Gophers at Nebraska post-game thread

The same people on here bitching each week how much we suck now pissed we don't control our destiny. This was never a B1G West championship team. We played even with Nebby today - the difference was #4. Honestly, nothing to hang our heads about tonight. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know people are upset, and we were a play or two away, which usually mean we are a player or two away. Look at Michigan State. They took their top QB and their team is Garbage now.
Bummer for sure, but I thought it was a fun game. Good effort by our boys, I think we're just a piece or two away from the next big step. We're good, getting better, still building towards a goal.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This. The pace and play calling was working. That was not the problem. The pass was the problem.

Liedner looked at one guy and one guy early, something a 5th year qb shouldn't be doing.

I try to put coherent thoughts on the Gophers together but I don't know what to say anymore. New season, same old shtick. Disappointing.

This is just my humble opinion, but these two teams were evenly-matched last night. They were almost exact clones of each other except that Armstrong made 2 or 3 big plays. That's it. That's what happens when two good teams play. The big throw on 3rd down, the TD run, a couple other scrambles. If Fyfe plays, MN probably wins something like 24-13. With Armstrong in there, it still could've went either way, just like the PSU and Iowa games. So for the other 40+ guys running around, our guys were almost exactly equal to their guys.

People are disappointed with our record. Hell, I'm disappointed with our record. Get 1 or 2 out of the 3 close games we've lost, and you're talking about a potentially magical season. We are what we are right now: a competitive, hard-nosed program that is playing close in every game. It sucks to be damn near even with these programs and continually lose, but that's where we're at. Some would argue we should be further along in year 6 of the Kill/Claeys era, but if I'd asked you 5, 10, or 25 years ago if you'd be happy with having legitimate B1G players at nearly every position and playing even with Nebraska, PSU, Iowa, etc., I think most would've take it. But as a HUGE fan -- like most of you -- I truly hope we can take that leap forward one of these years.

GOOD
>Mitch was good...until he wasn't. I'd argue that was his best game of the season throwing the ball. He put the ball in some tight windows and was hitting people out of their breaks. Even the 50/50 balls downfield were good decisions. The pick...yeah, we know. Bad Mitch.
>That first offensive drive of the game was beautiful. Mixing it up, Mitch putting the ball on target, on time. Man it'd be nice to see 2 or 3 more of these drives every game.
>Pass protection. Best protection I remember in the past few years. Part of it was the play action, but give credit where it's due: this OL has made HUGE strides in protection this season, and particularly the past few weeks. Leidner was barely touched or pressured last night...maybe 3 times?
>Steven Richardson. My goodness, what a beast. If officials actually watched him on every pass play, he'd draw a flag every time. He's so good. What are we going to do without him when he's gone...I shudder to think.
>Special teams. Carpenter nailed his FG, Santoso was FINALLY himself last night (hope that continues), and kick coverage was again solid. Oh, and Hardin looks really confident fielding kicks, so that's a positive moving forward. 2 more years of him back there.
>Lack of penalties. For all the outcry over this team's lack of discipline the first few weeks, I haven't heard much praise the past few weeks for the VAST improvement in this department. I think only 2 penalties last night?
>Wolitarsky looked like a B1G WR last night. What a rare occurrence for us to see...
>Aside from the one run, we contained Armstrong in the pocket and made him beat us with his arm. That's a huge win considering our history with athletic QB's. I thought the D played really well last night. 3 or 4 plays beat us, unfortunately...

BAD
>Myrick dropping that INT. Could've been the difference in this game. It was right in his hands...and he dropped it.
>OL push in the running game was again non-existent. This bunch just does not have it in them...and you can't win a game with 85 yards rushing. Part of it may be the amount of time we have to devote to pass pro in practice and game planning...not sure. But man, they are getting manhandled upfront in conference play.
>Another kickoff out of bounds. Carpenter has only one black mark on his otherwise stellar record, and it's these kickoffs out of bounds.

UGLY
>The interception. What to say? It was the only thing most people will remember about this game. Very ugly play.
>Attempted "tackling" on Nebraska's two long TD's. Trying to dive and push guys out of bounds? Come on fellas...
>Defensive recognition on those two plays was awful from start to finish. I'm not sure what defense we were playing on 4th and 2, but it wasn't a press man I would've liked to see. And the screen later was very poorly defended. Our DL and LB's usually do a better job with recognizing those, but nobody saw it last night...

I think you nailed pretty much everything although I would argue that Nebraska had a very sloppy game in terms of penalties that helped to make the game closer than it might have been. We had good field position, and then the negative punt before the half was the same as a fumble turnover. Huge.

We only had 209 yards before our final drive and ended with 265 yards. Run blocking was abysmal. Calhoun was dominated despite a combo block on that conversion attempt. Kind of a testament to how far we have to go as an offense. Much of our success on the ground this year has been secondary to phenomenal indivudual RB efforts, not because we are blowing open holes or even moving these guys off the line in many cases.

Liedner looked at one guy and one guy early, something a 5th year qb shouldn't be doing.

That was my problem with the last pass. It's not that it's a pick in the end but the decision to throw into bracketed coverage on a first down with a ton of time when the underneath guys were there

When our D-Line stays home they get dominated. Bottom line is that all the blitzing and stunting is done to try and get some pressure on the QB because the only guy on the DL that has any real shot to beat a Big Ten offensive lineman one on one on any sort of regular basis is Richardson.

I get what you're saying on a full-game basis, but in that situation, I think stunting is the wrong move. Nebraska is going to run the ball straight ahead three times. Have everyone stay home and bring the LBs up a step.

I try to put coherent thoughts on the Gophers together but I don't know what to say anymore. New season, same old shtick. Disappointing.

It might be time to scrap the Brick By Brick mantra in favor of "Gopher Football: I'm Not Mad, I'm Just Disappointed."

I keep saying this - and maybe someone will listen. Yeah, I know Claeys said this is the Gophers' "most talented" team - but just because the coach said it, doesn't mean it's true.
Look at the three losses - Iowa, the Gophers just played a REALLY bad game. Penn State and Nebraska - the other team made more plays because they had more dynamic play-makers on each side of the ball. The Gophers' O-Line was supposed to be bigger and stronger - but they get NO push at the line of scrimmage, and they aren't quick enough to get out and block at the 2nd level. Praising the pass protection is all well and good - but the Gophers' identity is supposed to be as a running team, and our O-line can't run block. That's a BIG problem.

Bottom line- the team with the better athletes won the game. If the other team has better athletes, you need to have a huge edge in coaching to win - better schemes, better execution - and I'm sorry, but that's not the case with the Gophers.

Going forward, if the Gophers are going to be a better program, they need better athletes and/or better coaching. At this point, I'm afraid they don't have the athletes, or the coaching, to be anything more than what they are - an average team that's going to win 6, 7 or 8 games a year depending on the schedule and injuries.

BUT - if anyone out there thinks that a magic coach is going to ride in on a white horse and turn this group of athletes into B1G champions, they're delusional. Need better athletes. Need better athletes. Need better athletes. Need better athletes.

I keep saying this - and maybe someone will listen. Yeah, I know Claeys said this is the Gophers' "most talented" team - but just because the coach said it, doesn't mean it's true.
Look at the three losses - Iowa, the Gophers just played a REALLY bad game. Penn State and Nebraska - the other team made more plays because they had more dynamic play-makers on each side of the ball. The Gophers' O-Line was supposed to be bigger and stronger - but they get NO push at the line of scrimmage, and they aren't quick enough to get out and block at the 2nd level. Praising the pass protection is all well and good - but the Gophers' identity is supposed to be as a running team, and our O-line can't run block. That's a BIG problem.

Bottom line- the team with the better athletes won the game. If the other team has better athletes, you need to have a huge edge in coaching to win - better schemes, better execution - and I'm sorry, but that's not the case with the Gophers.

Going forward, if the Gophers are going to be a better program, they need better athletes and/or better coaching. At this point, I'm afraid they don't have the athletes, or the coaching, to be anything more than what they are - an average team that's going to win 6, 7 or 8 games a year depending on the schedule and injuries.

BUT - if anyone out there thinks that a magic coach is going to ride in on a white horse and turn this group of athletes into B1G champions, they're delusional. Need better athletes. Need better athletes. Need better athletes. Need better athletes.

I'm of medium height and only 3/8 Norwegian, but I believe I am as ornery as you are and agree with this post 100%.

Right on the money.

There is no reason that pass on first down should have happened. JJ should have called for a run. We had 1:30 to score. Poor play calling.

Mitch looked to Woli, and Woli alone. Double covered.
Rashad Still was one on one and had inside position on his defender. Mitch chose the wrong receiver.

Mitch looked to Woli, and Woli alone. Double covered.
Rashad Still was one on one and had inside position on his defender. Mitch chose the wrong receiver.

I recognized what Mitch did. Every time I play NCAA on the Xbox versus my son I have a go to play in critical situations and you better believe I know exactly where I am going to throw before I snap the ball. It doesn't matter 1 bit what the D does, I know where I'm throwing. Sounds goofy to compare it to a real game, but seems to me that Mitch did exactly what I do on high pressure plays.

I recognized what Mitch did. Every time I play NCAA on the Xbox versus my son I have a go to play in critical situations and you better believe I know exactly where I am going to throw before I snap the ball. It doesn't matter 1 bit what the D does, I know where I'm throwing. Sounds goofy to compare it to a real game, but seems to me that Mitch did exactly what I do on high pressure plays.

well i mean minus the fact that the computer doesn't ever bracket cover you, then yes. haha

Well, don't keep us in suspense, but what is your success ratio in such critical play situations?

I watched Pitt beat Clemson and I was dazzled by their play calling and inventive plays. Johnson's play calling and plays are boring and highlyh predictable.

Mitch as a lst round choice when Dak Prescott was round 5 I believe, Brady, Montana, Tarkenton, Wilson, Johnny U...none of them were even 2nd rounders. If Leidner is a first round pick....NO if he is even drafted I will eat his helmet. His play has lost us all 3 games and Johnson hasn't helped us at all.

This is a game. Win or lose, just that. The U is a great school with good football. 5 straight BOWL seasons is above average. This is a good team in need of more creative play calling to hide our lack of speed on offense. Defense is stellar, in most cases. Claeys is a good coach that needs some breaks and to challenge his OC for MORE! Good game, just tough without more options. I, for one, am pleased with 7-3...could easily be 5-7, but we got some breaks along the way....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We played better than I thought we would. Are ineptitude at coaching and QB cost us the game again, which isn't terribly surprising. I can't see us winning either of the last 2 and Wisconsin is going to crush us. I'd say a 4 game losing streak costs Claeys his job. He better find a win someplace.

Wisconsin rolling us could happen, but doubtful. A better Ohio State team hasn't been able to do that in the last few tries, I don't see it coming from the Badger. It will be close and we will have a chance in the 4th quarter to take it. Up to seniors to make it happen.

"Going forward, if the Gophers are going to be a better program, they need better athletes... ." Um, I think this applies to almost every team in America, except Alabama.

I hate to be Mr Postive here, but Mitch did make some nice throws in plays in this game that I think should be recognized. They kept us in the game. I do agree that the interception really stunk.

1. This may have been on the last drive, but the pocket collapses, Mitch is getting sacked and he has the strength to stay up for a second and toss the ball the Rodney Smith who scoots for a first down.
2. There was a play I think in the Third quarter where the pocket collapsed and Mitch escaped out for a nice little third down run to pick up the first down.
3. The long throw to Still that would have dropped right into his hands had he not slowed down
4. The back shoulder throws to Carter and Johnson that should have been caught.

I am hoping for a good crowd on Saturday that arrives early and cheers on the seniors.

I hate to be Mr Postive here, but Mitch did make some nice throws in plays in this game that I think should be recognized. They kept us in the game. I do agree that the interception really stunk.

1. This may have been on the last drive, but the pocket collapses, Mitch is getting sacked and he has the strength to stay up for a second and toss the ball the Rodney Smith who scoots for a first down.
2. There was a play I think in the Third quarter where the pocket collapsed and Mitch escaped out for a nice little third down run to pick up the first down.
3. The long throw to Still that would have dropped right into his hands had he not slowed down
4. The back shoulder throws to Carter and Johnson that should have been caught.

I am hoping for a good crowd on Saturday that arrives early and cheers on the seniors.

False.

I watched Pitt beat Clemson and I was dazzled by their play calling and inventive plays. Johnson's play calling and plays are boring and highlyh predictable.

I get what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree but you need to remember that personnel can dictate what plays an OC can/will/should call. Limey was way more innovative at NIU. JJ was at ULL as well. Did they forget how to do that here or is the common denominator (our offensive players) the reason in both cases?

I get what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree but you need to remember that personnel can dictate what plays an OC can/will/should call. Limey was way more innovative at NIU. JJ was at ULL as well. Did they forget how to do that here or is the common denominator (our offensive players) the reason in both cases?

Plus, we may see the play book open up more with a QB at the helm that's only run JJs playbook (i.e. Green) or someone who has only a year of the limegrover playbook (i.e. Croft), vs someone who played a different playbook for 4 years. My bet is the playbook will be more creative next year.

Top Bottom