Gophers at Indiana comeback win from 97

I watched this game in the TV lounge at Pioneer Hall. I remember a bunch of people started to leave when we got down. Bobby hit some big shots down the stretch. Epic comeback. That is when I truly knew we had something special brewing that season.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-01-09-9701090268-story.html

I was at the game with the Creative Charters group. Heck of a fun memory.

I will say this: travel is exhausting...fly to Chicago, transfer planes to Indianapolis, bus to hotel and checkin. Bus to Bloomington for the game. Bus back to Indianapolis for a quick nights sleep. Bus to airport to fly back to Chicago. Transfer from Chicago to Minneapolis.

How do NBA guys do that 40-50 some times minimum a year with pre season and playoffs?
I can see why it is tough to win on the road in college. Travel is tiring....say Indiana, Penn State etc especially without an airport.

Fun though! Enjoy it!

Amazing game! I remember listening on the radio and thinking I should turn it off several times. I just kept listening, then I couldn't get to sleep afterwards! What a game!

The whole day on Thursday is MN games. The only two basketball games are Indiana 97 and the Hoffarber Indiana BTT game from 2008.

I watched this game in the TV lounge at Pioneer Hall. I remember a bunch of people started to leave when we got down. Bobby hit some big shots down the stretch. Epic comeback. That is when I truly knew we had something special brewing that season.
I was watching with my brother in law, and I remember saying to him late in the game that the reason for the loss is that the Gophs didn't play good enough defense. And then...WOW! Arguably the most enjoyable game of the season because of how it ended. Almost won it in regulation, but a layup rolled off the rim if I remember correctly.

Play of the game went to Brent Haskins for pointing out that the PA announcer or official scorer had incorrectly assessed 5 fouls to Sam Jacobson when he only had 4. Sam was reinserted then took over in OT! Great game!

First half over. Mega fast pace. Lots of TOs, but really fun to watch!

Just nuts. Knowing they won, I'm still sitting here with under a minute left watching Indiana making free throws and trying to figure out how the Gophers win this.

How do NBA guys do that 40-50 some times minimum a year with pre season and playoffs?
I can see why it is tough to win on the road in college. Travel is tiring....say Indiana, Penn State etc especially without an airport.

They fly in chartered planes to avoid having to transfer flights; buses drop them off and pick them up on the tarmac so there's no waiting in lines to board or at the baggage carousel or for rental cars; they're already checked in when they get to the hotel (typically 5-star lodging), so they get a key packet and go directly to their rooms without ever having to touch their luggage. It's a great life and make the grind much more palatable...I know because I once worked for a MLB team and traveled with the team regularly. Once you travel like a king you never want to travel like a peasant again. :)

Fun comeback to watch last night. I knew the ending, but was still on the edge of my seat.

That was a fun game to re-watch. I forgot how much talent Indiana had on that team, and even though they were only 9-7 in the Big Ten, but they did beat Oklahoma and gave UCONN a game in the NCAA. (I had to look it up) Andrae Patterson had a great game, and I forgot how strong, but polished of an offensive player he was.

AJ Guyton was pretty impressive as well, but the relentless pace and even better depth of Minnesota was too much for them. The unfortunate story of Neil Reid had not yet played out, but he looked pretty good in this game as well (#5). Luke Recker was on the team but he did not play at all.

I am not sure what the stats said, and people noted that Sam Jacobson was great that night, but Quincy Lewis hit a ton of tough shots and 3 pointers in that game, I forgot how good he was from deep despite being a long player. Lewis made the difference that night, along with Bobby Jackson and the general depth I also forgot how fast and quick of a burst Eric Harris had. His injury at the end of the year hurt the team as much as anything, even though he played through it. I think it was a shoulder.

It would be nice to have four big and tough players today like John Thomas, Miles Tarver, Courtney James and Trevor Winter (big).

"It would be nice to have four big and tough players today like John Thomas, Miles Tarver, Courtney James and Trevor Winter (big)."
Yes, nice hard nosed effective group. We could certainly have that if we rotated four in Robbins, Johnson, Omersa and Freeman. Those guys match up pretty well.
Courtney James...Robbins
John Thomas....Johnson
Miles Tarver...Omersa
Trevor Winter...Freeman or if you prefer Mitchell
plus we have Curry to pick up the slack or more if he is healthy. Clem's guys were workmanlike and effective but if Richard would give his group similar responsibility they'd be better than Clem's. I know John Thomas played in the NBA but so could a couple of the present guys if the team had similar success.
Lotta candidates to be superior and we were pretty good!

That was a fun game to re-watch. I forgot how much talent Indiana had on that team, and even though they were only 9-7 in the Big Ten, but they did beat Oklahoma and gave UCONN a game in the NCAA. (I had to look it up) Andrae Patterson had a great game, and I forgot how strong, but polished of an offensive player he was.

AJ Guyton was pretty impressive as well, but the relentless pace and even better depth of Minnesota was too much for them. The unfortunate story of Neil Reid had not yet played out, but he looked pretty good in this game as well (#5). Luke Recker was on the team but he did not play at all.

I am not sure what the stats said, and people noted that Sam Jacobson was great that night, but Quincy Lewis hit a ton of tough shots and 3 pointers in that game, I forgot how good he was from deep despite being a long player. Lewis made the difference that night, along with Bobby Jackson and the general depth I also forgot how fast and quick of a burst Eric Harris had. His injury at the end of the year hurt the team as much as anything, even though he played through it. I think it was a shoulder.

It would be nice to have four big and tough players today like John Thomas, Miles Tarver, Courtney James and Trevor Winter (big).
You nailed it. Honestly, the last time I watched that team this intently was 20 something odd years ago; and I was waist deep in Busch Light returnables at the time. They were deep up front and plenty competent in the backcourt.

Indiana got smoked by Colorado in round 1 of that tournament.

Top Bottom