Agree SS....On the way though I would like to see them take a slight detour and parade it by Barry.

Top Bottom